Author Topic: It's the simple things.....that drive me nuts...right footpeg this time  (Read 3142 times)

Offline lonelobo

I'm replacing the Hillbilly engineered footpeg supports and footpegs on my 2000 Concours and am going through the process of discovery with my new bike, ie. how to be efficient in dis and re assembly.  Left side peg is piece of cake to replace, though I now know that the footpegs don't come with all necessary parts (ie. all were missing and the removed part was welded and held together with sheet metal screws).  So I've placed another order for springs, clevis pins, dampers, etc.  Now I see why the PO just welded a piece of angle iron onto a piece of sheet metal and used sheet metal screws to hold the rubber pad in the angle iron...this is getting pricey.  However, having a footpeg that doesn't fold up seems to be asking for trouble IMHO.

Now I need to get the right side rider peg bracket off and have encountered many head scratching moments.  I ask guidance from the gathered wise men.  I find that the clevis pin that holds the peg to the peg bracket is blocked from coming out by the swingarm retaining nut.  I also find that the upper bolt for the peg bracket (it is not conveniently exposed as the left peg bracket bolts are) is impossible to reach with the bike sitting on the center stand.   The rear swing arm blocks my attempts to get a hex key or socket in place to remove it.   

So I ask all of you to whom this is second nature, please explain to a simple man what must be removed in order to get to this upper bolt.  I have not tried putting the bike on it's side stand yet.  Also, please elaborate as to the order of removal of items that must be dealt with.  I have both the Kawi Service Manual and the Clymer manual and they both just say to look at the schematic and remove the bracket.  I believe both manuals were the evil final masterpieces of the Marquis deSade. 

TIA for all your advice. 

Offline bradleym

The mount for the right footpeg is actually mounted on another piece by 2 bolts from "behind".  You need to remove 2 bolts holding the rear master cylinder on, then all should be clear.

Bradley

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
It's not as bad as it looks. Remove the two bolts fastening your rear brake master cylinder to the footpeg bracket Remove the bottom bolt located under the brake lever, remove the upper bolt located between but above the rear brake master cylinder. The footpeg bracket can be removed from the bike at this time. You can now pull the clevis pin and remove the master cylinder clevis pin. If you need to separate the 2 pieces which make up the bracket assembly, remove the 2 bolts on the back side of the footpeg bracket.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline lonelobo

Thanks guys!  Mission Accomplished.