Author Topic: HELP - throttle opening cable replacement  (Read 4237 times)

Offline John_Atkinson

HELP - throttle opening cable replacement
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »
can anyone tell me where the bottom connection is for the throttle opening cable?

Is there some secret to changing this sucker without having to pull the carbs??

panicking in Mississauga.....
John
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"
217,000 km and counting...

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: HELP - throttle opening cable replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:44:06 AM »
The cables go to the center of the carb rail. There are some hooks there. It is a lot easier to deal with the cables if you slide the carbs to the side. Atleast twist it some. Otherwise it is difficult especially since the frame tubes go right above the point where you need to be hooking the cables.

I am sure someone can chime in with some tricks. But it is deceivingly simple looking, cable and couple of hooks. The location is what is annoying, being deep in the center of the carb rail right under the frame tubes.

Take the tank off and take a quick look. It will give you an understanding of the setup.

Btw, why are you messing with the cables? What's wrong?

Offline John_Atkinson

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 12:06:10 PM »
<snip>

Btw, why are you messing with the cables? What's wrong?

thanks DC. The lug at the end of the cable that actuates the opening is broken off right at the end. :-( no choice but to mess with them
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »
Wedge the throttle lingage at the bank open with a small wood block, it'll give enough room to make the attachment, once you have the bottom lock nut on the threaded tube remove the woodblock, then preadjust the threaded end to remove as much slack as possible before you tighten the adjuster nuts. Make sure you screw the adjuster almost fully in at the twist grip beforehand.
Cover the cavernous area under the throttle grip with a towel to prevent total loss of any parts when disassembling the throttl grip assembly.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline John_Atkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:59:22 PM »
thanks MoB....haven't been able to get in far enough to wedge the linkage open..not sure what I'mmissing but the frustration quotient is building rapidly rght now. Time to step back and take a drink breather....
John Atkinson
'91 Connie "Zeke"

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
thanks MoB....haven't been able to get in far enough to wedge the linkage open..not sure what I'mmissing but the frustration quotient is building rapidly rght now. Time to step back and take a drink breather....

Beer does help.

Can you get this up there? I'm thinking it's the perfect beer for the job.  :chugbeer:

Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:01:11 PM »

the attachment point can be seen mid bank, directly yo the right of the center adjusting screw, rotating that whole throttle bar upwards and away from its closed position allows access to slip the cable end in, I actually jamb a long scredriver down there after rotating the rod up to hold it in position

at the right side of this pic its the split part to the right of the adj screw on top carbs, and to the left of the adj screw on the bottom set, I have them sitting face to face for a comparo, when its rotated upwards you can slip the cable end and cable thru that slot, and rotate it vertical.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Daves00

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
What Man Of Blue said about the towel under the throttle cable housing. Don't ask!!!!! :-[

Dave N.
03 Connie
COG 4475