Author Topic: How do you brake with the linked brakes?  (Read 6309 times)

Offline katata1100

How do you brake with the linked brakes?
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
I have been playing with both modes and set it on the mode that gives extra effect to the front wheel. When I stop, I use a little front while stepping on the rear to point where I feel the abs kick in. That's when I give it more front.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: How do you brake with the linked brakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »
Sounds complicated...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 02:27:36 PM »
I have been playing with both modes and set it on the mode that gives extra effect to the front wheel. When I stop, I use a little front while stepping on the rear to point where I feel the abs kick in. That's when I give it more front.

For "normal" riding, I almost never use the rear brakes.... even before the C14 and linked brakes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:29:25 PM »
i am still trying to figure out what i like the best........

its weird coming from a bike with out this feature.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 03:17:40 PM »
Rear brake usage doesn't seem to work with these (2010 linked brake bikes, not sure about prior years) since the rear proportioner kicks in abruptly if you apply more than a light touch.  There is two settings anyway, a standard default bias, and an increased rear bias for carrying a passenger.

I'm not used to using the rear brakes on motorcycles anymore either.  My RT also had linked brakes and I only use the rear on a sportbike if I'm on wet or slick pavement.

Offline easy_rider

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
I use the front brake 99%

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »

Not just complicated, I don't really know what you mean. You shouldn't feel the ABS kick in unless you have stomped on the brake enough to have the sensors believe a locked condition is imminent and takes over modulation of the braking to prevent the wheel from locking up. I think what you are feeling is the pulsing of the linked calipers. I use both the front and rear brakes as I would any bike, which is to say mostly front but with definite input on the rear.

The owners manual states in more than one place that the rider should use both brakes as you would a conventional system. They engineered and built the system, there must be a reason they recommend that procedure. For me, it's so my muscle memory stays fresh, in the event I'm on a different bike or the ABS craps the bed on my Connie, and because I like to feel that I'm involved in the total procedure of proper riding.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
I do use both brakes, what I do differently is stomp on that rear brake and when I feel the pedal give that little t-t-t-t tickle,  give the front more brake.
I am also not use to using the rear brake much. On most bikes I have ridden, I have found the rear brake to be something that either does nothing or locks up. On the C14, it is impossible to lock it up, so I did some experimenting with it.