Author Topic: Harley finally enters the 19th century!  (Read 17480 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Harley finally enters the 19th century!
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »
They should rename that bike the Victory Vision Destroyer... guaranteed to make you blind, or at least kill your good taste!

I had to ride behind one last year for several miles on a ride.  Damn Fugly if you ask me, but some people actually like the look...

What? You've never seen a Honda Rune? Should be called a "Ruin" as in "this ruined any chance in hell that I'd buy another Honda."

The Rune is the absolute KING of Fugly. It's hard to build a motorcycle that is ugly from every direction and all sides. They succeeded with this one.

YoDoc

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »
Or the Honda DN-01?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »
I started the Vision comment, yeah, I know the Rune, I don't like the Rune or that monstrosity test bed of a Honda DN-01 either. Honda stopped making the Valkyrie to make the Rune, dumb idea. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Everyones got an opinion. I rode the Vision, some really good design and function ideas, just wrapped in a fairly strange package. However, I got to say that the Vision trike is not all that ugly. To each his or her own.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
Rode my best buds Police Edition Roadking for a few hours last week, and I enjoyed every 103 cubic inch S&S Vance and Hines moment!!!!! And I have news for ya.........I can ride that bike quicker than you would expect in the twisty bits, doubt many riders would be passing me. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
Rode my best buds Police Edition Roadking for a few hours last week, and I enjoyed every 103 cubic inch S&S Vance and Hines moment!!!!! And I have news for ya.........I can ride that bike quicker than you would expect in the twisty bits, doubt many riders would be passing me. ;)

In the hands of a skilled rider I have no question. There is more than one reason these behemoths are used as Police Bikes.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
In the hands of a skilled rider I have no question. There is more than one reason these behemoths are used as Police Bikes.

Yeah it is a very balanced machine, add that with a low center of gravity, incredible turning radius, and did I mention serious low end "I aint gotta down shift torque"!! :hail: He went to a 103 S&S engine after he had issues with the modified stocker, he bought this bike from an ex moto cop in NJ. I have enjoyed any Hog that I have ridden, but his is a special beast for sure. My neighbor just bought an 11 Street Glide and it is beautiful......I am avoiding riding it. ::) The Road King really doesnt seem big at all once you get going, and low speed manueverability is a piece of cake.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

YoDoc

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2011, 04:18:42 PM »
My stepdad rides a road king. Its more comfortable than my Volkswagen

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 12:38:44 AM »
Never had my Harley break down.  Not once!  But, it only took me one "cruiser"  to decide it just wasn't the type of bike for me.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2011, 05:04:46 AM »
Must be an American thing.  ;D
You fit LEAF springs to your cars.  :o
Come on, that's wooden cart technology.  ::)

When I was in Canada last month I rented a new Ford Edge.
I was surprised. No axle tramp, minimal lean when cornering and a nicely neutral feel through the steering.
Guess what,.... no leaf springs!
For an SUV it drove really well.

I think it's part of your compensating for only having a few hundred years of history.
If you drive/ride something out of the history books then you feel more in touch with your ancestors.
Given the crappy brakes/suspension you may make a much closer acquaintance with the same ancestors than you really wanted.   :o

And before anyone starts in on me as a "stuck up Limey",....... yer right! <LOL>
And yes, a few of us do ride Hardley Fergusons as well as old brit bikes and even a few old "rice burners".
Me, I'll ride with anyone who can keep up.  ;)
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
Or the Honda DN-01?

Nah.  The Rune is about 5x uglier.
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:36 PM »
I gotta say, that bike on EBR's front page looks very sweet!

http://www.erikbuellracing.com/

Good reason for that - he no longer has anything to do with Harley. That bike is what he wanted to build during his time at HD, and it was shot down... And I'd buy three of that bike, if it wasn't for the price!

But hey - I had a 2009 Street Glide before this - great bike, and lots of torque down low. No way to  beat them on the sound and looks, period.

That being said, not worth the damn money. The concours is a better bike in every other regard, for half the price, no contest. Faster, smoother, lower maintenance, better wind protection, etc. Well, resale they have us beat too, I suppose, but then I buy used bikes for a reason...

Some pics of the hog, in case anyone thinks I'm full of it  8)
http://www.jriek.com/pictures/Vehicles/Harley%20FLHX/06-02-09%20HD%20Pictures/index.htm
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I seriously love that Street Glide.......no doubt what I would buy if I got a Hog. And to say the C14 is better in every way.......well I have to disagree with ya on that. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2011, 09:04:49 PM »
I have an '07 Star Stratoliner. 1.9L V-twin with 101hp and 135ftlbs out of the box. This bike is planted firmly in the 21st century (at least as far as cruisers go) with an Aluminum frame and FI. It's an excellent alternative at half the price. And all of the chrome is standard.

=Laserjock=

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »
My stepdad rides a road king. Its more comfortable than my Volkswagen

Bigger than your VW too........  :rotflmao:

And likely gets better MPG  :stirpot:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline madcap

• Only slightly nuts
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
Bigger than your VW too........  :rotflmao:

And likely gets better MPG  :stirpot:
Yet the VW's probably faster...  ;D
Anything you say, can and will be misquoted and used against you.

2009 CR14 - Red (ish)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Yet the VW's probably faster...  ;D

Well yeah.... It's trying to outrun it's reputation!
Tony P. Crochet

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2011, 01:16:32 PM »
I have an '07 Star Stratoliner. 1.9L V-twin with 101hp and 135ftlbs out of the box. This bike is planted firmly in the 21st century (at least as far as cruisers go) with an Aluminum frame and FI. It's an excellent alternative at half the price. And all of the chrome is standard.

=Laserjock=

Great bike!!! I was looking at these when I bought my last bike (Roadstar Silverado)...these are great bikes, but dumped it to get my C14 was sad to see it leave my driveway.

Sofa King

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
How about a computer fan between the V? Only $219.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LeNale-Cooling-Fan-Kit-Harley-Davidson-Touring-Bikes-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2310c44a29QQitemZ150605154857QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It stayed cool for a full 30 minutes!  OMFG.  So if this is exceeding expectations, what are those expectations?