Author Topic: Metal roof and mad as hell!  (Read 37288 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Metal roof
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 01:54:36 PM »
Wow, really sorry to hear this Conrad. I hope it all works out for you in the end but even if it does, this will be an unpleasant memory and emotional loss forever.  :(  These situations are always extremely stressful on the people trying to get the project done.

Brian

My metal roofing job was started on 7/24. The tear off crew showed up that Friday and did their thing in less than 5 hours. Tore off the old roofing materials, replaced any decking that needed it, and then covered the entire roof with a ice/water membrane. The did a crappy job and I had to go up on the roof after they left and the pull nails out that were left sticking through the membrane and then patch the holes. 90 holes on one side of the roof!

On 7/25 the metal guys showed up, only two men!  >:(

A job that was supposed to take two days is now going on it's second week!!! WTF!!!

If that wasn't bad enough, the :censored: guy who was supposed to know what he's doing, doesn't. I am SO :censored: mad over this!!! Plus it looks like they didn't order enough metal to finish the job, they are short two 20 foot pieces. I'll be calling the owner of the company today and demand that he come and look at the poor job that his man has done. I have a bad feeling that I'll be calling my lawyer over this. I paid half of the cost of the roof up front with the remainder due at completion.

Anyone ever been in a situation like this?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

Re: Metal roof
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 04:51:16 AM »
Wow, really sorry to hear this Conrad. I hope it all works out for you in the end but even if it does, this will be an unpleasant memory and emotional loss forever.  :(  These situations are always extremely stressful on the people trying to get the project done.

Brian

Stressful is the right word Brian! Thanks for your condolences. We'll get it sorted out, eventually.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

Re: Metal roof and mad as hell!
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2015, 09:27:58 AM »
So the owner and one of his guys came by on Wednesday as I said above. They took a lot of their own pics and addressed all of my concerns, saying all the right things at the time. They admitted that several things were not done correctly and that they would all be fixed and that I would be 100% satisfied once they were done. I told him that unless he could turn back time that there's no way in hell that I'll be 100% satisfied with the work done.

As we were up on the roof I noticed that three of the panels on one side of the roof are too short and the top edges of these three do not go under the ridge cap as they should, short by at least two inches. I pointed these out to the guy and he stated that he knew about these and that new panels have been ordered. WTF?

The two panels that were supposed to be coming in on that Wednesday did not come in, surprise!

The :censored: owner keeps telling me that he'll call me and let me know what's going on. Does he? Hell no! Another surprise.    >:(

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2015, 01:23:40 PM »
Were these guys in the BBB database or even Angie's List?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »
Is he guaranteeing perfect color match between 3(?) different metal orders?  ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
Yeah, you hit that on the head alright..  Unless it comes out of the same batch it won't be identical and will stand out like a sore thumb.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
Sort of turning into a bit of a train wreck.
Is the short metal all on one side of the roof?
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2015, 05:06:08 AM »
  I hope it works out for you.  I had a metal roof installed on my house 10 or 12 years ago. I am very happy, the guy did great work. It still looks as good as it did day one. He did say we might want to consider painting it in 30 or 40 years.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2015, 06:47:54 AM »
Were these guys in the BBB database or even Angie's List?

I don't know about Angie's List but this company has a A+ rating on the BBB website. They won't after I'm done. I'll tell y'all the name of the company after this all shakes out.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2015, 06:49:12 AM »
Is he guaranteeing perfect color match between 3(?) different metal orders?  ::)

That's a laugh right there! I'm finding out that it doesn't matter what he says, if the guys lips are moving he's lying.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2015, 06:52:43 AM »
Sort of turning into a bit of a train wreck.
Is the short metal all on one side of the roof?

A train wreck is right.  >:(

Yes, the three panels that are too short are all on one side and these three are the last three on that end. Meaning that they can be replaced without having to remove any other panels. The metal ridge cap will have to be removed though.

At least those three shorties are covering the roof, mostly. I still have two 20' panels that didn't get ordered and the roof in that section is only covered by the water/ice membrane.  Those two missing panels are at the end of the roof but on the other side from the shorties.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »
After still not hearing from the owner yesterday I called his cell in the afternoon. Surprise, he didn't pick up the call and it went to voice mail. His mailbox was full and I couldn't leave a message. I called his office, knowing that I wouldn't get to talk to anyone but I left a message.

Since I had his cell number I decided that I would text him. He replied to that, telling me that they had to re-order the metal and that it was going to be 2 to 3 MORE weeks!!!   :o

So a :censored: 2 to 3 day job is turning into a 6 week or more job. Oh but the owner tells me not to worry because the roof is water proof.

Unbelievable. This is a big reputable roofing company in our area too. Holy ****.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
when he sticks his hand out for the final pay off, look him square in the eye and tell him...
"oh, damn, I just ran outta checks.... it'll be about 2 or 3 weeks till they get here, don't worry though, its all good, unlike the rubber membrane covering my roof, they shouldn't bounce...."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »
Well, for whatever this is worth, and really it is not worth anything to you Conrad, but I have embarked on a housing adventure that started off kind of 'stingie' and continues to get worse. My roof was structurally damaged this last winter by our record snowfall and needs to be replaced.... and by 'roof', I mean the rafters and of course the entire sheathing (paper or snow and ice barrier, shingles, etc.). This resulted in a contest with the insurance company along with some truly shocking estimates as well as the level of repair necessary; basically the second floor needs a new second floor.

I do not want to get into a lot of detail as this is an on- going situation (read: 'contest') but I will say that before the first stick is removed, we have been blown off by multiple contractors, multiple structural engineers and multiple pest control companies (discovered a bat infestation upon gaining access to the attic, which has been sealed and un-enterable by humans since 1948).... usually with the 'I will get back to you with an [estimate, plan, time table, whatever] and never hearing from them again. And this goes all the way to my ins. company, which when I call them I get voice mail (of course) but the voice mails are full and so I cannot even leave a message. And this situation was multiple times with multiple parties- I was eventually told that everyone's voice mails is "full" and so I cannot contact them.

We have now moved completely out of the second floor, have had movers move our 'stuff' (in the George Carlin version of "stuff" and "$#it" routine) out of the house and have had the bats evicted (the bat sheriff comes along and puts up a little poster which says "you have 30 days to vacate the premises, after which period".... and so forth) and have the bat clean- up crew coming this week. After that, we can begin the De-construction (more difficult and expensive than demolition) of the second floor, come up with a scheme of rebuilding (the house is post and beam construction and will take a custom mechanical design to put a new roof on it that will meet current code), and begin that process. I hope to have a new structural roof on the house before snow flies (Nov- Dec at the latest) but the inside, including partition walls and floors, and the outside covering as well as trim, gutters, etc., etc. will probably not be gotten at until next spring.

So take heart, at least your difficulties are limited to the outside of your home; it could be a lot worse. My wife is not taking this well at all and it is proving to be a pretty big strain in every way imaginable, starting with emotionally, moving through financially, and finally on to the sheer size of this project, which will end up all the way to the ground as the house will have to be re-sided and very probably, re- windowed.

UGH.

And I do wish you the very best successes with your new roof- it does sound like it still has at least the possibility of coming out OK for you in the end, and you have not yet involved the legal system.

Brian

A train wreck is right.  >:(

Yes, the three panels that are too short are all on one side and these three are the last three on that end. Meaning that they can be replaced without having to remove any other panels. The metal ridge cap will have to be removed though.

At least those three shorties are covering the roof, mostly. I still have two 20' panels that didn't get ordered and the roof in that section is only covered by the water/ice membrane.  Those two missing panels are at the end of the roof but on the other side from the shorties.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2015, 04:04:49 PM »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 04:51:29 AM »
Holy **** Brian!!!

Now that's some stress that no one needs in their life! I'm so sorry that this is happening to you and I hope that it gets resolved soon!

