Author Topic: Got a simple question (haha) for all you guys  (Read 4230 times)

Offline ridinsandy

Got a simple question (haha) for all you guys
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
Hi all.  I don't have a Connie right now, although I bought a brand new one back in 1995.  My current ride is a 2002 Ducati ST4s, which I truly love, but I worry about riding too far from home (Central Illinois) because so many parts (and dealers) are hard to find.  As you are probably aware, Ducatis are more reliable than many people think, but dealers and parts can be hard to find.  So here is my question to you Connie experts: I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 C14.  What am I missing by not getting a newer model? Also, should this question be posted in a different forum?

Thanks to all who bother to answer.

Ridinsandy

Offline BackInTheSaddle

Re: Got a simple question (haha) for all you guys
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »
You would not be missing anything significant.  I would worry more about missing the fun you could be having by wasting time to decide.
Don, Apple Valley, MN
2008 C-14 ABS, AeroFlow Tall, Murph's risers with wedges, Buell pegs, Zumo 590, lowered pegs, Russell Day-Long
Previous bikes 2001 Kawi C10 (RIP), and 1981 Honda CB650
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/DonaldHollinger/MOTO/Map_zpse09bb1e5

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:20:33 PM »
That depends. Is the factory warranty still in effect. If so, buying the 12 will leave you enough money to accessorize it nicely. If not still in effect, lack of warranty is the only real difference. Personally, lack of warranty on a C14 wouldn't concern me a bit. Enjoy!
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 09:38:29 PM »
I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 C14.  What am I missing by not getting a newer model? Also, should this question be posted in a different forum?

Probably should be asked here: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=2.0

The most important thing I can think of is an extended warranty. If the warranty on the 2012 has expired then you most likely will not be able to get an extended
warranty (from Kawasaki) on it. The next thing you'd be missing is other color choices from the later years. I believe that the 2012 is the last model with the old TPMS sensors
which are desirable to some as it is possible to replace the batteries in them. Not so easy to do (maybe not at all) in the newer ones. Then there are some changes in the 2015-16 models
besides color choices which some call insignificant but your opinion may differ. The vented windshield, lower 1st gear, different linking in the linked brakes (improved by all accounts)
are IMO the only significant changes in the 15-16 models. YOMV.

Offline ridinsandy

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:22 PM »
Wow! Quick response from Deziner and BackInTheSaddle!  Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.  I am going to have to wait a bit for decent weather to ride the 2012, but I will keep your thoughts in mind.  I had been thinking about a new Versys 1000 because it is lighter, and at 64 YO I have to be aware that I am not as strong as I once was, but a deal on a C14 is worth considering!  I look forward to anybody else's opinions.

I just read fartymarty's post. Great user name, BTW.  While I would prefer a different color, I guess bargain hunters have to take what they can find!  A test ride will probably sort out the other items for me.  Appreciate your input.

ridinsandy

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:55 PM »
Oh, and a C14 only sounds like a Duc for the first few seconds after start up. Then it gets really quiet.  ::)
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:59 PM »
A 2012 is a current version of the C-14 so no advantage in a newer year bike, all else being equal (condition, mileage, etc.). What the others mentioned about having the extended warranty is an excellent point I think; not because these bikes break much but rather that modern vehicles are so complex that often if they do break, they can be very expensive to repair. So a ~$300 warranty for three years (up to two extended warranties can be purchased for a C-14 for a total of nine years of unlimited mileage warranty) is worth something, or at least some of us think so.

The only other difference will be color and that is just a personal choice.

Best of luck if you do buy one (or with anything else you happen to buy).

Brian

Hi all.  I don't have a Connie right now, although I bought a brand new one back in 1995.  My current ride is a 2002 Ducati ST4s, which I truly love, but I worry about riding too far from home (Central Illinois) because so many parts (and dealers) are hard to find.  As you are probably aware, Ducatis are more reliable than many people think, but dealers and parts can be hard to find.  So here is my question to you Connie experts: I have an opportunity to buy a 2012 C14.  What am I missing by not getting a newer model? Also, should this question be posted in a different forum?

Thanks to all who bother to answer.

Ridinsandy
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »
No idea on how it compares with your Duc but if your looking for long ride comfort but not giving up much performance, the C14 is it. Mine is 5 years old with 63,000 completely trouble free miles.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 12:16:20 PM »
A riding buddy that I go on extended trips with has a ST4, and it is a really neat bike! That said, you'll find that the C14 will be a lot more trouble-free and cheaper to own than the Ducati, based on my friend's experience. The C14 isn't quite as nimble at the ST4, but in normal street riding, a C14 wouldn't have too much trouble keeping up with the ST4 in the turns. On the straights, the C14 will easily smoke the Duc.

Offline SofaKingFast

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »
I upgraded from a 2006 Concours to a 2016 in December.  There were changes to the Concours in 2010 and 2015.  Here's the list of changes which Kawi made in 2015, cut and pasted from a Kawi document:
* Revised first gear ratio is shorter to take better advantage of the massive torque to make starting from a
standstill easier, more difficult to stall at ultra-low speeds and just easier to control in first-gear, low speed
situations.
* New exhaust heat guard offers increased protection for the rider’s leg/foot and is better integrated with the
muffler cover, while new 300-cell exhaust catalyzers reduce emissions.
* Revised fuel injection mapping matches transmission and catalyzer changes.
* New low-friction steering stem bearing seal makes steering lighter and smoother.
* Revised K-ACT ABS settings for the linked effect when the rear brake is applied helps eliminate the linked feel
on the front brake for more natural feeling during low-speed maneuvers. Bosch’s latest control unit is also
smaller and has more precise control.
* New smoked brake and clutch master cylinders enhance appearance.
* Adjustable vent added to windscreen that reduces the negative pressure effect in the rider cockpit for
smoother airflow and reduced helmet buffeting at higher speeds. The vent has two open positions and can be
fully closed to suit weather conditions.
* Revised seat is narrower at front with a flatter seat area so that riders can more easily reach to the ground
with their feet and provides more comfort. The rear area is longer and flatter so the passenger can more
easily adjust position, is less likely to slide forward and is more comfortable. Double stitched seams
enhance the appearance and a slip-resistant cover increases comfort.
* Accessory Touring Seat ramps up the comfort level with 10mm low-rebound urethane layer for increased
cushioning and improved long-distance comfort, an even longer and flatter passenger area, and an
exclusive cover material that resists heat gain in the sun.
* Passenger footpegs are now rubber padded for increased comfort.

None of these changes are huge, but the modified first gear and the improved seat & windshield were enough for me to justify spending extra $ and go newer.  You won't be disappointed with either choice, you can get a less expensive 2012 and have more cash for farkles if that's what is best for you.
Current bike 2016 C14, Gray
Previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 KZ1000
Lake Stevens, WA