Author Topic: How to tell if a road is dirt or paved  (Read 5485 times)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
How to tell if a road is dirt or paved
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:42:37 PM »
Neither google maps nor my GPS told me before the fact that Holloway Mountain Road down to Banner Elk is a dirt road. This feature is supposed to be included in bing maps but even that failed for this particular road.

Anybody got a good way?
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: How to tell if a road is dirt or paved
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
I have yet to find a really good way to do this. I'll be watching this thread.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »
Well, if you notice a lot of dust, ruts, or mud, good chance it's dirt.  The bike doesn't handle as well.  You can pretty much tell if you are on asphalt or concrete.  At least, I can.  The bike gets more dirty on dirt roads...  This really is no mystery to the savvy rider of course, but even they can be fooled if not paying attention.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »
On the sauce again, Jim?  :rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »
I'm not sure how GPS works but in all seriousness, all you need to do is get a good old fashioned paper map from your local store and roads are marked paved or dirt, at least the roads on the map are, small, county or township roads may not be on the map depending on how big the state is and how much info they can get onto the paper without the print being too small. You may also want to look into something called a "gazetteer" check the spelling, that breaks a state into grids and show EVERY single road in the state, paved or dirt. Good luck, I recently got lost in rural Ohio Holmes county on the tertiary roads that were basically kinda paved 1 1/2 lane buggy trails, when I got home, all of them were marked on my Gazetteer.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »
DeLorme maps is yer friend.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
For small roads away from major highways, I like my GreenTrails maps.  Mostly aimed at hikers, etc., but they show all road types, elevation contours, etc.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:12:51 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »
The only way I know of is to use Google Earth's Street View. Drag the little man icon onto the road you're interested in and see if it looks to be paved. Unfortunately, just because one area looks to be paved, of course that doesn't mean the entire road is  :-\

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2015, 01:40:23 AM »
jeebus....
google maps....
and pic satellite view.... and zoom in...
wow... that was easy.
I can even do it on my phone.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
The only way I know of is to use Google Earth's Street View. Drag the little man icon onto the road you're interested in and see if it looks to be paved. Unfortunately, just because one area looks to be paved, of course that doesn't mean the entire road is  :-\

Yep, what he ↑ said. If the road doesn't highlight in blue when you bring the little man icon near it then 90% chance it's not paved. Get the street view at the ends of the road in question and inspect from the paved ends. Google doesn't street-view every paved road, but the majority of them are. They usually don't street view gravel/dirt roads but there are exceptions such as the Dalton Hwy in AK. Sometimes Base Camp will not let you use a road no matter how you try to make it do so, it will run you to a certain point and then U-turn you back another way, this usually means an unpaved section. 

I'm not sure that I have the correct road, but applying the Google Map Satellite view inspection technique to Hwy 1559 going north from the intersection of Hwy 221 in NC, I can see that it starts off as paved. From the satellite view I can see a painted center stripe going as far as the Blue Ridge Parkway exit, then none after that so I assume it is unpaved from there north until the intersection with Church Hollow Road.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 06:21:09 PM »
If I am not on the right bike, my rule is "no yellow lines" find another route.  Sometimes that does bite me though because the county line is crossed and the road deteriorates. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
We've got plenty of good paved roads here in Virginia without lines of any sort...

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »
We've got plenty of good paved roads here in Virginia without lines of any sort...
  I was on some of those last week between Hillsville and the Cumberland Gap.  They were good roads, but the problem was that the cagers coming towards me thought they were one way roads and I was going the wrong way!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Yeah, I know what  you are saying.  I usually keep to the right cresting hills and short sight distances.  I've been doing that for years so it's second nature to me.

Offline Mr. Green Genes

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
Once upon a time, I was transferred from San Diego to San Francisco and thought it might be fun to take an easy, scenic cruise up the coast highway, picking it up somewhere North of L.A.  I knew I had erred when it occurred to me that I was riding 2.5 miles for every mile of progress North, but I finally had to throw in the towel when it turned into a dirt road.  Somewhere I took a right, went up a short mountain and then turned the engine off and coasted down the other side for about 10 miles.

I like dirt roads.  I think a Versys 1000 may be my next bike.