Poll

Should Brian purchase a new C14? Answer like we're in the control room at NASA.

GO!
21 (100%)
No Go
0 (0%)
Better go ask Andrea first Brian.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: October 18, 2020, 05:33:50 PM

Author Topic: POLL: Should Brian (aka BDF) buy a new C14?  (Read 5867 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
POLL: Should Brian (aka BDF) buy a new C14?
« on: October 04, 2020, 05:33:50 PM »
Damn you Kawasaki, Damn you all to Hell! (it works better if you picture Charleton Heston saying it).

D'oh!

I found some w/in four or five hours from me at pretty attractive prices- all new but 2020 leftovers. I could not care less what model year the bike is as long as it is a 2015 or later to get all the latest changed to the model. And the 2015 is out 'cause of the color :-(  but anything from a 2016 on up works for me. And with the three year warranty, extendable two times, I should have a bike under warranty all the way to dirt (and no, I do not mean falling down in dirt  ;) ;D).

Brian

Offline connie_rider

Re: POLL: Should Brian (aka BDF) buy a new C14?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:28:26 PM »
Glad I could help ya Brian. Just tell Andrea that we said you had to do it.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:29:43 PM »
 :rotflmao:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline ridinsandy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 05:23:34 PM »
Maybe its time to start up production again on your gizmos, Brian.  Who knows, I might even buy them. :yikes:

Offline PH14

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 07:06:13 PM »
Considering Brian mentioned buying one more bike before he becomes, "too decrepit to ride or die," I did some searching for a model that would fit his needs a little better, considering his physical condition. This will allow him to ride far into his infirm years. It is still a C14, so he should feel right at home. We should do all we can to keep Brian moving. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this more accessible for him, let us know. For starters, I believe some nice grab handles may be in order, to help him mount the bike...er...trike, maybe one of those handles they mount in showers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 07:27:28 PM »
For starters, I believe some nice grab handles may be in order, to help him mount the bike...er...trike, maybe one of those handles they mount in showers.

Ug, PLEASE don't ever buy such a horrible design!  They are unstable and thus unsafe.
If you want to ride a 3 wheeled vehicle, it must have 2 wheels on the front.  The typical design being something like the Can-Am.

I must be under a rock or something because this thing came out and I never even HEARD about it:
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/niken-gt

What a complete mind-blower!

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline PH14

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »
Ug, PLEASE don't ever buy such a horrible design!  They are unstable and thus unsafe.
If you want to ride a 3 wheeled vehicle, it must have 2 wheels on the front.  The typical design being something like the Can-Am.

I must be under a rock or something because this thing came out and I never even HEARD about it:

But that one isn't a C14, and remember, Brian is old and infirm, so he will be keeping it under 30 mph and will most likely have one turn signal on at all times.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
Youse Guize is funny  :D

And I saw the Yamaha- actually, I find it fascinating! Unfortunately, it is a little short on power and a little long on price so not really in the running.....

A gazillion years ago I saw a C-14 converted to a side car with a new front end in the flesh. A nice execution but nothing that was of any interest to me; in fact, I offered the owner a hand getting all those 'extra' parts off his bike so he could ride it correctly. :-)

Truth be told, I really do like the C-14. It has flaws but none that show when I am riding it, at least in my view. And at the end of the day and after all the farkling the basic bike still shines through and is a winner, at least for me. The only other bike I have seriously considered was (is) a Honda VFR1200; not sure what I really like about the bike but I took one for a test ride a liked it a lot. Very nice manners at low speeds and stable at medium speeds. I did not get to ride it at brisk speeds but given its power and weight I believe it would be more than good enough. That said, it is still not quite a sport tourer and I do like some quiet, steady highway time. In the end, I just feel comfortable and extremely content on the back of a C-14 and that alone is worth the price of admission, at least in my opinion. If I can find a color scheme that works (not fussy but NOT that vomit green and NOT flat paint!) and one at a reasonable price, I may well end up with one more Kawa- sickle.

And Andrea may whine and moan but once I get her scrawny butt on the back of the bike, right behind my scrawny butt, things will quiet down.

But by all means, keep it up and I will hit you with my cane and throw my dentures at you.  :yikes:  :rotflmao:

I <may> take a ride by a couple of dealers to see what the latest color scheme(s) look like.

