Author Topic: Onboard computer display mod  (Read 41314 times)

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
Re: Onboard computer display mod
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
So easy, even a Gnome can do it. This was an awesome write up. I started by looking for a momentary switch on line. One of the first things I found was a trigger switch for a laser sight. Bing! I had one of those! Spare red dot laser that I wasn't using with a coiled wire and a simple velcro attachment point. Easy as 1,2,3 it's wired and working.

Thanks Lord Frederick!

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline C14-Pilot

• Riding Pushmountain Road In Arkansas
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
Guys,

I finished this mod today.
I had been waiting on water proof switch to come in, It took about an hour
to finish the job once I got the switch.

Thanks everyone for all the different ideas!

later,
C14-Pilot
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900, 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1980 Yamaha 650 Maxim,1977 Kawasaki KZ 400 Deluxe II,1973 Honda 250 Elsinore

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
http://www.gamainc.com/site/epage/128634_941.htm         Just installed today.
Have to order a second switch, did damage the first one when soldering i believe did apply too much heat
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
Have to order a second switch, did damage the first one when soldering i believe did apply too much heat
I did the same thing, the base got soft and one of the tabs just fell out. Second try was good. Doesn't take much heat!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

MGvalerio

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »
 Questo il mio inter ruttore  con positivo e pure negativo provenienti dal circuito scheda del display.
This is my inter switch to positive and negative well from the circuit board of the display.

MGvalerio.

Offline Huero

« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2012, 12:00:35 AM »
I wonder if any of the guys that wired to the flash to pass button have had any problems???
I was worried after reading that the ftp button had 12v on one side and then a ground that had some positibe volts sometimes on the other.

I would rather wire to the ftp button if it doesnt cause any issues.

Thanks,
Huero

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
I wonder if any of the guys that wired to the flash to pass button have had any problems???
I was worried after reading that the ftp button had 12v on one side and then a ground that had some positibe volts sometimes on the other.

I would rather wire to the ftp button if it doesnt cause any issues.

Thanks,
Huero

It seems a little strange, but this is how they typically wire controls for most motorcycles:

12V of "signaling" power (low amperage) goes to one end of the switch directly from the ECU. A ground wire goes to the other end. When a button or switch is pressed, "signaling" power is sent directly to ground through the switch. The ECU has circuitry in it that detects a short and triggers a relay (solid state) to supply large amounts of power to the horn, lights, etc. Because power always travels the path of least resistance, the signaling power never travels "up" the ground wire and instead ends at the switch.

Now, here lies your dilemma...

The switch, isolated from the ECU, would control the display without problems. However, because the ECU is continually feeding 12v of power into the other side of the switch, that power would be continually fed to the display circuity while the button wasn't being pressed. More than likely it would fry the circuitry as most PLCs are low voltage...

Offline Huero

« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »
Thanks Oregonlan,
I wonder if I can just unplug the 12v side of the switch and solder that wire to the circuit board. I never use the flash to pass button anyway.
I notice on the new bikes, the flash to pass button is now a "mode" button. 

Thanks for any suggestions and help

Huero

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Thanks Oregonlan,
I wonder if I can just unplug the 12v side of the switch and solder that wire to the circuit board. I never use the flash to pass button anyway.
I notice on the new bikes, the flash to pass button is now a "mode" button. 

Thanks for any suggestions and help

Huero

Yeah, that would work fine. Just make sure you insulate it from shorting out...

Offline momo65

« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2012, 11:41:22 AM »
nicely done, i don't have the guts to do anything like that, specially with electronic stuff, but it is nice.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
This mod is for the 2007 - 2009 models. The later models have this functionality already available.

This info was somewhat lost during the server crash here, so hopefully this will help.            Thank you very much for detailed instructions,got off my butt and went to garage and completed it in about 2 hrs. Instead of installing a separate switch, I used the ptp switch, as I never use it anyway..I just cut the wires to the ptp switch and soldered in the wire you  illustrated in your post.I just grounded the other half of the switch to the handlebar, and eureka, it worked. I never would have tried this without your post as I am too stupid to figure it out for myself..Thanks again :chugbeer: :goodpost: :) :) :) :) :)

[
[i

[

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 05:40:45 PM by oldnslo »
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2012, 05:25:40 AM »
Yeah, that would work fine. Just make sure you insulate it from shorting out...

Exactly.  Water can get into the switch housing and temporarily short the switch.  I've slathered mine with dielectric grease which protects it from water.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Huero

« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2013, 11:33:35 PM »
I know this is an old thread.
I finally did this mod. I used the flash to pass switch and grounded to the blk/yellow horn wire. Man, it's nice. No problems,
Thanks to all for help.

Huero

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2013, 04:01:44 AM »
Excellent!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
Apologize for replying to an old thread... Just wanted to add I did this excellent mod on my 08 machine! Love finding mods or farkles like this.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
Apologize for replying to an old thread... Just wanted to add I did this excellent mod on my 08 machine! Love finding mods or farkles like this.

Despite that the forum software complains about posting to an old thread, there is nothing wrong with doing so.  Makes far more sense than starting another duplicate thread!

It is a neat mod for the older 2008/2009 models and it is very convenient to have a handlebar-mounted control.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Flyteof4

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
I just completed this mod using the high beam flash button. Amazing!  Excellent directions too. Thanks so much to the OP for taking the time to document and post this.

Cheers.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2016, 01:33:44 PM »
Funny, found myself leaning forward to push the buttons the other day on the new bike and had to laugh. Habits from the 08 still making me lean up despite the switch on the handlebar. Gaaaahhhh.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2019, 10:30:52 PM »
FYI, Photobucket is continuing it's downward spiral. Your images in the first post are not visible. I suggest https://postimages.org/ instead.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2019, 05:46:17 AM »
FYI, Photobucket is continuing it's downward spiral. Your images in the first post are not visible. I suggest https://postimages.org/ instead.

It is much preferred that users appropriately resize the photos (to something like 1920x1080) and just upload (attach) them to their postings, here.  That way they will never disappear (well, unless the board disappears, and then it REALLY doesn't matter).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc