Author Topic: Concours 14 suspension setup  (Read 85621 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Concours 14 suspension setup
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 04:34:36 PM »
I've got it.....gain 50lbs and use the two-up settings.

That's the settings I use.....

Offline Irish-14

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 04:58:19 PM »
I understand these are Japanese bikes, and they tend to be a tad lighter than we are, but 150lbs? As a mature, adult male, the only way you should weigh 150lbs is if you have a tumor, or are 5'7" or less. I would suggest 180-200lbs would be the average for a male riding a 688lb bike in our fantastic country. I didn't include women, because it would hurt my fragile ego to see a female riding the bike that I treasure so...sexist? yes. Honest? yes. Go Irish!

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
I understand these are Japanese bikes, and they tend to be a tad lighter than we are, but 150lbs? As a mature, adult male, the only way you should weigh 150lbs is if you have a tumor, or are 5'7" or less. I would suggest 180-200lbs would be the average for a male riding a 688lb bike in our fantastic country. I didn't include women, because it would hurt my fragile ego to see a female riding the bike that I treasure so...sexist? yes. Honest? yes. Go Irish!

:goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 04:01:19 AM »
     Some of the old timers can probably remember who came up with this chart.  It seems like the guy said he was around 185.  I'm thinking if you're a little heavier, it would mostly be just a preload adjustment. (?)  Folks with more knowledge feel free to share please!

For me, I really noticed a difference on bumpy curves; it now is much easier to hold the line, but you do lose a little comfort in the process.  Good luck and happy riding folks. ;)

It was Dan from Richmond, Va I believe.  I've used them and have had pretty good results.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »
It was Dan from Richmond, Va I believe.  I've used them and have had pretty good results.

Thank you oh chivalrous one!  
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »
 :rotflmao:

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet from the old site.  This was very helpful for me and will hopefully help someone else.  The difference in handling from the stock setup was drastic.......in a good way!

at some point in the past forum I printed out this doc but never got around the issue and my suspension settings are what I got from the day I bought the bike.
Could somebody explain what the clicks are, and how do you read it? Please make it dumb-proof, plain dictionary-available English...  ;D
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
As you turn the adjusters you will feel them 'detent' (not to be confused with Detente).  In other words, you'll feel it more than hear it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
at some point in the past forum I printed out this doc but never got around the issue and my suspension settings are what I got from the day I bought the bike.
Could somebody explain what the clicks are, and how do you read it? Please make it dumb-proof, plain dictionary-available English...  ;D

And if your not sure you felt or heard a click, turn it the opposite direction to confirm(it's alot easier to feel and hear for some reason).
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 01:40:38 PM »
Did anyone ever post a chart on this?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »
Did anyone ever post a chart on this?

See the first post
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 11:56:38 PM »
As you turn the adjusters you will feel them 'detent' (not to be confused with Detente).  In other words, you'll feel it more than hear it.

Thanks Jim!
now more questions:
1. Front forks - spring preload: when it says "14 mm from all the way out", what do the mm mean?
2. Rear shock - spring preload: when it says "6 clicks from all the way in", it means that first I have to rotate it clockwise (in) all the way, and then rotate 6 clicks counterclockwise (out?
3. Rear shock - rebound damping: when it says "1 turn", it means 180° or 360°?
4. last but not least: what is the sag?
Please, if you think that I am an utter ignorant in these things and need to be babied... you're right!  :-[

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00:52 AM »
Suspension is where its at.

If you're even the least uncomfortable your local track tuner will hook you up for 30-50 bux and its the best mod you can do as far as real performance (beyond holding a throttle wide open and going straight)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 05:34:26 AM »
Thanks Jim!
now more questions:
1. Front forks - spring preload: when it says "14 mm from all the way out", what do the mm mean?
2. Rear shock - spring preload: when it says "6 clicks from all the way in", it means that first I have to rotate it clockwise (in) all the way, and then rotate 6 clicks counterclockwise (out?
3. Rear shock - rebound damping: when it says "1 turn", it means 180° or 360°?
4. last but not least: what is the sag?
Please, if you think that I am an utter ignorant in these things and need to be babied... you're right!  :-[

mm is from that new fangled measurement system, perhaps you've heard of it? The metric system?  ;)

mm = millimeters
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:58 AM »
Rear shock rebound damping - 1 turn....

One turn is turning the screw 360 degrees from start so if you mark a point on the screw and in relation to where it is in the housing and turn either way 360 degree you'll wind up at the same point again.  You can also relate it to minute positions on a clock.  A quarter turn would be 15, half turn 30, 3/4 turn 45, full turn 60.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 05:59:40 AM »
Sag - Screen Actors Guild or what happens when you get older....

Oh, we're talking MC here...

Motorcycle Suspension - Setting Sag

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 06:23:42 AM »
mm is from that new fangled measurement system, perhaps you've heard of it? The metric system?  ;)

mm = millimeters

Yeah, right, tell that NASA. They have been using it unofficially since the end of the eighties, and officially (finally!) since the '90s. Even the UK dropped that nonsense a long while ago.
I still find it amusing that you guys measure time in plain "seconds" and not something like "shiwanas"...  ;)

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:48 PM »
I think there may be some confusion on the fork side of the chart. The preload is specified in mm, but at the top of the column it is labeled (from all the way OUT).  Measuring from all the way out would  give  a different measurement that simply measuring how much preload is on the spring, relative to the fork cap, as the owners manual shows.

If you follow the wording in the chart, 16mm preload from "all the way out" would actually be more preload than the 11mm figure.

Offline att2008vn

• C14 2010 ABS
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:11 AM »
Hi,

Sorry for being off the main topic : anybody having an after-market shocks on '10-'11 Connie ??

Thanks

at