Author Topic: I could see this for motorcyclist!  (Read 4243 times)

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
I could see this for motorcyclist!
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
http://www.gizmag.com/blaze-bicycle-laser-safety-device/18886/picture/135749/
Student-designed bicycle device designed to save lives

By Ben Coxworth

Many people are afraid of riding their bicycles on busy roads full of motorized vehicles, and it's easy to understand why. Not only are bikes slower and offer less protection than cars, but they can also be more difficult for drivers to notice. A device invented by a British design student, however, could help level the playing field a little. It's called BLAZE, and it alerts drivers to the presence of a cyclist by projecting a laser image onto the road in front of the bicycle.

"Eighty per cent of cycle accidents occur when bicycles travel straight ahead and a vehicle maneuvers into them," said Emily Brooke, a final-year Product Design student at the University of Brighton. "The most common contributory factor is 'failed to look properly' on the part of a vehicle driver. The evidence shows the bike simply is not seen on city streets."

She designed BLAZE in order to get those cyclists seen. The device mounts on the handlebars of a bicycle (or a motorcycle or scooter), from where it shoots a bright green sharrow (shared lane) symbol onto the road, several feet ahead of the cyclist. That symbol is visible even in daylight, and can be made to flash on and off.

The idea is that motorists, even if they don't see the actual cyclist riding in their blind spot, will notice the image on the road and realize that a cyclist is behind/beside them.

Brooke consulted with road safety experts, Brighton & Hove City Council, the Brighton & Hove Bus Company and driving psychologists when designing BLAZE. The resulting invention has won her a paid-for course at Babson College in Massachusetts, where she will continue to develop the product. She has also been shortlisted for an Enterprise Award, for innovation.

"With BLAZE, you see the bike before the cyclist and I believe this could really make a difference in the key scenarios threatening cyclists' lives on the roads," she stated.

Emily's idea is reminiscent of LightLane, a bicycle-mounted prototype device that uses lasers to project a virtual bicycle lane beside and behind the user's bike. Instead of warning drivers that a cyclist is beside them, however, it's intended more to get drivers to give cyclists enough room on the road.

Source: Bicycle Design
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: I could see this for motorcyclist!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:27 PM »
This is pretty cool.  If it comes to market (if it hasn't already) I could see lots of people using it.  Unless of course it's price point is outrageous.  Wish I would have thought of it.  Such a simple idea.
T.S.R.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:17 PM »
I'm afraid it would be like people gawking at a wreck. They would steer where they're looking. I have no faith in cage drivers. Get behind the wheel and get stupid. Just my opinion.

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:47:45 AM »
I'm afraid it would be like people gawking at a wreck. They would steer where they're looking. I have no faith in cage drivers. Get behind the wheel and get stupid. Just my opinion.

Man Pink how do you really feel?  I'm with you though.  I was riding in to work and this cager beside me suddenly swerved into  my lane.  I was able to safely move away from him.  He was rolling a joint while he was driving!  It was 7AM!!!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
Man Pink how do you really feel?  I'm with you though.  I was riding in to work and this cager beside me suddenly swerved into  my lane.  I was able to safely move away from him.  He was rolling a joint while he was driving!  It was 7AM!!!

Damn, that's crazy! At least he wasn't hitting the bong, prolly did that before he left the house anyways.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
That should keep ya from getting rear ended....maybe loud exhaust world work.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 12:22:45 PM »
That should keep ya from getting rear ended....maybe loud exhaust world work.
Would make you faster at least.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »
You need to be able to change the graphic - I can think of several with more impact than that one...    :cannon: :yikes:
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 11:40:36 PM »
I think it's wicked cool, I'd buy it in a heart-beat.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:53:42 AM »
Anything to get a cyclist seen is a good idea. I cycle many miles every year for exercise and mental health. I have been injured in crashes through my own fault and almost run over and killed through no fault of my own. Folks say motorcycles are dangerous but the cyclist on his 18lb bike is a sitting duck. I'm always looking ahead and behind trying to anticipate what the traffic will do. I also plan routes to avoid busy roads and take dedicated bike paths when they are available. It's a jungle out there for us all so anything to help us be seen is a good idea.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »
Sorry 'bout that dude.  Hey at least I wasnt drinking.  8)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
I cycle many miles every year for exercise and mental health.

Well, your posting here so I hope at least the exercise part is working for you.

:P
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157