Something similar happened to my wife's father recently. I'll try to make the long story short.

My father-in-law's house was a 150 year old farm house out in the country. He had a chimney fire that did some damage to the roof, not really too bad but bad enough that the insurance company was involved. It turns out that the house was so badly out of current building codes that it was cheaper to demolish the whole thing rather than try to rebuild it and bring it up to code. But it took the insurance company a year to make the decision. They couldn't live in the house so the insurance company put them up in a local motel while they decided what needs to be done. Yes, this took an entire year and the stress almost ended his marriage.

Sorry, maybe you don't want to hear that story and perhaps you don't want to mention this to your poor wife. In the end my father-in-law got a brand new house though so take heart.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2015, 06:37:17 AM »
That is not all that unlike my situation; we are talking about updating the electrical service and there is some question about the foundation / footings as well. I do not <think> it will come to that but at this time there is no clear limit to where the cut- off of new construction will be due to code and what we find in the walls regarding original building techniques and wood member sizes (Easy Boys!).

My situation with the insurance co. is a bit different though- they accepted the claim and were trying to come up with a price.... and when they did, they denied the claim. So my 'tussle' with them will be through the legal system. In the meantime, all repairs will be out- of- pocket as this structure needs to stiffened (Boys!) for the coming winter; the current roof is not structurally able to support any reasonable snow load IMO.

Thanks for the well- wishes but no need for sympathy- hey, stuff happens and this can and will be dealt with. My only real emotional response is with the ins. co., which I feel failed to act in anything even approaching a 'good faith' manner. Otherwise, we will forge ahead and as you said, there will be some things to come out of this on our end too.... finally going to get rid of that creek on the fourth stair tread (yep, staircase has to go to). :o ::) ;D

And still, best of luck with your own roof- I did not mean to de-rail your thread.

Brian

Holy **** Brian!!!

Now that's some stress that no one needs in their life! I'm so sorry that this is happening to you and I hope that it gets resolved soon!

Something similar happened to my wife's father recently. I'll try to make the long story short.

My father-in-law's house was a 150 year old farm house out in the country. He had a chimney fire that did some damage to the roof, not really too bad but bad enough that the insurance company was involved. It turns out that the house was so badly out of current building codes that it was cheaper to demolish the whole thing rather than try to rebuild it and bring it up to code. But it took the insurance company a year to make the decision. They couldn't live in the house so the insurance company put them up in a local motel while they decided what needs to be done. Yes, this took an entire year and the stress almost ended his marriage.

Sorry, maybe you don't want to hear that story and perhaps you don't want to mention this to your poor wife. In the end my father-in-law got a brand new house though so take heart.  :)

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
So how is it going on that there roof Conrad? Any progress? Regress? Holding at neutral?

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
Brian,

Still holding in neutral (see post #51). It'll be two weeks this Friday so I'm hoping that the metal comes in next week and the roof gets completed then. I'm not holding my breath though. If the metal doesn't come in next week I'll be contacting my lawyer and then we'll see what he can do for me. I'm not sure that he can do anything at all. The contract doesn't specify how long the job may take. I was told by two different employees of this roofing company that the job would take no more than 3 days after the tear off, but that wasn't in writing.

What's going on with your house project?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 05:03:07 AM »
Here's your chance to be famous....http://catchacontractor.com/#application

Have you been screwed over by a bad contractor?

Know someone who has?

Did you pay a contractor to work on your home or yard only to have him screw up the job and abandon it?

Adam Carolla and the “Catch a Contractor” team want to help fix your construction nightmare.

“Catch a Contractor” aims to turn the table on general contractors who have done their clients wrong and help homeowners regain their dignity and their humble abodes from the clutches of crooked contractors.

If your contractor left you with sparking electrical outlets, clogged pipes, tiles popping, walls that aren’t plumb, floors that aren’t level, a leaky roof, cracking concrete, or a falling fence, and you want justice then APPLY NOW.