Author Topic: Looking for Lower/wider handlebar options  (Read 1543 times)

Offline misterprofessionality

Looking for Lower/wider handlebar options
« on: May 10, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »
I'm stumped here.  When i google All I can ever find are RISERS.  everybody wants the bars to be higher and swept back farther.  My (new to me) concours even came with a set of Heli Bars on it but after having taken a long ride on it through country roads I came away feeling a strong urge to get those bars lower, more forward, and wider.  for those of you with Heli bars, take your hands off the grips and place them so that your knuckles are just touching the underside of your levers.  THATS where I want my hands to be. I just cant find anything on the net that seems to even approach this position.  everybody just wants them taller and more swept back. 

Any suggestions ?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Looking for Lower/wider handlebar options
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 04:56:09 PM »
You can convert the entire system to a traditional clamp/bar system to make them lower/wider (depending on bars selected).  For example LSL bars:
https://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=252.0 

Might be harder to find nowadays.
https://www.lsl-online.nl/en/detail/2071082/superbike-kit-kawasaki-gtr1400-abs-08-silver.htm
https://spieglerusa.com/controls/handlebar-conversion/handlebar-conversion-kit-4315.html
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 05:15:16 PM »
ah ok.  wow that seems to require replacing the entire triple clamp top bridge. is that hard?  how much disassembly of the bike is involved in something that deep?

Is there any resource you know of that shows those bars in comparison to the stock bars?

edit:  oh wait it seems the actual handlebar isn't included. so I'd then have to find an aftermarket handlebar that suits me  at whatever height.  Is there a methodology for measuring for something like that?

double edit: ugh.  i found the actual install instructions.  I'm dumb.  it's just a bolt on set, not a new triple clamp.  that looks really cool, thanks!

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 06:56:47 AM »
ST bikes tend to be bought by older men, so back issues and big bellies are more common than wanting low bars and rear sets. :rotflmao:

The LSL system is good ( I don't have it but a friend does) but be aware that it still lifts the bars up and towards you so you may need to either use nearly flat bars or else get different risers from them to go with the base plate.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 02:04:36 PM »
This always happens to me.  I'm in my mid thirties but i always end up liking "old man" bikes.  my other (and favorite) bike is a Honda CB1100, which is something that only older guys ever bought. It's funny how taste works.

Anyway, concerning the LSL bar height, it's honestly ok if there's still some lift.  i'm not actually looking for clip ons or anything extreme.  I don't need to be completely upright to be comfortable, but i don't want to be laying on the gas tank eihter. Just something that will give me a lot more countersteer leverage. The stock bars were honestly at a pretty good height if i remember correctly from the last time i rode a stock Connie,  but i think those were narrower still. a kind of "tracker" bar or something that's not completely flat should be real good. If i could achieve stock bar height with more width i would be very pleased.

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »
With the LSL setup, you can do almost anything, it all depends on the bars you choose to put on.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
i found a set of flat track bars that measure roughly 4" wider than the heli bar setup i have on there right now....is that overkill?  ;D.

In all seriousness though the stock bars on my CB1100 are actually wider than the heli bars, and they have some good rise to them too. i'd be curious to see the effect of putting those same bars on.  i really need to measure the rise and width of a stock c14's handlebars and work off of that.

Offline SapperLdr

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 08:34:07 PM »
Are the Heli Bars steel? I can’t tell by their website.
How about cutting them down? Reweld and powder coat.
Living the dream in Arizona.

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:14 AM »
A taller than stock seat is a option if you've got the inseam for it. I have stock bars & 1 1/2" taller seat, it makes a noticeable difference in the amount of lean & reach to the bars.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 12:53:54 PM »
Here is another example, from Murphs which is tremendously cheaper and simpler, also without anywhere near as much rise or pull-back.  Seems more like what you would be looking for.  Doesn't include the bar, however:

https://murphskits.com/concours-handle-bar-adapters-1/

I believe those are for the old Concours C10. I am not a fan of Murf's new website format. There doesn't seem to be as much for the C14 anymore either.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
I believe those are for the old Concours C10. I am not a fan of Murf's new website format. There doesn't seem to be as much for the C14 anymore either.

Oops/thanks.  I now removed the posting completely.  That is what I get for going to fast and not paying attention.  It is pretty obvious from the photo :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
With the LSL setup, you can do almost anything, it all depends on the bars you choose to put on.

LSL adapters with Unobtainium C10 Helibars  8)

Offline Cuda

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 10:28:32 PM »
Been using LSL bars for last 9 years, I had a machine shop make risers, took them off, I like lower myself.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 03:47:50 PM »
I have a set of Helibars for sale in the Classified section. They're very adjustable but I like the stock bars with risers. It also looks like regular Superbike bars can be used with the Helibar clamps. Hmmm, I might try that!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 11:56:31 PM by speedracersworld »
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 08:57:34 AM »
MisterP,,, have you tried the OEM Bars? (your original post seems to indicate you have Heli's ?)
I also didn't like the narrower/further back heli-bars.
But the OEM with only a 1" riser worked out for me.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 08:12:06 PM »
I have a stock set :o
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver