Author Topic: Fork leak?  (Read 11367 times)

Offline Justcliff

Re: Fork leak?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

Yeah, my right seal is leaking too now at 75+k. Are seals considered wear items like brake pads?...or are they covered under warranty?

I've always considered them a wear item. Although I know someone in Miami that had them replaced under warranty around the 100K mark.

So it's anybody's guess.

Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad I am not the ONLY one who has had issues trying to remove those damn clips!  I am the type of person who would really want to not damage them/remove them and replace them with just ties.  The Sealmate is in my hand now (wow it is thin/flimsy), I am not sure I can use it with the fender in the way, but I think I will try and post back....

As for the seals, I am going to guess they might consider that a wear item, but like others have said, who knows?  I figure it is certainly worth trying a $7 tool and 30 minutes to see if I can fix it myself.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 04:07:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am glad I am not the ONLY one who has had issues trying to remove those damn clips!  I am the type of person who would really want to not damage them/remove them and replace them with just ties.  The Sealmate is in my hand now (wow it is thin/flimsy), I am not sure I can use it with the fender in the way, but I think I will try and post back....

That didn't take long.  I was able to do the procedure with just removing the fender bolts and leaving it attached to the brake lines.  I could then push it enough out of the way.  The tool is really flimsy and thin (maybe 1/3 tthe thickness of a credit card) and easily damaged.  Cleaned forks again, moved dust covers down using a small flat screwdriver.  Cleaned above where they were, used the tool twice on each seal.  First attempt nearly ruined the tool- it is too fragile to try and push up the hooked end so tried again with the larger body of the tool and then rocked it to feed the hook into the seal.  Spun it around twice and pulled out and cleaned then repeated then did other side.

It is fun to watch people actually compress the forks using their body on the videos (usually small bikes).  That ain't happening with my 150lbs and the Concours, so I had to bolt the fenders back on and ride it, slamming on the brakes repeatedly to compress the suspension.  After several I stopped and checked and there was still fluid.  Cleaned that off and did it again another 15 times or so and it doesn't seem to be leaking any more!  Used tool to clean dust covers, cleaned forks, then pushed the seals back and finished up. 

I won't know if this really worked until a real ride this weekend, but so far, it seems like it might be the real deal.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
I broke off my hose retaining clips as well. I just got mad at them and yanked 'em off. IIRC the "best" way to remove them is to (remove the wheel?), then place a socket (5mm???) over the nubs that stick through while pulling from the outside. The "better" way (my way  :) ) is to just break them off and then drill another hole about 1/4 inch lower than the clip hole and run a cable tie through both holes and cinch it down and trim. Now you'll have a vertical band that you can easily slip a new cable tie through and around the hose (not cinched down tight) when ever you need to remove the fender.  gPink's way might just be good enough, but I have two sets of wires going down each side that need to be secured as well so I like having an attach point there.

Yeah, my right seal is leaking too now at 75+k. Are seals considered wear items like brake pads?...or are they covered under warranty?

Being new to the Concours, I have no experience with this issue. Just looking at the clips on mine, it looks like a zip tie push pin anchor would work if someone doesn't want to drill holes in their fender. the ones pictured below would allow you to clip and replace the zip tie without removing the anchor

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 05:26:42 PM »
Being new to the Concours, I have no experience with this issue. Just looking at the clips on mine, it looks like a zip tie push pin anchor would work if someone doesn't want to drill holes in their fender. the ones pictured below would allow you to clip and replace the zip tie without removing the anchor

Those are neat

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 09:00:12 PM »
I won't know if this really worked until a real ride this weekend, but so far, it seems like it might be the real deal.

It is the real deal!!  $7 plastic strip, 30 min of fiddling, and all fixed!  I would say that is a total success.  Highly recommend.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »
Maybe you run out of oil?  ;D
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 06:41:44 AM »
 :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 09:01:14 AM »
 :rotflmao: exactly..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 09:05:31 AM »
Hardy, har, har...

