Author Topic: Tog Gear talks about electronic parking brakes  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Conrad

Tog Gear talks about electronic parking brakes
« on: July 19, 2020, 07:22:50 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline greenie

• Arena
Re: Tog Gear talks about electronic parking brakes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »
While plowing snow I would occasionally reverse direction with the e brake. I had the release handle extended out with a split piece of copper tubing so I could jab the e brake by foot without the need of pulling the release at the end. To do it correctly the transfer case needed to be out of 4wd or the rear wheels would not lock up and slide.
To even attempt a 180 or better on a modern AWD/4WD vehicle you need to disabled traction control and disengage the front wheels - if that is even possible and spin the rear tires while turning the steering wheel.
One more step backward for plow operators; electronically controlled automatic transmissions have a delay of a few seconds when shifting between drive and reverse.  Repetitive actions (like clearing a parking lot) take longer.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:26:36 AM »
Ahh the fun that I had with my Vauxhall Carlton in the snow. Hand brake turns, drifting, and 10 minutes worth of donuts.  :rotflmao:

However, I didn't pass my car permit until I was 33 and I was 36 when this happened,... and I did it in the empty car park next to where I worked,... with all my colleagues watching through the windows. They did their hooliganism (well, the male colleagues did) when they were in their teens and early 20s, but back then I had a motorcycle and had no need of handbrake turns as I could do wheelies and stuff. So, there I was 36 and doing my first car based hooliganisms.  8)

Then I replaced the Carlton with an Acura RL, which is front wheel drive and has a pedal for the emergency brake, and now I have a Lexus LS430 that has both the pedal emergency brake and has computers that just won't let you lose control until you have spent 5 mins turning them all off. Even then, they are not really off. Do I miss hand brake turns? Not really, but every so often I still go a little batsh!t in the car, just for fun.  :banana :thumbs:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:53:44 AM »
I enjoy using the handbrake  and locking the rear tires right beside someone carrying bags of groceries.. back then there was no  plastic bags with handles.. only paper bags..
Watching those bags of groceries flying upwards  through the air truly made my day.

If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle