Author Topic: BEFORE you buy a trunk.... PLEASE read BEFORE you buy....  (Read 2151 times)

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
BEFORE you buy a trunk.... PLEASE read BEFORE you buy....
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »
There seems to be a lot of people who buy a trunk and are then disappointed in the mounting options. I'd like to show what are pretty much the only TWO options for mounting trunks on the C-14 stock rack or after-market rack.

Trunks come in a variety of makes, sizes, prices and shapes, BUT, they all fall into only three categories when it comes to mounting them to the bike, stock rack or an after-market rack.

(1) Only Givi monoKEY trunks can be attached directly to an after-market rack using either Givi or SW-Motech mounting kits. (I'll contradict myself by saying, JC-Whitney / Sears may sometimes fit the mounting kit).
 They will not attach to the stock rack unless a universal mounting plate is used!

(2) All other brand trunks will REQUIRE a universal mounting plate that usually comes with the trunk.  The universal mounting plate can be attached to the stock rack. This includes the Kawasaki trunk often sold with, or offered by, the dealers. At the moment there is no way to mount these trunks without the mounting plate.

(3) The Corbin Large trunk & small smuggler are exceptions to the rule as they attach to the grab-rails or in place of the Corbin removable passenger seat.

There are advantages/disadvantages to all methods of attachment. The monoKEY fits snugly and securely with minimal "bobble" but, unless the rack is adjustable, the trunk is in a fixed location and that location may not fit every size passenger. (There are options for changing the rack location)

All other brands using a universal mounting plate offer some degree of adjustability in positioning the plate/trunk on the rack, but at the price of another layer (OR two) of plastic between the rack & trunk.

I hope this information helps people before they but a trunk and are then disapointed in their mounting options.

These two photos show the different mounting methods.

The Kawasaki mounting plate pictured is representative of nearly all other brands.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: BEFORE you buy a trunk.... PLEASE read BEFORE you buy....
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
can we get this stickied?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: BEFORE you buy a trunk.... PLEASE read BEFORE you buy....
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
That would be a bit messy don't you think?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.