Author Topic: Hydro'd C10 rebuilt and running smoothly... but no power underload!  (Read 16504 times)

Offline Bikenagain

Re: Hydro'd C10 rebuilt and running smoothly... but no power underload!
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2015, 04:30:56 PM »
Steve is right, you have used the wrong timing mark on your inlet cam. the one you want is just below the one you have used next to the bolt. You have timed the inlet on the square hole but the cog is bolted on the round holes. have a look at your exhaust cam picture and you will see the timing 2 timing marks opossite the exhaust mark. As the cogs are identical. you have timed the exhaust correctly.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
Steve is right, you have used the wrong timing mark on your inlet cam. the one you want is just below the one you have used next to the bolt. You have timed the inlet on the square hole but the cog is bolted on the round holes. have a look at your exhaust cam picture and you will see the timing 2 timing marks opossite the exhaust mark. As the cogs are identical. you have timed the exhaust correctly.

really? hmmmm, by the photo, and comparing to the book, it does look like 3 teeth shy...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2015, 05:47:30 PM »
steve is right

Steve

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
At the risk of sounding like I'm blowing smoke up peoples back sides... I AM SO grateful  you have NO idea!!!  and I keep worrying that you guys will give up on me!!!  but I aslo want to be as trueful as possibble (even if it pisses people off)  (rock and a hard place) Plus it makes you all's help less effective if I lie about stuff (right?)     

sorry about the hundred mile thing but its true... first I put the bike together and it barely ran, but idled nicely ... so at that point (i had enough sense to join this forum)  I then put the air box on (like I said) and rode it a bit...10 miles or so  and it wasn't good at all but I did get 10 or so miles in.  You guys started giving me info and I think you can read between the lines as to when each ride occurred (maybe 2 or 3 times) i took it out after tring the stuff you guys suggested.  The last ride was to Annapolis MD to buy some Hard Drives for the video business.  That ride, by it's self is an almost 40 mile ride.  Like I said each time it's gotten better BUT there has always been a "this isn't going away " quality to the ride.

I'm not joking, I REALLY want this bike back (at least) to its old self (which would be WAY better than it is now) and I am so thankful for the heavy weights that are taking the time to help!!!  besides I think if this could happen to me, It will probably happen to someone else at some point... I will endure this pain if later it helps someone else avoid the process!  (at the risk of my pride) So trust me I'm in this thing  till its fixed.  I feel I owe all you guys at least that,  The only question is will you guys give up on this painful long distance opperation LOL!!
I'm just doing the best I can, with the little bit I got!

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »
I don't undersatnd... are you guys saying the intake cam is timed wrong??

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
YES!!! that's it... that HAS to be it!! there are 2 places on the intake cam (right next to each other) with the the word "IN"... GOOD GRIEF!!!  I haven't fixed it yet (I will go into the garage and change it now!!)  but this is certainly THE issue!! (does anyone have a "dumbass" sticker for me ??)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!  this HAS to be it!!!

I will report back later!!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
After you get the intake cam timed right, throw that compression tester in the bottom of a drawer somewhere and get one like was pictured by MOB.
 ;)

I'm thinking your next post will be one of joy when you fire that engine up.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
Related question, sort of.
Are these interference type engines, as in valves and pistons can make contact if out of time and if so, how much "out" can it be before bad things start to happen in there.

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »
Jettawreck and Steve, (and everyone else)!... Yeah baby!!! pert-near ripped my arms out of my shoulders!!!   OH and BTW... I did the compression check after it was timed right... You are going to claim I'm lying.... 210PSI each with #4 a little bit higher 215PSI!!  so I don't care if that number is even close to right... but in perspective... that's a big "A" difference from the earlier readings! and assuming that this guage reads high... that means it's amazing it ran at ALL!!  that's a real testiment to the toughness of this bike!! 

Guys I think I'm gonna cry...

THANK YOU from the bottom of this dumb-asses heart!!!

brad b Studio51... Oh and I'm going to be the guy you wished you never helped  HA HA HA...
NO i promise to behave myself!!

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2015, 08:39:36 PM »
Jettawreck, yeah The manual says that if it's timed wrong... it will hurt it's self (interference)  I was off by what? 3 whole teeth on the intake!  YIKES... who knows how close I was to distruction  but I did always do a few "by hand" rotations to feel for binding before I "put the heat" to it!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
to be honest, I glanced at your photo of the intake gear, and went on without looking a second time...
gotta hand it to Bubba Steve, he has better eyes, and saw it....damn, he scores another victory over this old man....hehehehhe

glad its sorted out now, see there, we really don't give up.....

good catch Bubba....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 06:37:56 AM »
Well I was going to ride "the" bike to my church job (190 miles round trip) (and yes the place that the hydro-lock happened at)  However I just got a bad feeling... I might have not have torqued all the cam bolts properly (in my haste to see it run right last night) PLUS I might still have had a little too much margaritta in my system to boot. Caution hit me and I took the ZX11.  So today, after both services, and when I get home, I'm going to go thru Conny one last time (and clean up all my horrible RTV... a byproduct of having opened and closed it over and over... hoping each time would be the last).

I'm really excited and the bike seems better than before! and that's because of you guys!  again much thanks!

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:12 AM »
Hopefully this isn't too late as it's already Monday.  Glad you got it sorted out.  You don't need any RTV on the valve cover gasket except for a small amount in the corner of each ear (two on each side).  If your going gasketless on the timing cover, you may want to consider Yamabond or similar (Hondabond) as it usually doesn't leave little pieces that break off and potentially clog an oil passage like RTV can.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Brad Baerwald

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
Just, a "joy" report folks!

Fantastic,  gee that bike is smooth!  Seems perfect. If I was going to say anything it would be, that at idle (and grunting RPM's)  it seems a bit "ticky-er" than I remember ... But I think I'm paranoid (after all this craziness). Once she's spinning anything past 2k it just sounds like a sewing machine!

Also the starting is now amazing... She was always really really finicky now I don't think I even need any choke when she's cold (but it hasn't been that cold yet lol!

Guys I don't know the "etiquette" for these forums... I have some questions about how to deal with fairing fixes I guess I should just start a new thread?  Also I was checking out the C10 pics and saw someone (with the same color scheme as mine) and they were commenting on the "claimed" year V the paint scheme being a different year... But mine is supposed to be a "2003" (if I remember). And they were talking 10 years earlier!!!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:41 PM »
Here's a link to a list of the color schemes through the model years. Sometimes they were repeats.
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=38002.0

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2015, 10:31:30 AM »
Guys I don't know the "etiquette" for these forums... I have some questions about how to deal with fairing fixes I guess I should just start a new thread?

Yes start a new thread....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010