Author Topic: ‘Open carry’ bill latest proposal to expand gun laws in Texas  (Read 2556 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
As the federal government moves forward on its plans to tighten gun restrictions, Texas lawmakers are proposing legislation to expand gun rights in the state.

The latest proposal is HB 700 filed Thursday by state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, that would allow individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry weapons in plain view on a belt or shoulder holster.

“For some it is a matter of personal safety, for others it is simply a convenience/personal preference issue,” said Lavender, who carried similar legislation that failed last session. He added others view it as a constitutional issue.

Some officials in statewide offices have said they support “open carry” in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is floating the idea of a run for Governor next year, was quoted in support of the measure yesterday.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor next year, has said he supports Texans being allowed to carry handguns openly.

Lavender said the bill has a better chance to pass this session, adding that it failed last session because other “Second Amendment” bills took priority.

Other recent proposed policy changes supported by Republican lawmakers in Texas include allowing concealed handguns on college campuses, arming and training school officials – including teachers – to serve as “law enforcement” in the case of a school shooting.

Others have proposed legislation that would prohibit federal agents from enforcing a federal ban proposed by President Barack Obama on semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity magazines, if the so-called “assault weapons” ban were to pass Congress.

“Texas is one of only a handful of states that does not allow some form of open carry despite being one of the most pro-second amendment states in the country,” Lavender said.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/01/open-carry-bill-latest-proposal-to-expand-gun-laws-in-texas/

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: ‘Open carry’ bill latest proposal to expand gun laws in Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
In Ohio it is legal to open carry without a CHL, however there is a very gray area. Basically most folks cannot and will not mind their own business, so they call police thinking you are a public menace or a danger to the public. Police can be pricks and ask tons of questions, as well as ask you for your drivers license. You have no lawful reason to comply and you have no reason to be detained. However.........they will say "we need to run your license for felonies and mental health issues, then you can be on your way if things check out. But they highly discourage you from continuing to open carry and can you really blame them? So technically you could be detained for not complying, and possibly even arrested for resisting an officer. If you have a CHL then you can do either or, but you "MUST" by state law notify the officer that you are a CHL holder should they pull you over at a traffic stop or even you simply walking the streets if they approach you. Now is where things really get interesting......if you are not a CHL holder, how did you transport your handgun to get where you currently are so that you may open carry? Actually you cannot lawfully or legally do so in Ohio, because once you are in a motor vehicle with a loaded handgun, you have just committed a felony. You also cannot load an empty handgun that has been transported "even lawfully" in an enclosed lockable case, without having a CHL. So basically unless you are walking around your own property and or can simply walk every single place you go, you cannot open carry. To open carry IMHO does nothing but draw unwanted attention to yourself, and it totally takes the element of surprise away from the criminals. Unless you have a very secured handgun in a rentention holster, you are just making it too easy for your weapon to be taken from you in a struggle. I open carry at home and around my property quite often, but I also have my CHL and am in total stealth mode 95% of the time. ;)  So way to go Texas, I reckon things are just getting back to how they were in the old West.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
Florida is currently having an open carry movement also. 2 Years ago, open carry laws that were on the table were "downgraded" to make a "brief and incidental exposure" of a legally concealed firearm to be legal. That was a nice change; now if your shirt rides up by accident you don't go to jail  :o.  We can open carry when hunting, camping . fishing , and going to or from those activities. I know of guys who open carry on their motorcycles when going to the range, etc. So far all the police stops have gone well. Really, Florida, at least the non-new york part (S Florida) is really pretty gun-friendly. Actually North Florida is more than gun-friendly, it's considered mandatory equipment for the well- dressed redneck  :chugbeer:  Steve

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:32 AM »
Open carry legal in Colorado. In fact in your car concealed such as a glove box is legal without a permit. I know a guy that had a gun on the passenger seat of his car totally legal. He was stopped for a traffic violation (not sure what) and when the LEO saw the gun on the seat he drew his weapon, ordered the guy out of the car, on the ground and cuffed. More cruisers showed up, total of 6 LEO's eventually at the scene. Ran his license of course and found no wants or warrants. Interrogated him for 45 minutes and eventually let him go because he had done NOTHING illegal. Didn't even get a traffic violation. Now if he carries a gun in the car it is concealed. Moral of the story is that open carry may be legal but you will get harassed for doing it.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »
As the federal government moves forward on its plans to tighten gun restrictions, Texas lawmakers are proposing legislation to expand gun rights in the state.

The latest proposal is HB 700 filed Thursday by state Rep. George Lavender, R-Texarkana, that would allow individuals with concealed handgun licenses to carry weapons in plain view on a belt or shoulder holster.

“For some it is a matter of personal safety, for others it is simply a convenience/personal preference issue,” said Lavender, who carried similar legislation that failed last session. He added others view it as a constitutional issue.

Some officials in statewide offices have said they support “open carry” in Texas. Attorney General Greg Abbott, who is floating the idea of a run for Governor next year, was quoted in support of the measure yesterday.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, a candidate for Lieutenant Governor next year, has said he supports Texans being allowed to carry handguns openly.

Lavender said the bill has a better chance to pass this session, adding that it failed last session because other “Second Amendment” bills took priority.

Other recent proposed policy changes supported by Republican lawmakers in Texas include allowing concealed handguns on college campuses, arming and training school officials – including teachers – to serve as “law enforcement” in the case of a school shooting.

Others have proposed legislation that would prohibit federal agents from enforcing a federal ban proposed by President Barack Obama on semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity magazines, if the so-called “assault weapons” ban were to pass Congress.

“Texas is one of only a handful of states that does not allow some form of open carry despite being one of the most pro-second amendment states in the country,” Lavender said.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2013/01/open-carry-bill-latest-proposal-to-expand-gun-laws-in-texas/

Hey Tim,
  George Lavender is a friend of mine who I met when I was running for county judge. I keep in touch with him by email and I forward gun rights related items to him when I find them.
I offered my assistance to him if he ever needs feedback with any Texas firearms legislation
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:19:13 PM »
Hey Tim,
  George Lavender is a friend of mine who I met when I was running for county judge. I keep in touch with him by email and I forward gun rights related items to him when I find them.
I offered my assistance to him if he ever needs feedback with any Texas firearms legislation

That's awesome Jim. I certainly support this and if I can help with getting the word out I will.