Author Topic: Money no object, whats the best brake upgrade for the C10?  (Read 13097 times)

Offline ATC Buckeye

Re: Money no object, whats the best brake upgrade for the C10?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 09:23:18 AM »
Crap.  I would love a set but I hear what you're saying.  I think I even have a pair of zrx calipers laying around in the garage.  I guess my only option right now is to order those sv brackets and hope they fit. 

Offline GF-in-CA

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 11:00:15 AM »
I did some investigation into the SV brackets, short of trying to mount them.  I'm pretty sure you would need to use some sort of spacers to place the caliper in the right position relative to the plane of the rotor.  The SV brackets mount to the outside of the caliper tabs on the forks, and the SV tabs are undoubtedly a different thickness than the C10 tabs, so the SV brackets would put the caliper in a different side-to-side postion than is needed for the C10.  BTW, I stopped my investigation when I heard Jim S. was working on a solution, so IMO, I would wait till those adapters are available, since they will fit without any adjustments.

HTH,
Gary F.
1998 C10
California North State

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 01:35:37 PM »
Shoot.  I was afraid of that.   Oh well I guess the wait continues, which is okay cuz the deep freeze is coming anyway!   I really think if anyone makes these brackets they'll sell like hotcakes!

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »
I did some investigation into the SV brackets, short of trying to mount them.  I'm pretty sure you would need to use some sort of spacers to place the caliper in the right position relative to the plane of the rotor.  The SV brackets mount to the outside of the caliper tabs on the forks, and the SV tabs are undoubtedly a different thickness than the C10 tabs, so the SV brackets would put the caliper in a different side-to-side postion than is needed for the C10.  BTW, I stopped my investigation when I heard Jim S. was working on a solution, so IMO, I would wait till those adapters are available, since they will fit without any adjustments.

HTH,

I just emailed my secret agent on the brake brackets to see where he stands, when I hear back I will update everyone.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »
Hey Jim, say hello to Kev.... I mean your secret agent for me..... Wylie isn't the same without him.....
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
Money no object and no one's mentioned the ZRX Front-end Swap? Twin 6-piston calipers, 310mm discs, and a fully adjustable cartridge fork to boot.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=27.0

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 04:55:42 PM »
I used to own a Rex, and yeah the brakes were pretty good on that bike.   I've totally Race-tech'ed my stock forks though, so I'm not sure this is a route I want to go.  I think I've even got a pair of Rex calipers in the garage.  I sure wish someone would make brackets to let me bolt those on.

Offline Motor Head

• Resurected Concours, $260 Purchase & Counting
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 05:58:18 PM »
 Just curious, did you contact the guys in Canada? Otherwise I guess something is in the works? Maybe by spring riding?
 Otherwise a local welding shop could fab up some, but for how much? 1 Off brackets might cost a bit.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
Who are the guys in Canada?  I've lost track of who's making what as far as brakes are concerned.   I'll go do some searching.

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
 Go back to page 1 and look at the brackets from SV Racing I posted. I still think the DL650 brackets are the ones, same caliper and rotor dimension as the later C10.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »
Ah yes, those ones.  Based on what GF-in-CA posted, I was thinking those probably won't work but I will email them and see if they will let me return em if they don't fit.

Offline Motor Head

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
650DL is the ones I found the link to, but I would have to search it all over again to find it. Hopefully they will work, you can report back to the others here, and if they so choose they can also get a set, etc.
 If not hopefully they will take returns, if not Feebay them.
1990 ZG1000 C10
1982 KZ1000 LTD

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 08:28:57 PM »
Just curious, did you contact the guys in Canada? Otherwise I guess something is in the works? Maybe by spring riding?
 Otherwise a local welding shop could fab up some, but for how much? 1 Off brackets might cost a bit.

Yes there is something in the works, just hang in there.
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 03:08:03 AM »
Yes there is something in the works, just hang in there.

Perfect, sounds like a good winter project.  Can you tell me what calipers these brackets will work with?