Author Topic: Drive shaft boot installation  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Jim __

Drive shaft boot installation
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:52:54 AM »
Does the tab on the drive shaft boot, the one on top towards the outside, go behind the frame (towards the back of the bike) or in front of it.  Mine is in front right now and it seems to be pressing hard on the frame.  Also, I can't get the boot to properly seat where it's cupped on the outside, right in line with the swing arm pins.  It was like this when I bought the bike and I haven't found a good picture in the shop manual for a reference.  If someone could snap a picture, that would be very helpful.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:18:31 PM by Jim __ »

Offline JDM

Re: Drive shaft boot installation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
The wide part of the boot is if front of the swing arm pivot point. Off the back of the transmission you have the boot clamped to the housing then the wide part of the boot. It lines up with the front edge of the foot peg. The tabs are on the back closest to the pumpkin. If i read your post right, it is backwards. HTH if not let me know.  JD   
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:04:57 PM by JDM »
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Jim __

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:19:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I guess my description is too vague.  I'm confident the boot is on correctly.  The rear of the boot with the 4 tabs is the part I'm talking about.  The tab on the top of the boot, closest to you when looking at it is pushed up against the frame and seems to inhibit the boot from seating properly in that corner.  Does that tab need to be on the other side of the frame member (other side being closest to the rear wheel)?  If the sun comes out today I'll try to snap a picture.

Offline JDM

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I guess my description is too vague.  I'm confident the boot is on correctly.  The rear of the boot with the 4 tabs is the part I'm talking about.  The tab on the top of the boot, closest to you when looking at it is pushed up against the frame and seems to inhibit the boot from seating properly in that corner.  Does that tab need to be on the other side of the frame member (other side being closest to the rear wheel)?  If the sun comes out today I'll try to snap a picture.

This might help you there are indexing notches in the end of the boot. take a close look at the photos and see if this helps.
JD     http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-KAWASAKI-ZG1000-ZG-1000-CONCOURS-DRIVE-SHAFT-BOOT-5050-/331115368863?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1803919f&vxp=mtr

Offline Jim __

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:35:43 AM »
Thanks, that helped.  I'll slip the one tab hitting the frame to the back side of the frame member and see if it seats completely.

Offline mlf73

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:47:34 PM »
I just took a look at my bike and the top outside tab is behind the frame and can't be seen or easily felt unless it's from the backside so far as I can tell.
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Jim __

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 05:16:19 AM »
That was it.  I guess it got pushed to the front side when I lubed the swing arm bearings.  It's a tight fit but I think with a drop of ru-glide it should slide under the frame member back to where it should be.  Thanks JD and mlf.

Offline JDM

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »
You are very welcome.