Author Topic: Decision Time, and Seeking Wisdom.  (Read 1253 times)

Offline tomp

Decision Time, and Seeking Wisdom.
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:55:18 PM »
Had to let my C14 go a  couple years ago, but in the back of my mind, I've always wanted another, before I got too old to ride.   I found a '17 with under a thousand miles on it.  Showroom condition, for sure.   Having had three C14's, I know what to expect from it, and my only concern is that the batteries in the tire sensors may be getting weak.

Now my quandary...  Sitting next to it was a '17 Triumph Trophy SE, with under 500 miles on it, also showroom perfect.  Since it was designed to compete with the BMW R1200RT, it comes with electronic suspension, audio system, tail box, cruise control, Heated seats and a bit more natural ergo position.  And, they are both priced the same, which on paper, makes the TTSE the preferred purchase.

Anyone here spent any real time on, or own(ed) the Triumph, and have an opinion on which, in their minds, is the better buy?  They weigh basically the same, but the TTSE is around 25-30 HP lower than the Kawi.   I'm looking to get one or the other this coming week, as I'm gonna be on vacation and will have time to play with whichever bike I get. 

Any advice is appreciated, and I thank you ahead of time for your input.  tomp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: Decision Time, and Seeking Wisdom.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 02:42:24 AM »
I test rode the Trophy when it first came out.
I found it a little underpowered after having ridden the C14. It's more of a competitor for the R1200RT than competition for the C14. If your riding is more Tour biased you'll probably prefer the Trophy. For excitement, the C14 is way better.
The one I rode had a very lumpy gearbox, more handlebar buzz than the C14, but was more comfy and had WAY more gadgets than the C14.
Test ride one and see what you think.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 05:23:37 AM »
Warranty status, reliability, repair/parts costs, color, insurance rates...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Summit670

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:37 PM »
Well, you know from experience that the tpms batteries may be getting weak.  I thought I had read somewhere that the manufacturers try to get 10 years on average before needing replacement. 

On the other hand, what you may not have any experience with is how reliable all those gadgets are on the Triumph and how much it may cost if any of those fail. 

If it were me, I would stay with the Kaw but if you wanted to try something different, and there is a good dealer near you, give it a try. 

For me, Kaw lost me with all the complexity of the c14.  I owned a c10 for 27 years and prefer doing my own maint inc valve adjustments.   For me, I didnt want to spend a day or two doing a valve adjustment every 16,000 miles or so and I didnt want to have to worry about the tpms batteries on later model years where they are not easily replaceable.   I am not sure the newer batteries are replaceable as I quit following the issue. 

Another item I dont care for is the FOB ignition.  True, I have never had a bike with one, but just knowing how expensive it can be if you lose the FOBs, I dont need the worry.  I would rather carry a duplicate $2 key and insert it into the bike ignition.   
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 02:30:12 PM »
Being a 2017 there may well be warranty remaining on it.  If so, then the TPMS modules are covered.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 03:09:24 PM »
Being a 2017 there may well be warranty remaining on it.  If so, then the TPMS modules are covered.

Exactly.
And if it is under a warranty, that warranty can be extended another 6 years, cheaply.  Something I don't think is available for the Triumph.  This is why I mentioned it, above.  Of course, if it is not under any factory warranty, that is a big let-down.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 04:28:54 PM »
Thanks guys, for your input.  Even with all the bells and whistles of the TTSE, I'm still leaning towards the C14.  I recently let go of a Duc MTS1200ST, that had all the same electronics, and the basic power of the C14, and while they were nice, the seat height was too high for my 30" inseam.  Almost dropped it a few times. 

I'm beyond the long road trip time of life, so as the CC is nice, it's not really necessary.  Gonna see if I can get more info, warranty, etc, tomorrow.  If things look good and the $$$$ deal is right, I will probably stay with the C14.  With age comes with simplicity.  My last bike purchase was a '20 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650.  Talk about simplicity.  It does have two trip meters and gas gauge.  tomp 

Offline tomp

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:06 PM »
Found out today that the bike has two years left on the factory warranty.  Still waiting to hear from sales manager about accepting my offer.  I guess tomorrow.  tp

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 10:17:57 PM »
If your concerned about the TPMS batteries on the later model C14.....there is someone who can replace them.  Send them to him and quick turn around return. 
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 05:24:34 AM »
Found out today that the bike has two years left on the factory warranty.  Still waiting to hear from sales manager about accepting my offer.  I guess tomorrow.  tp

Well, if true, that is a HUGE plus.  It implies it has 1 extended warranty.  So you can immediately add one more for 5 years of full coverage!

Just to be safe, I would confirm the warranty status with Kawasaki (not just take the dealer's word).

Offline tomp

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 06:53:13 PM »
The warranty is real.  The bike was originally purchased in 2019, confirmed by the service manager and the Kawi, warranty program...  At first they wouldn't deal, then we struck a tentative agreement.  Going there tomorrow to finalize, providing they haven't changed their minds, again.  FWIW, the first service has been done, so one less thing to deal with if/when it comes home with me.  Wish me luck.  tp

Offline tomp

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 12:38:37 PM »
Brought it home.  Ride felt like old home week.  Probably will add 2" risers, as they felt right on my previous bikes.  Thanks for all the input.  More room in the garage now too.    Slingshot is gone.  tp

Poor quality pic from inside the garage...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »
Brought it home.  Ride felt like old home week.  Probably will add 2" risers, as they felt right on my previous bikes.  Thanks for all the input.  More room in the garage now too.    Slingshot is gone.  tp

Congratulations!  Buy the extended warranty, get your farkles on, and flash that sucker!

Offline PH14

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
Yes, congratulations!  Extend the warranty! Go here for a better deal on the warranty. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=225.0  The last I knew, we could still get the extended warranty through the dealer listed in the link I posted.

Enjoy the new ride!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 05:45:57 PM »
Congrats! Love that color!

I wish I could see a photo of blue '10 '13 & '17 all cleaned up and sitting in the sun next to each other....hopefully I can arrange that at the next COG National I attend.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 08:05:51 PM »
Did you ever tell us about the Slingshot?

Offline tomp

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 08:30:04 PM »
Did you ever tell us about the Slingshot?
Probably not.  Had it 20 months. Used is a a commuter to work.  Found out that customers and employees were messing with it and sitting in it, so I stopped using it for work.  They are lots of fun, but not made for long trips.  Went on two, and said never again.  So having no real use for it, I swapped it for the C14.  Don't believe I will miss it much.