I really don't know how much oil was lost.  I can't tell any difference with the handling.  I am guessing I lost maybe 2 to 4cc.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:21 AM »
You've got a 2011 and it's now 2018.  You probably need to get the fluid changed and new seals.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 02:06:43 PM »
Ug.  Left fork leaking on 01-12-2020.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 with the cleaning, then the plastic tool.  Tested and it seemed OK.  Then 02-16-2020, leaking again.  Cleaned it again.  And today it is leaking AGAIN.  Ug.  Going out now to clean it yet again.

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
Ug.  Left fork leaking on 01-12-2020.  Followed same procedure as 01-20-2018 with the cleaning, then the plastic tool.  Tested and it seemed OK.  Then 02-16-2020, leaking again.  Cleaned it again.  And today it is leaking AGAIN.  Ug.  Going out now to clean it yet again.
Might be time to polish the tubes and replace the seals.  Good luck!
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 07:00:40 PM »
well, if there are no visible nicks.. polishing anything is not really gonna do anything but waste time..  just mentioning that... cleaning seals, using solvents and "seal friendly pokey scrapers" may help.. but I'm still on my OEM's from '07 issue, never dicked with them ever.. , always reconsider every time I think "I SHOULD" replace fork oil.. hell.   I guess I'm just lucky

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:46 PM »
well, if there are no visible nicks.. polishing anything is not really gonna do anything but waste time..  just mentioning that... cleaning seals, using solvents and "seal friendly pokey scrapers" may help.. but I'm still on my OEM's from '07 issue, never dicked with them ever.. , always reconsider every time I think "I SHOULD" replace fork oil.. hell.   I guess I'm just lucky
Agreed.  My experience from traveling to Alaska last year on the dirty, muddy, sloshy roads did my tubes in.  They were scratched up and needed attention.  My right seal had been seeping before the trip and I used the sealmate to remove dirt.  They seemed to work for a while, but ultimately they gave out during the trip.  I suspect that if you’re constantly having to use the sealmate to clean your seals, and they begin leaking again and again, the seals are done and/or the tubes need a good polish. 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 05:48:33 AM »
The forks are very smooth, with the exception of a little rough spot on both of them, in the front at the very bottom.  That area that is impossible to see, and really difficult to get to.  I tried using bug/tar remover, brake cleaner, and several other chemicals and nothing removes it.  So perhaps it is damage in the metal?  My friend has one of those "cameras on a snake", maybe I can borrow it so I can see it.  I have never taken the fender all the way off, just move it around for access, which is not enough to see.  I think the right brake hose clamp is an issue the one time I thought about removing it completely.

Offline TireguyfromMA

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:11 PM »
The SealMates are pretty good but if you want a really trick tool for cleaning dirt out of your oil seals you should try the Seal Doctor from Risk Racing.  I've fixed fork seal leaks on three bikes with these now...love em.  I think they are easier to use than the SealMate and do a better job.

https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2020, 03:21:52 AM »
I would think that cleaning out the seals, if they are leaking from debris, should be done as soon as possible in case the debris damages the seal permanently.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 05:55:25 AM »
The SealMates are pretty good but if you want a really trick tool for cleaning dirt out of your oil seals you should try the Seal Doctor from Risk Racing.  I've fixed fork seal leaks on three bikes with these now...love em.  I think they are easier to use than the SealMate and do a better job.

https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

That does look like a much better design that is easier to use.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »
I would think that cleaning out the seals, if they are leaking from debris, should be done as soon as possible in case the debris damages the seal permanently.

Agreed.  It seems it is important to inspect and clean the fork tubes regularly, too.  Something I suspect most of us don't do.  I learned my lesson, and I hope my seals aren't permanently damaged.  I wish it were easier- it is very difficult to get to the inside and front of the tube, especially the lower sections.  I have been working on my technique now.