Author Topic: Amazing railway track laying machine  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Conrad

Amazing railway track laying machine
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:09 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Amazing railway track laying machine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
Very impressive.  Seems like they have to handle the rock quite a few times. It looks to be a lot faster that swinging a hammer.
I wonder how much it can lay in a day?
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
Plasser (German company), which makes that type of equipment, is one of my clients.  They have a plant in Chesapeake, VA.  They make the 09-3X here in the States.  Don't know if they export it, though.  More than likely it's sourced in Germany.  The video is of a Belgian railroad.  I don't think we use too much concrete ties here.  It's done but not a lot.

http://plasseramerican.com

Nice people.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Plasser (German company), which makes that type of equipment, is one of my clients.  They have a plant in Chesapeake, VA.  They make the 09-3X here in the States.  Don't know if they export it, though.  More than likely it's sourced in Germany.  The video is of a Belgian railroad.  I don't think we use too much concrete ties here.  It's done but not a lot.

Nice people.

They upgraded the main line through the highest part of the central Rockies last year and they used concrete ties.

Do they still call them John Henry machines?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 04:25:12 AM »

Nice people.

Thanks for the info Jim.   :thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »
Dear union fat-cat bossman.....

hehe never mind
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
They upgraded the main line through the highest part of the central Rockies last year and they used concrete ties.
Some of the freight lines by me have been upgraded to concrete ties.  Other sections are currently being replaced with new wood.  I'd assume there is a reason.

I think the high-speed sections where the Amtrak Acela runs between DC and Boston are concrete. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
Yeah, in Germany 'wooden' railroad ties are concrete and the rail 'spikes' are screws. :-)   High speed rail basically requires concrete ties for rigidity so that is about all that is used in Europe. Most of the US still uses relatively slow trains and wood ties work fine for that and are less expensive. Also, wood is a lot more plentiful in the US then it is in most of the developed world so we tend to use it more than other modern countries. That was one of the big attractions of North America to the Brits; the old growth wood that was big, tall and straight enough to serve as ships masts after there was none left in Britain.

That automated track laying equipment really is impressive, great video.

Brian

Nice people.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:23:06 AM »
Yeah, in Germany 'wooden' railroad ties are concrete and the rail 'spikes' are screws. :-)   High speed rail basically requires concrete ties for rigidity so that is about all that is used in Europe. Most of the US still uses relatively slow trains and wood ties work fine for that and are less expensive. Also, wood is a lot more plentiful in the US then it is in most of the developed world so we tend to use it more than other modern countries. That was one of the big attractions of North America to the Brits; the old growth wood that was big, tall and straight enough to serve as ships masts after there was none left in Britain.

I've also seen the use of plastic ties in place of wood; has some flexibility and does not rot.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline ugocon

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:09 AM »
That's simply AMAZING !!!!  :o

Thank you for posting it!  :)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »

That automated track laying equipment really is impressive, great video.

Brian

After riding the 200 mph TGV in France a lot I can see why they have to use perfect concrete ties.