Author Topic: 2006 with oil on top of the valve cover  (Read 6295 times)

Offline potshotpanda

Re: 2006 with oil on top of the valve cover
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:19:12 AM »
Quick question:  Since I'm in the process of replacing all the coolant hoses and have the radiator removed, I have a good view of the front of the engine.   It looks like my oil leak came from the valve gasket which I've replaced.    I'd like to be sure so my question is would it harm the bike if I ran it without coolant for a minute or two?   I don't know of any other way to build up the oil pressure sufficiently to see if the leak is still there while I still have a good view of the front of the engine.

Thanks
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
Sorry, but don't run it without coolant.
For starters it will overheat in certain areas of the motor (cylinder head) quite quickly.
Also, the water pump may get damaged running with nothing to push against.

If the new gasket is properly seated then it won't leak.
What I do is I stick the gasket to the valve cover using Blue Hylomar.
That way when ya take the cover off to adjust the valves the gasket stays on the cover.
When ya put it back in, if yer careful, you can make sure that the gasket is located correctly.

Once ya have the rad, etc back on you can still see the gasket if ya use a flashlight from the sides.
While yer in there check all the crush washers on that Y tube and if it's rusted, take it off and Rust Remedy & paint it before ya refit it.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:23 AM »
It looks like my oil leak came from the valve gasket which I've replaced.

Thanks

How did the oil get on top of the valve cover if it's the gasket that leaked?

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »
Thanks Boomer.   Didn't think about the water pump, so I'm glad I asked.   I will do the work on the Y tube since I'm at that point anyway.

Jim,   I don't know where the like was coming from, but from what I saw on the front of the engine, that's just what it looked like to me.   I took some photos of the front of the engine, but none show it as well as what I see with my eyes.   There was no oil i the spark plug wells, but I replaced those gaskets as I had the valve cover off.   I suspect that since I rode the bike before I discovered the issue that the airflow around the engine drove the oil up.

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett