Author Topic: Anyone replaced the radiator fan before?  (Read 2960 times)

Offline Schneiderman

Anyone replaced the radiator fan before?
« on: June 20, 2013, 07:24:40 PM »
My radiator fan melted completely off the hub. Funny, same thing happened on a Ninja 500 I used to have, but the dealer replaced that one for me under warranty. No such luxury this time so I'm planning on tackling it myself this weekend. Anyone have an estimate of how long this job takes? I seem to have misplaced my Clymer manual, so as of right now I can only guess as to what the job entails. What other things do I have to remove before I can get to the fan?

Offline Summit670

Re: Anyone replaced the radiator fan before?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
What other things need removed in addition to the melted fan?   ;D

I'll start out, just guessing though - side panels and probably the bottom panel too. Maybe the tank if you can't reach the upper radiator hose connection.

Next person........
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Schneiderman

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »
Well, all that stuff is a given. I've had the bike apart plenty of times to do valve adjustments, carb removal, etc but never had to do anything around the radiator before so I just don't remember what it looks like on that side. I'm dreading having to remove the radiator itself, exhaust headers, etc... Really hoping that's not the case!

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 06:24:24 AM »
I would check the fan switch. If your fan is not coming on when your bike gets hot your fan blades will melt. It would suck to get her all back together and have the same thing happen.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
I'll start out, just guessing though - side panels and probably the bottom panel too. Maybe the tank if you can't reach the upper radiator hose connection.
I just had mine off to replace the headers.  Side panels, bottom panel, tank, and I think you're good.  (I had the upper fairing off, too, but I don't think it needs to come off to get to the radiator.)  Then there are a couple of bolts at the top of the radiator, the hoses, and the fan and switch wires, and it comes right off the front.  The fan will be attached to it.

I didn't take the fan off, but it's probably just a matter of removing the shroud and then removing the fan.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Summit670

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »
Well, since you only have a few posts and asked "what other things do I have to remove.." (even though you hadn't listed removal of anything), I thought I'd start with the obvious.   ;)

Per Kaw manual:
Remove Fairings (see the frame chapter)
Drain coolant
Loosen hose clamps and pull off hoses on both sides
Unscrew the fairing bracket mounting bolt
Unscrew the radiator mounting bolts and push the fairing bracket down
Remove the radiator (disconnect farn motor connector and fan switch connector before radiator removal)

Sounds like they want you to remove the upper fairing too because it says fairings and has you removing the bracket.  I'd take off the lower fairings first and assess the need to remove upper.  I don't believe it's too hard to remove upper, just unplug a few connections, remove the speedo cable, etc.  Sometimes you can work around things rather than remove, but I've never done radiator.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »
I'm thinkin you don't have to drastically go at it like the book says, you ain't removing the radiator, just tipping it forward to get at the fan bolts, that can be accomplished with hoses attached, just snip the tie-wrap on the metal bottom coolant pipe and it should allow it to tip forward....
I might be wrong tho.... :-[

make sure to replace that tiewrap upon completion....DO NOT attempt to ride without the pipes tiewrapped together.... you will melt the thing down on the header..... ::) :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..