Author Topic: brrrrrrrr  (Read 57456 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: brrrrrrrr
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »
Hey, good idea Jim! How about a big, insulated bag of hot / cold air sent via next day air? Or were you thinking more along the lines of a big, fan- forced duct from, say, TX to NH?

Brian

I think that you guys could arrange a swap of sorts.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 04:45:42 AM »
-18F (again) forecast for tonight and a high of -4 tomorrow. Winter Windchill Warning (-45F) until Thursday.
Our Dachshund loves it outside in the snow until it goes below about 30F. Then in just a few minutes a back foot comes up off the snow and she will just lock up and stand there and wait for you to come pick her up or else I think she would stand there and freeze solid. Seems a common traight of the breed. Everyone I know of that has/had the Dachshunds says theirs did the same thing in the cold. 
I will have to try that cream stuff. But the last thing she needs is more to lick or eat. This cold weather and extended couch time is packing on the weight.

For your Doxie or for you?    ;)

One of our three small dogs has fur so thick, and so much of it, that she even has fur on the bottoms of her feet. She has no issues with the cold, no matter how cold it is. She wants to play outside with the other two dogs in the subzero temps and they want NONE of that nonsense. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 08:59:54 AM »
For your Doxie or for you?    ;)

One of our three small dogs has fur so thick, and so much of it, that she even has fur on the bottoms of her feet. She has no issues with the cold, no matter how cold it is. She wants to play outside with the other two dogs in the subzero temps and they want NONE of that nonsense.

Sadly it seems to be all inclusive with the packing on of weight. Mia, the Doxie, myself and the wife have all been stricken by calorie consumption and failure to burn it.

-14F this morning. I have the day off. Went outside to plug in the TDI that wasn't destroyed  and has been sitting outside lately in the cold. I bought a "temporary" daily driver to replace the wrecked one. A Jetta Wagon with a 1.8T engine. Figured with gas prices so much lower than diesel and winter season it would be ok, but really miss having to fuel up only once every two weeks instead of every four days or so.
Going to take a road trip about noon. Found a 2004 Jetta on CL that is a candidate for the gas to TDI swap project I want to attempt this spring/summer. $1000 and I can drive it home even though there is no 1st gear in it, according to the seller. Might be just shift linkage cable issue. Doesn't matter really. Yank the gasser engine out and stuff the TDI under the hood instead. That's the easy part, the wiring harnesses and ECU and immobilizer/cluster swaps and programming might well drive me to further insanity.
Two C10s, five Jettas, and a shed full of snowmobiles and it's too cold and no snow to use or work on any of them. Got to go further north or way further south for a while, at least.

This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 01:43:28 PM »
I guess we are peaking (or is that bottoming out?) with the cold front moving through tomorrow; it is supposed to be 3 or 4 below zero F, which is pretty cold for this area.

It was 16F this morning and the center of the house (not where the stove is located) was 72F, with the new wood stove chugging along nicely. Will have to stock it late tonight and open the draft a touch in preparation for tomorrow morning....

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
Is -4 even a real number? I am a bit chilly today and it's 76!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 03:43:55 PM »
Quote from: Deziner link=topic=18720.msg229894#msg229894 date=142066ye6093
Is -4 even a real number? I am a bit chilly today and it's 76!

Yes, it is... interestingly I'm awaiting the heatwave, when we get 20+ f
After my new years eve drunken attempt to fixing my slammed flue damper, which resulted in blistering second degree burns on my arm where my welding gloves ended, I painfully admit you need to experience cold, to really apreciate anything above COLD.
Hey, I wouldn't trade this for Virginia weather again, knowing that could result in a clustrfark, but man, at least we have turns in the roads up here, hehehhehheh

Ride safe you bastiches... its 5* here right now, and dropping.
Having spent a month in a white canvas tent, in Alberta wilderness, watching leaves turn to gold then fall, and waking up sleeping on the ground, at -15*, I can say its all what ya make of it.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 03:57:43 PM »
I grew up in a little town outside of Pittsburgh, Pa and later had the "opportunity"  to spend some time on Galcana Glacier in Alaska. 30 years ago I moved to the Sonoran desert and I've never looked back. There aren't many days here that are much over 110 so it's quite comfortable most of the time. Even the rides to Vegas or LA when it's above 110 are preferable to a ride across town at 50 degrees.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 05:08:32 AM »
According to my weather station right at this moment it's 10f below zero with a wind chill of 30f below.   :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 05:47:26 AM »
That's just wrong

