Author Topic: Metal roof and mad as hell!  (Read 37284 times)

Offline Conrad

Metal roof and mad as hell!
« on: April 11, 2015, 07:07:24 AM »
Anyone here ever have a metal roof installed on their house? My wife and I installed the shingled roof we now have (that's right, just the two of us) and it's time for a new roof (unrelated to the recent storm) and we'll be having a standing seam (concealed fastener) system installed sometime in the next couple of months.

We're not doing the install this time as my wife refuses to get on the roof again, EVER.

https://www.pac-clad.com/metal-roofing/snap-clad/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:38:28 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Metal roof
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 07:26:55 AM »
Don't blame her.  I did a shingle roof once...  Never again.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:33:57 AM »
Nope, I don't blame her one bit. It's a LOT of work for sure but it saves a ton of money doing it yourself. I've never done a metal roof so I'll leave that up to the experts.

Now if we can only agree on a color. She wants a dark color (med bronze) and I'd like a lighter color. There are 37 color choices.  :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 07:35:37 AM »
No help here but it is something I've been interested in. Do you mind sharing some of the reasons you decided to go with the metal roof?

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 07:38:12 AM »
I built a gazebo with a standing seam hip metal roof.  It does look really nice.  I have traditional metal roof on the barn and hay shed. 

I would say that if your house is two story it doesn't matter which one you choose because at a distance it is hard to see the screws.

It is probably good to let the pros install it.  You need special cutters and brakes to bend the metal.  If you use the wrong tools you can accelerate corrosion.

Are the going to strip the current roof down to the wood and put down a sound dampening material under the new roof?

What color are you going to choose?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 07:42:25 AM »
Nope, I don't blame her one bit. It's a LOT of work for sure but it saves a ton of money doing it yourself. I've never done a metal roof so I'll leave that up to the experts.

Now if we can only agree on a color. She wants a dark color (med bronze) and I'd like a lighter color. There are 37 color choices.  :o

I was writing while you posted this.  A good company should be able to create in software an elevation of your house and swap out colors so you can get an idea how they will look with your architecture and wall colors.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
No help here but it is something I've been interested in. Do you mind sharing some of the reasons you decided to go with the metal roof?

Durability and looks are the main reasons. We don't want to have to worry about the roof ever again. There's a house in our neighborhood that has the same roofing system that we're going to have installed and it looks fantastic. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »
I built a gazebo with a standing seam hip metal roof.  It does look really nice.  I have traditional metal roof on the barn and hay shed. 

I would say that if your house is two story it doesn't matter which one you choose because at a distance it is hard to see the screws.

It is probably good to let the pros install it.  You need special cutters and brakes to bend the metal.  If you use the wrong tools you can accelerate corrosion.

Are the going to strip the current roof down to the wood and put down a sound dampening material under the new roof?

What color are you going to choose?

It would be hard to see the screws if we went with a traditional metal roof but as one of the reps from a company that gave us an estimate said, "I just can't see taking a perfectly good piece of metal roofing and making thousands of holes in it". I agree.

Yes, the old roof will be stripped off and a weather proof sound deadening material installed under the metal.   

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »
I was writing while you posted this.  A good company should be able to create in software an elevation of your house and swap out colors so you can get an idea how they will look with your architecture and wall colors.

At the link above the company does have software that shows what your color choices will look like. They even let you upload a pic of your house and work the software magic on it to render your choices on the screen.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
Don't have one, but sure like the look of them, and the weather advantages they give.
But that raises a question, would it be wise to install lightning rods, or is that not a
concern with metal roofs.. Oh, and ice cleats (I think that's the name?).
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
My parents had one installed a year or so ago.  So far so good.  It even withstood the tornado that eventually went near your house.   They live in Clinton, IA.  Storm wasn't THAT bad (tree & a few roofs damaged.. Not their roof, a bldg. a mile away.) until it jumped the river and seemed to gain a lot of strength.

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »
Metal roofs are fairly popular out here, they don't catch on fire. Discount on homeowners insurance.

They 'sweat', need a real waterproof underlayment (15-30lb felt just don't cut it)

They sound neat when it rains. Real neat in a hail storm. Snow can be a minor(?) issue, especially when it cuts loose all at once :)

Roof penetrations (any penetration) can be leak points, and often are. Same for valleys. Composition shingles 'flex', the whole panel(s) move on metal.

Durability is generally longer than composition shingles, I wouldn't call them life time though.

They dent (big hail, big branches, 400 lb gorilla), they're real slippery when wet, the color fades over time. Roof repairs end up looking like a checkerboard.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 09:26:48 PM »
Not inexpensive, but when installed by the right contractor they are very good.
http://decra.com/
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 04:52:04 AM »
If I ever need a roof replaced I will be going with this type of roof system. The roof is metal and looks like asphalt or slate shingles. They also have the flat warehouse looking metal roofs too. I like the slate look.

https://www.interlockroofing.com/metal-roofing/shingle/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmn2oUhRq8
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »
Don't have one, but sure like the look of them, and the weather advantages they give.
But that raises a question, would it be wise to install lightning rods, or is that not a
concern with metal roofs.. Oh, and ice cleats (I think that's the name?).

Yes, ice/snow cleats. According to the three companies that I had give me an estimate, they don't worry so much about this on residential installations. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:22:53 AM »
Metal roofs are fairly popular out here, they don't catch on fire. Discount on homeowners insurance.

They 'sweat', need a real waterproof underlayment (15-30lb felt just don't cut it)

They sound neat when it rains. Real neat in a hail storm. Snow can be a minor(?) issue, especially when it cuts loose all at once :)

Roof penetrations (any penetration) can be leak points, and often are. Same for valleys. Composition shingles 'flex', the whole panel(s) move on metal.

Durability is generally longer than composition shingles, I wouldn't call them life time though.

They dent (big hail, big branches, 400 lb gorilla), they're real slippery when wet, the color fades over time. Roof repairs end up looking like a checkerboard.

Rick

The entire roof will be covered with a rubber ice/water shield first. They say that this offers some sound deadening too but I'm not really worried about that.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 06:28:30 AM »
Not inexpensive, but when installed by the right contractor they are very good.
http://decra.com/

The 3 companies that gave me estimates did offer to install the Decra metal but it was WAY more money than we wanted to spend.

Here's the color chart, looks like we'll be going with Med Bronze.

https://www.pac-clad.com/color-availability-chart/

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »

Rick

Conrad will be up there applying the yearly polyglycoat.   ::)
My Concours Travels:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
Conrad will be up there applying the yearly polyglycoat.   ::)

And the gorilla repellant.    ;)

One major benefit of a metal roof. It'll be way more difficult for 'them' to read my mind from orbit and I won't have to wear that silly tinfoil hat in the house any longer.  :)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 01:10:22 PM »
Can you actually 'walk' on a metal roof without damage to the panels?
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'