Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 852797 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #3120 on: July 09, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »
When it is removed, have it patched (on the INSIDE).  As long as it is not in the sidewall, it should be as good as it was before the screw.  Then you have a spare tire that will work great and cost very little!

I’ll see how it looks on the inside once the tire is off. From the outside, it looks like the screw punctured the tire at 11:00 in relation to the screw head and tore thru the tire and is now pointed at about 4:00. My concern is not if I can get it sealed up, but how much damage has been done to the belts. I don’t need a big bulge developing on a long ride or while I’m playing on the twisties up in the mountains. Peace of mind is worth the price of a new tire to me.

2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3121 on: July 09, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
Peace of mind is worth the price of a new tire to me.

Certainly understandable.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline neggy

« Reply #3122 on: July 09, 2018, 08:22:30 PM »
put a phone mount on the bike so I have GPS to verify the speedometer accuracy, or lack of, and now I have Google Maps and WAZE where I can get a quick look at them

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3123 on: July 09, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
put a phone mount on the bike so I have GPS to verify the speedometer accuracy, or lack of, and now I have Google Maps and WAZE where I can get a quick look at them

Yep, that is the one I have been using for a year now, the RAM "X" mount.  (Although where you attached yours is a bit strange; that is a plastic cover.  Typically you want a solid mount and to the handlebars, risers, or center of the steering column.)

Anyway, it doesn't look like it will hold well, yet it does.  It has a surprisingly powerful grip.  I hate that it "rotates" 90 degrees, however, and one day I might take it apart to force it NOT to rotate.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3124 on: July 12, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Max and neggy, when I had my C14 I bought the tree nut for Ram Mount (I hope I said that correctly, it's the large nut in the center of the handlebars) and it had the threaded center that accepted the Ram Mount post. It mounted in the center of my handlebars and worked really well! You should look into it.

Have fun!
Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3125 on: July 15, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Changed the rear tire last night, then installed it today. I replaced the cracked plastic shock guard (black plastic piece on the side of the front fender). Cracked when I hit the rabbit. Then I installed the Pazzo levers I bought a while back. Took it out for a ride to scrub in the new tire and try out the new levers.  :thumbs:
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline banditrider

• Two wheels are all you need!
    • Off for a ride
« Reply #3126 on: July 15, 2018, 11:36:21 PM »
Yesterday I replaced the Oxford hot grips.  They still worked but at 147,000km I'd worn through the left hand side grip and the wires were showing.  Now to wear the new set out...
'08 Concours 14: Rad guard, Stebel, Oxford Hot grips, Projekt D Screen, Hugger, GPS mount, helmet locks & fender extender, Zumo 550, Stebel, Phil's rack & Givi V46, Sheepskin seat cover, Phillips Extreme vision +100 bulbs.

Offline okrider

• Dora: '11 Black
« Reply #3127 on: July 16, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
I'd been hearing this clicking sound when backing the bike out of the garage and applying/releasing the brakes (not the lever click, from the calipers). Went to investigate yesterday. I noticed it clicks when I release it and only clicks when the wheel's rotating backwards when the brakes are applied. Since I do most of my riding forward and not backward, I decided not to worry about it. If anyone knows why it happens, I'd love to learn..
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #3128 on: July 16, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »
I'd been hearing this clicking sound when backing the bike out of the garage and applying/releasing the brakes (not the lever click, from the calipers). Went to investigate yesterday. I noticed it clicks when I release it and only clicks when the wheel's rotating backwards when the brakes are applied. Since I do most of my riding forward and not backward, I decided not to worry about it. If anyone knows why it happens, I'd love to learn..

Mine does it also. I figured it was just slight play in the brake pads within the caliper. Either way, doesn’t do it going forward so I’m not worried about it.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R

Offline okrider

« Reply #3129 on: July 16, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
Mine does it also. I figured it was just slight play in the brake pads within the caliper. Either way, doesn’t do it going forward so I’m not worried about it.