Brian (old and feeble but not quite dead yet)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 07:42:49 AM »

I test rode the Niken at a dealer Demo day. Surprisingly like a 2 wheeler behind the bars. I tried to find something weird in the handling over uneven pavement etc but it felt just like a two wheeler, at least at the speeds we were going on the demo ride which was never over 45mph. The only advantage I could see for the design was the one Yamaha touted that the bike's front end was very planted on wet pavement because of having two tires out front. The two things I didn't like about it were 1) when stopped there was no button to push to lock the front suspension, so it would fall over just like a regular two wheeled bike without a side stand, and 2) the side cases were totally unsecured theft wise. They had hard sides attached to cloth zippers, anybody with a box cutter could easily go through all your stuff in seconds and leave you with a mess that you'd have to strap up somehow to continue on your trip after the police report was filed.

..but I'm off topic...

We should do all we can to keep Brian moving. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this more accessible for him, let us know. For starters, I believe some nice grab handles may be in order, to help him mount...

I'm not sure about the bars, IIRC Brian has an in the wall (Toto?) tank toilet so these may not work, but you get the idea.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 09:12:09 AM »
The 2021 looks niiiiiiice in the Black which is of course both the fastest AND sexiest colour.  :popcorn:

That said, anything after 2009 has those damned linked brakes, so I'm out!
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »
Question:  Why is there a poll for BDF?  Did something happen to his C14 that I didn’t read about?  What gives? 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »

..but I'm off topic...

I'm not sure about the bars, IIRC Brian has an in the wall (Toto?) tank toilet so these may not work, but you get the idea.

:rotflmao:

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »
Youse Guize is funny  :D

And I saw the Yamaha- actually, I find it fascinating! Unfortunately, it is a little short on power and a little long on price so not really in the running.....

A gazillion years ago I saw a C-14 converted to a side car with a new front end in the flesh. A nice execution but nothing that was of any interest to me; in fact, I offered the owner a hand getting all those 'extra' parts off his bike so he could ride it correctly. :-)

Truth be told, I really do like the C-14. It has flaws but none that show when I am riding it, at least in my view. And at the end of the day and after all the farkling the basic bike still shines through and is a winner, at least for me. The only other bike I have seriously considered was (is) a Honda VFR1200; not sure what I really like about the bike but I took one for a test ride a liked it a lot. Very nice manners at low speeds and stable at medium speeds. I did not get to ride it at brisk speeds but given its power and weight I believe it would be more than good enough. That said, it is still not quite a sport tourer and I do like some quiet, steady highway time. In the end, I just feel comfortable and extremely content on the back of a C-14 and that alone is worth the price of admission, at least in my opinion. If I can find a color scheme that works (not fussy but NOT that vomit green and NOT flat paint!) and one at a reasonable price, I may well end up with one more Kawa- sickle.

And Andrea may whine and moan but once I get her scrawny butt on the back of the bike, right behind my scrawny butt, things will quiet down.

But by all means, keep it up and I will hit you with my cane and throw my dentures at you.  :yikes:  :rotflmao:

I <may> take a ride by a couple of dealers to see what the latest color scheme(s) look like.

Brian (old and feeble but not quite dead yet)

I truly hope you find one soon. You shouldn't be without a bike. I didn't know you were, actually.

That's probably me on the left.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
In answer to the 'does Brian <not> have a bike' questions: yes, I do have a C-14 but it is not being used and has not been used in some time (years).

I was on my way to lead a COG ride in CT and was with another COG member WHEN SUDDENLY, we came to an intersection. It was a four- way but only a two- way stop and my road had a blinking caution light, so we had the right- of- way. But a Mustang was coming into the intersection from the left and of course one never knows what anyone else will do so I decided to stop (yes, at the caution light). Unfortunately, the other guy riding with me decided to accelerate (again, we had the right- of- way and so he was in the right here) but looked away for a moment and then.... impactus. Caught me on the left side and knocked us down on the right side. No injuries and Andrea and I popped up, no problem. But the bike was pretty heavily damaged: both saddlebags driven off the frame, both badly damaged. Damage to both sides center fairing, front fairing, left mirror damaged, right mirror snapped off. Other guy was also riding an '08 so there were a fair amount of C-14 parts in the road. His bike wrote $5K and mine $5.5K, he had his repaired while I did not. Put a new mirror on the rt. side and went to the fall COG rally that year and then put the bike up.

