Author Topic: Fork seals/oil ?  (Read 813 times)

Offline kzz1king

Fork seals/oil ?
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Going to change seals and fluid this winter. I see traxion sells 7 weight rather than 5. Looking at OEM seals. Fiche shows 2 seals and I am not sure which one is the fork seal. Go with the 7 or 5. Thinking of using Honda suspensionfluid.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Fork seals/oil ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 07:03:19 PM »
There is an inner fork oil seal and an outer dust seal. I replaced both since they are not expensive. I have used the Honda fork oil and Maxima also. I also use shock sox to hopefully make my new seals last longer.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »
Thank you sir!. Now to decide between stock viscosity or move up to 7
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 09:25:04 PM »
If Traxxion prefers 7 weight over 5 I would think they have a good reason.  Personally I suspect the difference will be minor but I'd go for it.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jsa

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Suspension shops use/sell a lot of fork oil and only a couple of fork oil companies sell quality fork oil in 55 gal drums (at a huge discount over buying the fork oil by the liter) and those 55 gal drums are only available in 7w.  Accordingly, suspension shops like Traxxion and GP Suspension use 7w oil to develop the shim stacks they sell in their homemade cartridges and that same weight oil should be used when the oil is changed.

Most of the bikes manufactured in Japan and Europe use 5w to develop their shim stacks so that is the oil that should be used in OEM forks if you are happy with the fork’s performance.

I felt my 2010 C14 had excessive compression damping but barely adequate rebound damping so their really wasn’t an option to use different fork oil to fix the excessive compression damping without screwing up the rebound damping.  My solution was to buy ZX-14 forks off eBay and put them on the C14...which worked very well except the new forks had to be drilled to accommodate the ABS sensors.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:51:02 PM by jsa »