That's what I assume it is. Got a chance to inspect the brakes though so that was good. I'm liking this bike more and more every day. Did a 3 day trip to 3 hours away last weekend. It's perfect for long/fast sweepers. Goes like it's on rails.
'11 Black: Russel Day-Long, Mountain Runner, cage w/ highway pegs, 2Bros Slip-on, Helibars Horizon

Offline jwh20

« Reply #3130 on: July 16, 2018, 08:12:29 AM »

They all do this and I'm sure it normal.  Plus the C14 is hardly the only bike that does this.  I believe it's just play in the pads and they move back toward the stops when you apply reverse braking.  They must spring back to the usual position by themselves, however, as I've never noted this when applying the brakes moving forward even right after getting it during backing up.

Offline okrider

« Reply #3131 on: July 16, 2018, 08:23:01 AM »
They all do this and I'm sure it normal.  Plus the C14 is hardly the only bike that does this.  I believe it's just play in the pads and they move back toward the stops when you apply reverse braking.  They must spring back to the usual position by themselves, however, as I've never noted this when applying the brakes moving forward even right after getting it during backing up.

It may be because the C14 has 2 piece pads. Maybe that allows for a little room for movement as you suggested. I raised the front of the bike and rotated the wheel, applying the brakes while listening to the calipers. It only happens when the wheel's going backwards. Not worried about it anymore.

On a different note, there's a rust spot on my tank under the seat. Need to clean and paint that soon.

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3132 on: July 17, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »
The manual calls for 3 years or 22.5K miles (now at 7 years and 35K miles).  My G37 calls for every 4 years or 60K miles (that is at 9 years and 30K miles now).

But yep.  Might be overdue, but not terribly concerned.  :)

I bought my 2012 NOS in 2015 and changed out the coolant at 5 years (2017) and about 3K miles. Looked as clean as the day it was put in.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3133 on: July 20, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
In 103 degree heat, installed the "bearinged" shifter from Murph's Kits. Started to get some iffy shifts, caused likely by the crappy plastic bushing that Mama Kawi bestowed on us.

Mowed the lawn after that, so will check out the difference tomorrow, if it cools down to something this side of Hell.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #3134 on: July 26, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
I had a major service done on my beloved Connie yesterday.

New plugs, new filters, Engine and Diff oils replaced, clutch and brake fluids replaced, valve clearances checked and shimmed as required, coolant replaced, even the sump plug washer was replaced.

The guy that did the work for me is an ex-racer for Kawasaki. He had a bad accident a few years back, and ended up in hospital for a few weeks. When he came out, he quit racing, but started his own business, specializing in tuning and mapping bikes on his dyno.

He kept sending me photos, and giving me feedback as he went about pulling my Connie apart, and putting her back together again. He did all this work, as well as supplied the parts, for a mere $241 (ZAR3200). I'll pay that with a smile on my face, as I know how much work goes into it.

Later today, my Connie will be getting a new pair of shoes as well. I'm prepping my girl for a 2500+mile trip next month, doing a memorial run for a brother that passed in an accident in November 2015. The sad part is that another brother that was supposed to do the run with us (the memorial run was actually his brainchild), passed on Tuesday afternoon as well, at the age of 42.
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #3135 on: July 29, 2018, 09:32:27 AM »
Wow, what a great deal!!!
Enjoy your trip..

Ride safe, Ted

Offline okrider

« Reply #3136 on: July 30, 2018, 07:19:32 AM »
Went to Deal's Gap to hang out with a friend who trailered his HD Iron 883. Scraping pegs left and right, he kept up very well and we both had a wonderful time.

Offline mikecon

« Reply #3137 on: July 31, 2018, 08:24:34 AM »
Had a P5 Michelin put on the rear, replacing a PR4. Still have a couple of thousand left on the front PR4. I hear that Michelin is coming out with a P5 GT, but didn't and couldn't wait. I put a set of P5's on my 2015 Multistrada a few months ago and they're performing and wearing great. Note that the Multistrada's wet weight is around 100 lbs less than my 2011 Concours. Don't carry a lot of weight, and don't ride 2 up, so I think I'll get good wear out of it.

Offline okrider

« Reply #3138 on: July 31, 2018, 08:59:27 AM »
I assume you mean Road 5? If so, I just put one on my FZ1 and will be putting Road 5s on my Concours as well. Still have some tread left on the tires but the TPMS low battery message is coming on when bike's cold so may just get new tires and get the battery replaced in the TPMS while I'm at it.

What size did you go with? 190/50 or 190/55.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #3139 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:51 AM »
Eupher, are you located in So. Cal.? 103 sounds like what we have here, in So. Cal.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE