Author Topic: A tail of two mousetraps....  (Read 31666 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: A tail of two mousetraps....
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »
What about the fledermaus? Flying mouse, bats, any traps for them? I knock them out of the air with a broom then carry them outside with a leather glove and dispatch them. I got the house sealed off now, shouldn't be a problem anymore right?  ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 08:59:06 AM »
Yeah, right. Do you realize how small of an opening a mouse can get through?
http://youtu.be/r6dDCgX4R5o
http://youtu.be/-2m7Z0OvGX4
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
They were getting into the house via holes on the mortar of my chimney which was made with lime based mortar in 1926. I plugged as much as I could then just had it tucked pointed and had the other side relined that serviced the water tank and furnace. Then I went around and sealed anything bigger than a crack with foam. I had some decent holes in the mortar and since I wasn't using my fireplace it was perfect for bats. We'll see.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 09:59:10 AM »
 :popcorn: :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
I think I got the only mouse that was in the garage.  So far no more of it's relatives have taken the bait and I haven't heard anything in the walls.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
I checked my trapline this am and no meeces yet. Bait still in the traps too so we seem to be flying a holding pattern. Do choosy mice really prefer Jif?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
That's what I use.  They like that better than Peter Pan.  They really hate the organic stuff.....ugh....don't blame them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Anything sweet, I use bits of cookies or crackers.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2013, 06:45:32 AM »
I checked my trapline this am and no meeces yet. Bait still in the traps too so we seem to be flying a holding pattern. Do choosy mice really prefer Jif?

Brian

If the peanut butter from Aldi is good enough for me then it's good enough for the friggin rodents!    :)

Me and the mice in my garage seem to be in a holding pattern as well, or maybe a standoff?

I checked the bike over REAL close yesterday and so far so goot.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2013, 06:51:34 AM »
Careful Conrad, you might be mistaking an end to the problem while they are merely falling back to regroup.... The new plan could be startling and end up choking your rivers with their dead!

Maybe we need bigger throttle bodies on our mousetraps, did you ever think of that?

Brian

If the peanut butter from Aldi is good enough for me then it's good enough for the friggin rodents!    :)

Me and the mice in my garage seem to be in a holding pattern as well, or maybe a standoff?

I checked the bike over REAL close yesterday and so far so goot.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 07:01:14 AM »
If we mixed a little reefer with the peanut butter we might rob the little a##holes of the intelligence needed to make the throttle bodies work for them. Then they could find somewhere else to spread their joy.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 07:02:03 AM »
Careful Conrad, you might be mistaking an end to the problem while they are merely falling back to regroup.... The new plan could be startling and end up choking your rivers with their dead!

Maybe we need bigger throttle bodies on our mousetraps, did you ever think of that?

Brian

It can't hurt at least, right?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 07:13:42 AM »
Oh I think intelligence robbing is not needed for some installing throttle bodies.

As to the mice, my score might shoot up today / tonight; the temp was 20 F last night and is going down to 14 F tonight. They might want to go someplace warm and dry.... with just a bit of fine smelling food to seal the deal.

One of the new traps I got is really quite clever I think- it does not have a traditional trigger but rather a food cover that acts as a trigger. The bait is in a well with a cover over it, and that cover is the trigger but it must be raised to trip the trap. So at least the little b($(#(%$ can't eat the bait, run off to a corner and chuckle when they see my frustrated look. I guess I don't mind a draw- neither one of us gains ground but I don't like losing to a mouse. I mean not catching them is bad enough but I am actually feeding them when the trap does not spring....

Brian

If we mixed a little reefer with the peanut butter we might rob the little a##holes of the intelligence needed to make the throttle bodies work for them. Then they could find somewhere else to spread their joy.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 07:50:16 AM »

I tired that before G. It's damn hard to keep the joint lit. Me and the mice had a good time trying though.    8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 08:02:39 AM »
Mental picture is  :rotflmao:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »
I tired that before G. It's damn hard to keep the joint lit. Me and the mice had a good time trying though.    8)
Next time just let them swim in the bottom of the bong ;)

Offline cugsy

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
Our house is an 1860 railway cottage with stone and flint walls.Plenty of cracks for the little fart knockers to get in. And its been a regular winter sport putting down poison and traps. To date, the little feckers have eaten - £100 worth of neoprene waders, £150 leathers ..(.well, not just nibbled away at the leather and waders but they do tend to **** on everything too) and a tent.
 This winter hasn't gotten off too bad yet. 2 nil to me so far.We have rats in the garden sometimes but the air rifle gets them...and those pesky grey colonial..ex-colonial squirrels. I tried the can on a bit of string over the bucket idea and just lost loads of peanut butter.  One idea I had was adding antifreeze to the peanut butter (no people around by us, so no issues) - no holds barred when it comes to rodents.
  I use the DR every day and check both bikes and the garage for poop etc and annihilate as required.  No prisoners and no quarter
Bloody hell - its a heavy bike!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 11:46:02 AM »
Your gov still lets you have air rifles?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
Er, I am reasonably fluent in English- English translations but this is beyond my limited abilities. Please explain the following terms:

Railway cottage. Was that a house that used to be rolling stock? I do not understand the link between cottage and railway.

Neoprene waders- I want to guess on this one Alex.... are those rubber boots?

Leathers. ??

Garden [English] = yard [American] Got that one.

Colonial / Ex- Colonial squirrels. ?? Gray Squirrels? Are they from the new world and not native to England?

You are not doing the can on a string thing right- the can is really a plastic bottle, and the string is really a steel rod. The can / string thing is just a test to see if rodents can climb a rope and they most certainly can. Stop testing them and get to killing them. :-)

Poison is OK but only if there is no chance of any pet getting to it. Personally, I would not bother and just go with the improved 'string on a can' method mentioned above.

DR everyday. What is DR? Does DR not come in a two- day version? Is DR not available in a trans- dermal, one per week, patch?

I LOVE writing back and forth with Limeys! (that is not an insult, merely slang for what we call you- sorta' like you calling us Yanks).

Brian

Our house is an 1860 railway cottage with stone and flint walls.Plenty of cracks for the little fart knockers to get in. And its been a regular winter sport putting down poison and traps. To date, the little feckers have eaten - £100 worth of neoprene waders, £150 leathers ..(.well, not just nibbled away at the leather and waders but they do tend to **** on everything too) and a tent.
 This winter hasn't gotten off too bad yet. 2 nil to me so far.We have rats in the garden sometimes but the air rifle gets them...and those pesky grey colonial..ex-colonial squirrels. I tried the can on a bit of string over the bucket idea and just lost loads of peanut butter.  One idea I had was adding antifreeze to the peanut butter (no people around by us, so no issues) - no holds barred when it comes to rodents.
  I use the DR every day and check both bikes and the garage for poop etc and annihilate as required.  No prisoners and no quarter