Author Topic: Great Lakes Warriors  (Read 10506 times)

Offline JP

Great Lakes Warriors
« on: July 22, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
T Cro, are you one?  Were you interviewed or going to be on the show?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Great Lakes Warriors
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
Funny you should ask.... The company I work for www.andrie.com was indeed asked to which we declined.... We work long term contracts for fairly high profile companies such as Amoco, BP, Marathon, Lafarge, Dow and the last thing they would want is us on the old boob tube doing anything that looks remotely dangerous. Plus a lot of the work we do borders down right boring; take my rig for example I work on a 550-foot ATB (Articulated Tug & Barge) think of a ship made in two pieces with a great big hinge between the two pieces. We can carry up to 17,000 tons of dry powdered cement in our holds and deliver it to various ports as quickly as we can in a never ending cycle. My barge is like a factory full of motors, pumps, compressors, and huge conveyor belts etc.

The company that they did film is Selvic Marine and while I'll not bad mouth them here I don't have much good to say about them either.....  Hint > :chugbeer:

Look us up on the web I work on the Motor Vessel Samuel de Champlain & Barge Innovation... Fun fact right now I'm traveling at 12.4 MPH and burning 275 Gallon Per Mile of diesel fuel this is my economy mode as I can burn upwards of 350 GPM
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Stasch

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
Friend from work has been telling me to watch this.  He was in USCG in the 80's and was on some of the ships shown on the show.  He was on an ice breaker in Superior some of the time.  He's shown me pics of him jumping to buoys from the ship to service them, back when they had bulbs and batteries.

He was also involved with pulling buoys for the winter to replace them with the thin ones which was an extremely hazardous job.  I was shocked and amazed to learn those things can weigh several tons, with another several tons on the buoy's anchor.

He did a tour on the Atlantic and the salt water guys always thought they had tougher seas - until they talked to the guys that were on the Great Lakes - particularly Superior.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Look us up on the web I work on the Motor Vessel Samuel de Champlain & Barge Innovation... Fun fact right now I'm traveling at 12.4 MPH and burning 275 Gallon Per Mile of diesel fuel this is my economy mode as I can burn upwards of 350 GPM

That is horrific mileage. 

You need to pull the carbs and send them to SISF's carb spa. 

He'll get you into the 40's for sure.

Be sure to get the overflow tubes put in while you're at it to avoid hydrolock.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
burning 275 Gallon Per Mile of diesel fuel this is my economy mode as I can burn upwards of 350 GPM
Guess we shouldn't complain about E10 reducing our bike/car/truck fuel mileage...
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

Tony,
   You still runnin' those locomotive diesel engines that were in the engine bay when I toured the ship?
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:11:51 AM »
  Tony,
   You still runnin' those locomotive diesel engines that were in the engine bay when I toured the ship?

Were they yellow or gray? I don't remember anymore. As on the boat you toured now called the G. L. Ostrander we pulled the 8 cylinder 4-stroke 3608 CAT 3,300 HP engines (yellow) in favor of the 20 cylinder 2-stoke EMD 645 3,600 HP (gray) which is a true loco engine from the 70's and still very popular today. Fact EMD is the ONLY manf who an EPA complaint 2-stoke....

Here are a couple of pic of the engines we installed as well as the engines we removed and pic of the unit I'm engineering on today which is a newer version of the one you toured a while back.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
that show was pretty interesting, especially the "salty" language they let slip thru... ;D

I had a few friends that were working for G/L shipping over the years, best story I heard was when my pal called me and told me he needed to get picked up because the boat he was on The Irving S. Olds, no small boat really, got run into from the stern by the ARMCO.... not a small boat, he told me they sounded the alarms almost a half hour before the colision, and just waited for it, as the ARMCO could not stop in the distance between them, and the Olds was locked into the Ice.....they just had to sit and wait for the crash.....what a trip.

got to go into the bowels of this beast once, when I was working for G&W industries, shipbuilders/repair in Cleveland..

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/ama.htm

that was the last boat that saw the Edmund Fitzgerald, and first on the scene....
people really understimate the size of these beasts....... ???

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..