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:51 AM »
I agree.  It's 7 here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 07:02:27 AM »
22 in Austin this morning. Balmy compared to what we had in CO last week but feels so cold here I actually drove the cage to work this morning. Probably a good thing since they are predicting freezing rain starting tonight and if it came in early while I was still at work it could strand me if I was on the connie.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 10:16:12 AM »
3 below zero as I type this at work today, as I work outside I need to plan my day if anything happens. Its not bad really if you know how to deal with it. So for anybody here who works outside, stay warm and be safe brothers and sisters.  ;)
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 10:21:46 AM »
According to my weather station right at this moment it's 10f below zero with a wind chill of 30f below.   :o
We started out at 5 this morn, it dropped to zero...
The sun came up, now were back up to 5 again...the snow is really crunchy...squeeky..
Looks like well be at zero again tomorry at sunup.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 10:29:44 AM »
I turn off the local weather idiots because they are idiots. When was the last time, if ever, a child suffered or was killed by wind chill temps solely from walking to or from school? Think we would have heard about it? And what do all the kids do when school is closed due to wind chill temps? They spend the day outside sledding, skiing and having a blast. Well, I guess I can understand why they close schools when I look at the idiots they have for parents who wear tennis shoes and light coats with no hats or gloves on below zero days.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
I turn off the local weather idiots because they are idiots. When was the last time, if ever, a child suffered or was killed by wind chill temps solely from walking to or from school? Think we would have heard about it? And what do all the kids do when school is closed due to wind chill temps? They spend the day outside sledding, skiing and having a blast. Well, I guess I can understand why they close schools when I look at the idiots they have for parents who wear tennis shoes and light coats with no hats or gloves on below zero days.

+10
Last night, I made the mistake of eating the last 4 chocolate covered raspberries that Momma was hoarding, she went ballistic on me... soooo, seeing as I had already had a glass of Bourbon, I donned my cold weather gear, and walked down the road to the Convenient Food Mart, to get her some chocolate... because I'm such a nice guy..(lie, I just got tired of the screaming..)
It's about 1/4 mile, I do it all the time, but it was single digits... and blowing gusts 20+ mph.
While I was checking out, a kid comes bopping in there, sneakers, no socks, basketball shorts, and a tank top..his car was out front running, of course... I looked at him and thought to myself just what would he do if he slid off into a ditch out here, and had to walk for help. The girl at the counter knew exactly what was going thru my mind while I stood there shaking my head and putting on my gloves.. I was really tempted to shut his car off, lock the doors, and toss his keys into the snowdrift..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
I'm allowed to be mad at these idiots because when they do get into trouble, its me that has to endanger his life to save these morons. Sometimes we don't get there in time, like this past weekend.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 04:30:44 PM »
Some lessons learn easy.
Some lessons learn hard.
And some lessons are never learned.

We are guilty of it here, going out not really dressed for the weather, because it does not usually get bitterly cold here and there are no large, open areas away from some kind of decent environment inside. I did know a guy who worked in northern Alaska for several years and it really does take a different method to live in those harsh environments. I can run out to my garage in the middle of winter in shirtsleeves because it is never cold enough to debilitate. When it is -20, -30F or colder, a person just cannot go outside unprepared because even a simple slip and fall could result in.... well, death. I remember that gentleman telling me that in AK, in the winter, a person simply cannot go outside with any exposed skin, not even to a different building nearby, because skin freezes so fast.

Brian

<snip>

.. I was really tempted to shut his car off, lock the doors, and toss his keys into the snowdrift..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:03 PM »
We had a lady drive into a bank today, literally, drove it into the side wall of the bank. I was outside for about 1/2 hour, my forehead and cheeks were numb and I was getting a headache from the wind. I go into the bank, she's wearing tennis shoes, light coat, no hat, no gloves. I watch the people driving up to go into the bank all dressed the same. I'm cold, and I got all my gear on. She was ok, I asked her where she was going and why she was dressed the way she was, she just shrugged, as if saying, "who would have thought I'd drive into the bank today"? I wasn't going to ask her what if it was after hours and she was going through the ATM and this happened? No cell phone. I get back to the firehouse, look up the temp, 3 below zero current temp. What are you going to do? You can't fix stupid.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 04:45:38 AM »
We had a lady drive into a bank today, literally, drove it into the side wall of the bank. I was outside for about 1/2 hour, my forehead and cheeks were numb and I was getting a headache from the wind. I go into the bank, she's wearing tennis shoes, light coat, no hat, no gloves. I watch the people driving up to go into the bank all dressed the same. I'm cold, and I got all my gear on. She was ok, I asked her where she was going and why she was dressed the way she was, she just shrugged, as if saying, "who would have thought I'd drive into the bank today"? I wasn't going to ask her what if it was after hours and she was going through the ATM and this happened? No cell phone. I get back to the firehouse, look up the temp, 3 below zero current temp. What are you going to do? You can't fix stupid.

Back in the days when I had to work for a living, I did it at a university and I was there for 30 years. One would think that college 'kids' would know how to dress themselves no? No, they don't, not all of them anyways. When momma isn't around to tell them what to wear they have no idea. I don't know how many times I stood in the halls watching the idiots walking into class in light jackets, no gloves, no hats, and no brains, while it was below zero outside. The absolute worse was seeing some moron wearing shorts in that weather. I can say that, for the most part, women are smarter than men in this regard. In all those years I only witnessed a handful of women stupid enough to wear shorts in those conditions. 

On the other hand, I sure do miss seeing those young women in the warm weather. That's the ONLY thing that I miss about working there...    :P

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 07:00:33 AM »
The problem is not being smart enough to wear appropriate clothing for the weather. The problem is that for a teenager, getting laid is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 and the next highest priority is maybe a 2. Therefor it is infinitely more important to look cool then the be dressed for weather. The ones that never get over this as they age grow up to ride Harley's.