Author Topic: The Dragon  (Read 5015 times)

Offline yoman

The Dragon
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
Headed to the Dragon on June 27 & 28. Leaving the St. Louis area early AM on the 26th. Looking for advice, additional riders, etc.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
Re: The Dragon
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
Headed to the Dragon on June 27 & 28. Leaving the St. Louis area early AM on the 26th. Looking for advice, additional riders, etc.

If you haven't ridden the dragon before, these will sound painfully simple, but they're of the best ways to watch your butt:

Don't push it beyond what you're absolutely comfortable doing. It's very unforgiving of people that don't respect their own boundaries.
Stay in your lane - it's often hard to spot oncoming vehicles, and REALLY easy to accidentally slip into the oncoming one.
Don't pass unless you have tons of room
Don't be the fastest one on the road - they're the one that the cops will nab first ;)

Last but not least, have a blast, and try the other roads in the area too - lots more to the area than just that one stretch of highway. Ride safe!

PS - would love to join you, and I'm from the STL area as well, but finances and time off are a little tight at the moment. Headed down in August though if you decide to make another trip...
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline yoman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I figured that week days would be a little "saner" and easier on a virgin. I didn't get to go backpacking this year so I decided to try slabpacking.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
I slayed it for the up-teenth time last week..................have fun and look out for the Hardly Ablesons.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline yoman

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:01:38 AM »
Is the dragon open from both ends now? The www seems to want to give me dated info. I will be coming from Nashville any info and directions will be helpful.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 08:15:25 AM »
While you're in the neighborhood, check out the Cherohala Skyway (from Cherokee tribe  + Nanatahala Gorge) http://www.cherohala.org/ . The Dragon is north and east of it. It starts just west of Robbinsville NC. Take a camera.
Ron
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
+1 what Dawg just said, by all means ride the Dragon but in my opinion don't make a destination out of it, be sure to check out all the other roads nearby that I think are much better than the Dragon, less traffic, less police, less yahoos. Good luck, bring back pics for us.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
The one time I rode it was in the morning on a week day. I had the rode pretty much to my self. I never got caught behind any traffic. It was an awesome trip but I prefered the skyway to the dragon.

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:36:07 PM »
The dragon is fun but I like the skyway a lot better. Hit up the moonshiner if u have time. If u can only do a section of it do 28 in bryson city to franklin then take wayah road back. Enjoy it its beautiful up there.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
Just got back from there a few days ago. Boston to Deals Gap and back in five days, 2675 miles and a great time. Met up with one of the forum guys who lives in the area and he showed me some great roads before we ever got to the Dragon. If you'd like specifics, let me know. I enjoyed the roads he led me through more than the Dragon. Stayed at the Iron Horse Lodge, highly recommended.

Took a large section of the BRP back northeast-wards and managed to get a $300 ticket. This after pulling all those miles before and at the Dragon without hardly even seeing a cop.  8)

Offline Graffixnfun

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 04:53:25 PM »
Just got back from there a few days ago. Boston to Deals Gap and back in five days, 2675 miles and a great time. Met up with one of the forum guys who lives in the area and he showed me some great roads before we ever got to the Dragon. If you'd like specifics, let me know. I enjoyed the roads he led me through more than the Dragon. Stayed at the Iron Horse Lodge, highly recommended.

Took a large section of the BRP back northeast-wards and managed to get a $300 ticket. This after pulling all those miles before and at the Dragon without hardly even seeing a cop.  8)

Say it aint so!!!!  I also got pulled over the day I left you for a road side consultation.  Basically he wanted to explain the proper passing etiquette when passing on the double yellow.  Apparently there isnt any but I was honored to be discussing the traffic "laws" with the Highlands Police Chief.  It ended with a warning and a good chuckle. 
2009 concours
2006 ninja 650R
2003 victory vegas

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Say it aint so!!!!  I also got pulled over the day I left you for a road side consultation.  Basically he wanted to explain the proper passing etiquette when passing on the double yellow.  Apparently there isnt any but I was honored to be discussing the traffic "laws" with the Highlands Police Chief.  It ended with a warning and a good chuckle.

I'm afraid so, Mitch. I had pulled off for gas, and when I got back on the BRP, apparently I only did a "Massachusetts Stop", not an actual foot-on-the-ground stop, so that was $100. Then I most definitely passed a cager doing about 15mph, over a double-yellow line and then poured on the coals. That was $200. He got me fair and square, and there was no laughing going on. I sort of lost my taste for the BRP after that and just beat it to Roanoke, where I stayed at the Sheraton and had a good meal and a few drinks.

The next day I had about 700 miles to home from there, and I only stopped for gas. That part wasn't so much fun, but the rest was great!

Offline Rockstar

• Don't call em bikers until you've seen them ride
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
Wow normally you're safe to push it a bit on the BRP compared to a cop per mile on the dragon.
GL1800 my 2 up ride ZG1000 my alone time ride
Ninja EX 500 stolen by my son ride
Honda CRF off road ride
Scooter go get the mail ride

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
What's sad is that nobody in the country is taught proper driving etiquette. Usually, not always the car driver will pull over enough to let you pass, most all other drivers in other countries will do this, in fact, its legal to do even on a double yellow if the slower driver pulls over and signals you to pass, I'd imagine that if someone DIDN'T pull over and let a line of cars pass them they'd be the one cited in other countries, I may be wrong but I remember reading something along these lines a long time ago. In the U.S. vast stretches of road previously marked for passing are being re-striped to prohibit passing. Legislating to the lowest common denominator and revenue generation I'd say.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline deadzed

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »
Pop in at http://kickstandlodge.com/ Say hi to Mo & Bobby. They're great folks and will happily point you toward all the best rides in the area.
There are better roads than The Dragon.
Toss $10 in the pot & hang around for dinner. Swap stories around the fire etc.
“And I to my motorcycle. Parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off up Highway 106, continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed. Wild to be wreckage forever”
James Dickey

Offline yoman

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 06:50:18 AM »
Is this place better than Ironhorse? I have no real plans could just go here instead. Thanks.

The Dragon is a been there done that, tee shirt thing. I plan to really plan to ride the area with no real plans.

Thanks, Tom
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
Is this place better than Ironhorse? I have no real plans could just go here instead. Thanks.

The Dragon is a been there done that, tee shirt thing. I plan to really plan to ride the area with no real plans.

Thanks, Tom

Where I "always" stay when I am down there. Super super nice folks, and very nice facilities.

http://www.huntslodge.com/
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline deadzed

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »

Thanks, Tom

I've never stayed at Ironhorse so I can't speak to who's better, but I keep going back year after year so it must not be too bad  ;)

Here's their Facebook page; http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_132067620173

It's a very open, easygoing place run by the honor system. There's a freezer full of ice & a fridge full of beer & sodas. Breakfast & dinner are served every night. put your donation in the can & tell 'em what you used when you check out.

The bath houses are clean & towels are provided.
“And I to my motorcycle. Parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off up Highway 106, continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed. Wild to be wreckage forever”
James Dickey

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:49 PM »
http://applecoverinn.com/

The Apple Cover Inn, in Maggie Valley. Good folks, and biker owned and operated. Good southern style motel, not roughing it at all!
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)