As an aside: the female LEO was absolutely astounded we were riding together and knew each other. She asked if we were still friends.  :rotflmao:  Yes, we are still friends though the gentleman does now have the unfortunate 'gift' of having me 'crash' into him and then throw myself on the floor at any events we both attend, in a dramatic and impromptu reenactment of this specific event.  :o ;D

As it is an '08 with 100K miles it has little value. Being cosmetically trashed, it has virtually no value. I have not done anything with it and it is currently under gravitational bondage in the garage. And with the house situation, frankly I have been ignoring it. But lately, the urge is growing a bit and as already stated, occasionally the prices are extremely attractive on new left- over bikes, making a new or recent used C-14 an outstanding value in motorcycles. I really should not buy another one but then again, I am past the crisis part of the house and do have a reason to travel (grandkids 9 hours south of me).

Of course I will need handicapped access to any new vehicles, which I guess would be a crane for a motorcycle. For the others out there, no, I am not physically decrepit in any way, those rumors are just my 'friends' helping things along.  ;) ;D

Oh and BTW, I did pick up the debris and continue onto CT for lunch and did lead the COG ride though my crash companion chose to go home and lick his wounds (proverbial wounds, no one was hurt in our little mishap).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
I posted that I was 'kicking the tires' on grabbing another C-14. Explanation about my current C-14 is in the post above.

I have seen left- over C-14's for just a hair over $10K. If I can find one of those, and I can make the logistics of getting to it and riding it home, I think I would grab it. Assuming it has gloss paint.....

Brian

Question:  Why is there a poll for BDF?  Did something happen to his C14 that I didn’t read about?  What gives?

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 07:39:06 PM »
I posted that I was 'kicking the tires' on grabbing another C-14. Explanation about my current C-14 is in the post above.

I have seen left- over C-14's for just a hair over $10K. If I can find one of those, and I can make the logistics of getting to it and riding it home, I think I would grab it. Assuming it has gloss paint.....

Brian
Okay Brian.  I vote GO!  Good luck in your search!  (Glad that no one was hurt in your mishap)
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline PH14

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2020, 12:16:26 PM »
In answer to the 'does Brian <not> have a bike' questions: yes, I do have a C-14 but it is not being used and has not been used in some time (years).

Of course I will need handicapped access to any new vehicles, which I guess would be a crane for a motorcycle. For the others out there, no, I am not physically decrepit in any way, those rumors are just my 'friends' helping things along.  ;) ;D

Oh and BTW, I did pick up the debris and continue onto CT for lunch and did lead the COG ride though my crash companion chose to go home and lick his wounds (proverbial wounds, no one was hurt in our little mishap).

I hope you find something that works for you, Brian. I had forgotten you were without a bike, for all practical purposes. You definitely will be able to put it to good use visiting grandkids. Oh, and nice to be counted among your 'friends.' Hope all is well with you and yours, and hope you get back in the saddle soon.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Thanks for the well- wishes.

The choice has been made and it is a C-14, if only because nothing else out there is any closer to what I want. And after being an early owner of this model, I still think it is the best of its type available.

I have always had the thought that I would get another one but at some non- specific future time. After thinking they were going to be discontinued for the 2021 model year, and then discovering they will be available as a new model, I took a look at the prices. Pricing on this bike is very good MSRP and much better in the real world. The only lagging doubts are the new flat (matte as Kawasaki calls it) paint on the 2019's forward, and finding a new one at a competitive price. I am more than wiling to go back as far as 2016 for a new, left- over model if I can find one. As to the farkling, it is a bit off- putting how much my '08 is modified and frankly I would have to have all of those mods. on a new model. Lots o' work!

Okay Brian.  I vote GO!  Good luck in your search!  (Glad that no one was hurt in your mishap)

I hope you find something that works for you, Brian. I had forgotten you were without a bike, for all practical purposes. You definitely will be able to put it to good use visiting grandkids. Oh, and nice to be counted among your 'friends.' Hope all is well with you and yours, and hope you get back in the saddle soon.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2020, 02:55:07 PM »
The only lagging doubts are the new flat (matte as Kawasaki calls it) paint on the 2019's forward

That is only on the 2019 and 2020, not on the 2021.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »
Ah yes, the 2021 is listed in 'metallic spark black'. Looks gloss on the web page. Might be worth waiting around a bit to see one in the flesh!

Still, anyone out there know of a new 2016 to 2018 for sale please do let me know, either directly on this forum or through e-mail, available right under my avatar above / left- thanks in advance. Have money, will travel so anything w/in two days' ride is worth considering (and that is to and past the Mississippi from the east).

That is only on the 2019 and 2020, not on the 2021.