Author Topic: Do the police models have a stiffer rear spring?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Jgiacobbe

Do the police models have a stiffer rear spring?
« on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:56 PM »
I have a 2012 C14 that was a police bike. I pulled the radio box and put a normal seat back on it. My rear shock seems super stiff. Went out riding my DL650 today that has an aftermarket shock with a stiffer spring and realized the C14 is way stiffer still. I have no preload set on my C14 but every parent seam on the highway is jarri g.

Anyone know if the police bikes had heaver spring to take the equipment weight? Anyone know of a way to identify if I have a stock spring?

Anyone have a link to resetting the shock settings for dampening and rebound? Guess that last bit is probably in my service manual.

Thanks in advance.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Do the police models have a stiffer rear spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »
I don't know, but it does seem like a reasonable hypothesis.

(It is too bad the C14P didn't succeed, and only due to the main fuse blowing.  With the advances in LED replacement lighting and lower-powered electronics since its release, it now would have succeeded.)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 09:07:04 AM »
I have some questions regarding the radio box that you pulled and will PM you.

-Robert

I have a 2012 C14 that was a police bike. I pulled the radio box and put a normal seat back on it.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »
I have a 2012 C14 that was a police bike. I pulled the radio box and put a normal seat back on it. My rear shock seems super stiff. Went out riding my DL650 today that has an aftermarket shock with a stiffer spring and realized the C14 is way stiffer still. I have no preload set on my C14 but every parent seam on the highway is jarri g.

Anyone know if the police bikes had heaver spring to take the equipment weight? Anyone know of a way to identify if I have a stock spring?

Anyone have a link to resetting the shock settings for dampening and rebound? Guess that last bit is probably in my service manual.

Thanks in advance.

YOU CAN FIND THE PROCEDURE in the owners manual, for adjusting both the compression and rebound damping, compression is the cylinder with the knob, on the left passenger peg mount, and rebound is a "click adjustable" screw, on the base of the shock itself.

Owners manual is a free download from Kaw: here...

https://www.kawasaki.com/ServiceManuals/Manual/ZG1400CCF

anyway, to answer the question Jeremy, no, they all had the same suspension from the factory. Nuttin' special,
Lemme know if this helps, good luck,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Jgiacobbe

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 03:12:56 PM »
Yep. Turned down the rebound dampening and now the suspension can actually react to bumps. Need to do the same for the front but, only one change at a time.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 05:23:08 PM »
Yep. Turned down the rebound dampening and now the suspension can actually react to bumps.

That is great!!

Need to do the same for the front but, only one change at a time.

Agreed.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc