Author Topic: Cross country (US) ride, maybe a CC 50  (Read 4359 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Cross country (US) ride, maybe a CC 50
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
So I have an opportunity here that I think I just have to try. I have to be in Tacoma, WA in June and am going to ride there (I live in RI on the east or 'right' coast). Having done some long distance riding and looking to expand on that, I am going to try to squeeze in a CC 50, which is an Iron Butt Association recognized event: coast to coast across the US in 50 hours or less. Most people who do this use the southern route, basically from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA (or the other way) as that is the shortest distance across the continental US and right around 2350 miles. Unfortunately I have to start in RI and end up in WA so the southern route is not going to happen. The route shown below is about 3100 miles, although the time limit is still 50 hours.

I have a SPOT locator and will post the URL for the map showing my progress (or lack of progress) in almost real time- it is updated every 10 minutes and I will leave the tracking feature on for the duration of the trip. Please feel free to take a look, and if the track stops suddenly long before the coast, feel free to point and laugh.  ;)

I am confident in a successful CC50 because of the Michelin PR2s on the bike (not really, that was just for Cap'n Bob). Of course KiPass will carry the day and bring the bike to the coast even if I am not on it (again not really, that was just for Steve). I have no real expectations other than this will no doubt be a grueling trip whether I make it w/in the alloted 50 hours or not.

Any useful thoughts or non useful but amusing thoughts gratefully accepted. Roughly the route will be from the coast of RI to Chicago, IL, and on to the Pacific coast in Washington state. As everyone can see in the map below, it is three easy steps, A to B to C.

The timing of the ride will basically hinge around Chicago as I would like to pass through that area in the middle of the night to avoid potential traffic jams. Otherwise the route looks pretty open with the exception of passing through Tacoma. I would like to avoid these major cities if at all possible but I don’t think it is practical to ride around either Chicago or Tacoma.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Bob

Re: Cross country (US) ride, maybe a CC 50
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 05:37:38 PM »
Brian, we talked quite a bit about this. I worry about you doing this! I truly think your nuts! But hey I've never been into the saddle-sore and iron-butt stuff myself. I truly wish you luck.  ???
 But I for one will not ever look down on you for pulling the plug on this mid way. Your safety isn't worth it, IMO. But if you pull it off. What will be the next feat of danger?  :))
 Good luck and I'll be following along on the spot locater. Just don't take the helmet off when riding!!1  :-\

You'll need luck it seems. KIPASS and PR2's. You already have two strikes against you before you even start!  :))

Offline Gsun

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
When would you be in Tacoma? Maybe we could meet up with a few PNW'ers and have a coffee or bite? Not often we get a right coaster out this way!

Offline accbiker

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »
Brian:

Good luck with that route.  Please share your spot link, I would love to follow your travels.  I think very, very few riders have ever been successful with the northern route.  The more common northern route is NYC to SF.

I have the southern route on my radar for next year, so I would love to hear about how your attempt goes and any advice that you may have.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 05:55:50 AM »
Thanks for the concern Bob but I've wanted to do something like this for some time and opportunity knocks as I have to go to Tacoma anyway.

As far as dropping out due to fatigue, by all means point and laugh. I mean it is only two days.  Even Mary Jane Tinklepants should be able to make that, right? ::)

Not to worry (or overly worry) while the trip does have risks I expect to get to the other side. Some of the risk I can shift the odds, some of it, like 'forest rats' (deer), I cannot. But we all take those risks everytime we throw a leg over a motorcycle. Deer strikes can be deadly either way but they are MUCH more survivable when riding in a car.

Thanks again for the concern Bob.

Brian

Brian, we talked quite a bit about this. I worry about you doing this! I truly think your nuts! But hey I've never been into the saddle-sore and iron-butt stuff myself. I truly wish you luck.  ???
 But I for one will not ever look down on you for pulling the plug on this mid way. Your safety isn't worth it, IMO. But if you pull it off. What will be the next feat of danger?  :))
 Good luck and I'll be following along on the spot locater. Just don't take the helmet off when riding!!1  :-\

You'll need luck it seems. KIPASS and PR2's. You already have two strikes against you before you even start!  :))
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:00:09 AM »
I should be there somewhere between the 8th and the 11th depending on weather. I will change my start time by a few days to avoid any particularly bad patches of weather, if at all possible.

It would be great to meet up with some PNW folks. I could pass along some of our secrets to clipping speech (dropping 'R's is most important but only one of our tools) so you can get through conversations faster.  ;D 

I expect to have access to both the forums and my e-mail while in WA so drop a line and maybe we can meet up somewhere.

Brian

When would you be in Tacoma? Maybe we could meet up with a few PNW'ers and have a coffee or bite? Not often we get a right coaster out this way!

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 06:33:40 AM »
Brian, good luck with this and keep the rubber side down! I'll be watching for the updates on your whereabouts. Love to try something like this, but my business never gives me much schedule freedom.

Chicago late at night shouldn't be a problem. That's usually the time I pass through. Once clear of Chi-town, you should be in the clear. Say "hi" to the third-shift State Troopers in Iowa for me! I know they miss my contributions to the Iowa state finances.  ;D

Offline koval68

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »
I wish you good luck Brian! I'll be watching your progress (or lack off); CC50 is on my list of the 100 things to do before I die, so I'm very much interested in your journey(especially The Northern Route).
Have a safe ride! ( I know that your positive attitude, optimism and great sense of humor will get you through it.)

Optimism is essential to achievement and it is also the foundation of courage and true progress.
Nicholas M. Butler

Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
Brian - Family in Colo keep telling me they are expecting record runoff and stream/river flooding as the snow melt gets going due to record snow pack still in the mtns.  See ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf for a "snowpack" map.  Not sure where your route parallels and or crosses streams/rivers - be prepared for possible road closings and LONG detours.   
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 11:48:50 AM »
Yeah, I will be passing through that but only for three or four states.  >:(  Thanks for the head's up but there isn't much I can do about it other than to forge ahead and see how it goes.

Brian

Brian - Family in Colo keep telling me they are expecting record runoff and stream/river flooding as the snow melt gets going due to record snow pack still in the mtns.  See ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/west_swepctnormal_update.pdf for a "snowpack" map.  Not sure where your route parallels and or crosses streams/rivers - be prepared for possible road closings and LONG detours.