Author Topic: 2011 C14 no start issue  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Cigars

• 2011 C14 P, 97 C10 original owner, 80 XS1100,
2011 C14 no start issue
« on: May 05, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »
Last month I had started the beast up and let it run for a while, ran no problem, everything normal.  Today I go to crank it up and then no kipass.  The red light is blinking but when I push down on the ignition switch, nothing.  So I pull the key out of the fob and put the fob over the back of the ignition switch and then get the full normal dash comes up.   Great.  I go to start it and it cranks, runs a few seconds and dies.  I crank it again and give it some gas but it feels like it's running on three cylinders.  I pull the battery cover, sand down the ground connection to the frame and battery terminals but it didn't change anything.  Any suggestions?  This is a former police 2011 C1400abs with two batteries.  Both batteries are good.
Thanks!

Offline jwh20

Re: 2011 C14 no start issue
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
I'd check the following:

1) Air filter.  Critters can get in there and plug it up.
2) Spark, make sure your coils are all connected and nobody chewed on your wires.
3) Fuel, has it been sitting a while?  Could your fuel filter be plugged up?  Is your fuel pump working properly?

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
I would load test the batteries. They may show that are charged, but have a bad cell. The fact that you have 2 batteries is probably the reason it turned over to begin with. Low voltage can cause all kinds of weird things on bikes. Any local auto parts store can load test them for you. Most of them don’t charge anything to do it. I always like to start with the free stuff when troubleshooting, so that is where I would start.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline Cigars

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
I'd check the following:

1) Air filter.  Critters can get in there and plug it up.
2) Spark, make sure your coils are all connected and nobody chewed on your wires.
3) Fuel, has it been sitting a while?  Could your fuel filter be plugged up?  Is your fuel pump working properly?

I have an air filter and fuel filter on the way.  I will swap both out when they get here.  From what I'm reading here it sounds like the fuel filter is notorious.  Will check the coil connections also while i'm elbow deep...
Still baffled with the kipass no-activation.  Banged on the switch, nothing changed.  Could be a battery issue but when I activate the kipass with the back of the fob, the panel comes to life, (no codes).  Also, battery cranks like crazy so it's not weak.  Both batteries will come out tomorrow for charging. 

Offline Michelle

• Saving the chubby unicorns
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
Still baffled with the kipass no-activation.  Banged on the switch, nothing changed.  Could be a battery issue but when I activate the kipass with the back of the fob, the panel comes to life, (no codes).

Sounds like a flat battery in the fob.
Neutron Silver 08 1400GTR ABS with KTRC K-ACT and ECO
Glitter White 2010 1400GTR
Windsor Green 1997 GTR1000

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »
I have an air filter and fuel filter on the way.  I will swap both out when they get here.  From what I'm reading here it sounds like the fuel filter is notorious.  Will check the coil connections also while i'm elbow deep...
Still baffled with the kipass no-activation.  Banged on the switch, nothing changed.  Could be a battery issue but when I activate the kipass with the back of the fob, the panel comes to life, (no codes).  Also, battery cranks like crazy so it's not weak.  Both batteries will come out tomorrow for charging.

saying "I fired it up last month..." doesn't tell us how long it really sat since it had a 100 mile ride, when the fuel was last added, or anything else to go on... either or both batts (I'd be removing that second one, and all the associated wires and devices tying to it) could be marginal...
hut the fob thing is surely it just needs a new FOB battery... that's why it started when you did the "passive FOB touch" thing.

I'd be sucking all that old gas out, and replacing it with some fresh stuff, maybe 2 gallons... and re test... don't just pour "new gas" into the old stuff.. get rid of the old...

also, there is no way a mouse, can get into the air filter on this bike,,, can't. The filter may be old, and need replacing, but if it ran the last time, it will run again... I've seen recent posts of totally gaacked up filters, that still ran..

mice can, and do, tend to build nests up on top of the engine tho, and chew on the wire harness to the throttle position sensor, and maybe other wires there...  and also in the tail section by the relay box and ECU...so don't rule that out either...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Freddy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 01:35:17 AM »
You have 2 separate problems Smokey.  Check fob battery as Michelle & MOB say because:  I go to crank it up and then no kipass.  The red light is blinking but when I push down on the ignition switch, nothing.  So I pull the key out of the fob and put the fob over the back of the ignition switch and then get the full normal dash comes up.   Great.  This is indicative of a stone-dead or dirty battery contacts within the fob - the pair of points that contact the circuit board which you'll see when you split the fob open. 

As for the second, do as others have suggested.    :chugbeer:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:08:36 AM by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
I concur with what MOB said. No way it's the air filer. Your first issue was a dead FOB battery, not a KIPAS issue since once you placed the FOB on the ignition and the bike 'came to life' and was able to crank. Check for chewed wires as he suggested. Pull the battery from the stock location and check behind it for a mouse nest and also on top of the motor. And get that second battery and the associated wiring removed from your bike. You don't need it and no good came come from it staying on your bike. From your description it doesn't sound like the bike's batteries are the issue.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cigars

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »
UPDATE....success!
I checked all three of the fuse boxes under the seat.  Everything was fine except for one 5A accessory fuse, which I replaced.  Being this is a retired police C14, there is another fuse box attached to the end of the two extra feet of wiring hardness that I had routed into the trunk. (No place else for it to go).  I'm sure it is in a more normal place on non=police versions.  Anyway, this box contained a well marked IGNITION RELAY.  I didn't have any on hand so I had Amazooon send me a few.  Replaced it and the darned kipass worked as normal.  Now I feel kind of bad for beating on it.   Once I saw it I had hunch that this was the culprit. 
I didn't fire it up yet because it started down pouring.  Hopefully this week I will get the fuel and air filter replaced. 
Thank you all for your expertise.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 01:52:20 AM »
Well, how about that!  We've been fooled again.   :chugbeer:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline Cigars

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »
Sounds like a flat battery in the fob.
First thing I did was to replace the fob battery.   :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
I would have beat on it as well.  I even carried a hammer for such an occasion.  Finding out later it was something else...I would have apologized to the bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
I would have beat on it as well.  I even carried a hammer for such an occasion.  Finding out later it was something else...I would have apologized to the bike.

OK, I am embarrassed, but I did something similar a week ago.  I thought I finally encountered the "spring issue" and started banging on it.  Only to eventually realize the fob was in the liner of the jacket, which I removed from the jacket.  DUH.

And yes, I did apologize to the bike, too!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:54:31 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline route66tc

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 07:16:38 PM »
Ooops