Author Topic: I rode up to Rockford Illinois this weekend  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
I rode up to Rockford Illinois this weekend
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:29:33 AM »
I made a road trip with a couple buddies up to Rockford, IL this past weekend and had a blast.  It was a group of M109riders and I was the only non cruiser there.  We had some rain on Saturday and then on the way home on Sunday we had nasty rain and hail.  Overall it was a really great weekend.  Here is a video that one of the guys took when the sun came out.  I was about 5 minutes ahead at the beginning of the video and am waiting on the side of the road for everyone to catch up so I can play"blow past the cruisers"  (at the 6:00 minute mark).  I had no idea how loud my exhaust was in the upper rpms. 

Rockford Rumble run
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Conrad

Re: I rode up to Rockford Illinois this weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:05 AM »
Well damn Jer! I wish I'd known you were gonna be in my area. I was out on Sunday, 2up, in that area on Sunday. We had a nice 200 mile ride before the storm set in. How did you like that wind? Riding in a northerly direction was kinda strange with the wind blowing due north. It was SO quiet on the bike riding north, no wind noise at all, just the sound of the bike and the tires. Riding south, as you must have been, was another story as was riding east/west or west/east. Had to lean way over in the straight-a-ways.  lol

We headed out by the Mississippi river and did some nice roads out that way too. All in all it was a great day.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:56:58 AM »
Well damn Jer! I wish I'd known you were gonna be in my area. I was out on Sunday, 2up, in that area on Sunday. We had a nice 200 mile ride before the storm set in. How did you like that wind? Riding in a northerly direction was kinda strange with the wind blowing due north. It was SO quiet on the bike riding north, no wind noise at all, just the sound of the bike and the tires. Riding south, as you must have been, was another story as was riding east/west or west/east. Had to lean way over in the straight-a-ways.  lol

We headed out by the Mississippi river and did some nice roads out that way too. All in all it was a great day.

The wind was killer on I-55 then when I got close to home on I-44 I almost got blown off the road by a huge 60+ mph gust.  It was a great weekend with guys that just love to ride.

I saw two C10's around Savanah one was pulling a trailer I passed them right by the bridge just north of Savanah.  Didn't see another C14 all weekend though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
What road was that video taken on? Did you see a '08 C14 going the other way? I remember seeing a group of riders that could have been you guys and the road looks familiar. I didn't see a C14 in that group though. I was watching your video to see if I was in it. How funny would that have been to see myself going the other way?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:45 PM »
Savanahs a nice area and there are some good roads to ride out that way, especially up towards Galena and on the west side of the river.

Did you guys stop at Poopys? They have the best wings there.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
Savanahs a nice area and there are some good roads to ride out that way, especially up towards Galena and on the west side of the river.

Yup we went to poopy's (I ate the big poopy), and the road was in Joe Daviess county, I know the county because I got acqauinted with a Sheriff's deputy and it only cost me $120.  I am not sure what the name of the road was but it starts in Savanah going up a steep hill and as I was passing a church I got clocked at 113 in a 55.  Luckily he got me while I was coasting to let the 109's catch back up.  He saw my post decal and cut me a break and wrote me for 75 in a 55.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »
Yup we went to poopy's (I ate the big poopy),

Did you get any on ya?  :P

and the road was in Joe Daviess county, I know the county because I got acqauinted with a Sheriff's deputy and it only cost me $120.  I am not sure what the name of the road was but it starts in Savanah going up a steep hill and as I was passing a church I got clocked at 113 in a 55.  Luckily he got me while I was coasting to let the 109's catch back up.  He saw my post decal and cut me a break and wrote me for 75 in a 55.

I'll bet you were sweating bullets while you waited to see what the LEO was going to do eh? You could have been in a heap-o-trouble boy! We don't take kindly to you southern boys comin up here and trashin our roads you know?   ;D

Might have been BlackJack road, got some nice twisties on that for sure.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »

You guys were 20 miles or so from my family in Clinton, IA.  Was at Poopy's in January ;D

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:05 PM »
cool video JD.  i hope to ride with you very soon!

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »
Next time you all are up in that area ride 136 out of Clinton up to Dyersville, IA.  You can check out the Field of Dreams from the movie there.  The Ertl Company (makers of die cast toys) offers a tour as well.  Grom there you can loop through Dubuque and cross the river to Galena.  Good eats in Galena.  Road from Galena to Savanah (CRS here, maybe 86?  Part of the Great River Road) is good all the way to Savanah.  The daring might take the bridge from Savanah back aross into Iowas to Sabula, Iowa's Island City.  Neat causeway where you can see egrits nesting ans sometimes bald eagles.  rom Sabula through Bellevue back to Clinton isn't a bad ride either.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 08:42:06 AM »
Next time you all are up in that area ride 136 out of Clinton up to Dyersville, IA.  You can check out the Field of Dreams from the movie there.  The Ertl Company (makers of die cast toys) offers a tour as well.  Grom there you can loop through Dubuque and cross the river to Galena.  Good eats in Galena.  Road from Galena to Savanah (CRS here, maybe 86?  Part of the Great River Road) is good all the way to Savanah.  The daring might take the bridge from Savanah back aross into Iowas to Sabula, Iowa's Island City.  Neat causeway where you can see egrits nesting ans sometimes bald eagles.  rom Sabula through Bellevue back to Clinton isn't a bad ride either.

You don't wanna ride that bridge when it's wet.

LOTS of wildlife in that area for sure. Watch out for the lovebugs in Sabula.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
I know the area and a lot of the roads. Grew up 40 miles from Rockford (Monroe WI) and had family in the Galena area. Have in-laws in Byron.

Still get up there a couple times a year, usually to go racing at Motosports Park in Byron.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
You don't wanna ride that bridge when it's wet.

LOTS of wildlife in that area for sure. Watch out for the lovebugs in Sabula.

Oh, I'll bet thatbridge in the wet will make you pucker!  It wasn't too good in the snow either, although the snow fell through the grates.  I just remembered a tshirt I had from Poopy's- it said "Prices cheaper that sh!t" on it.  Need to go get another if I make it back to see the folks this summer.

Offline yoman

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
"He saw my post decal and cut me a break and wrote me for 75 in a 55."

The a$$hole should stopped you just to say thanks for your service!
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »
There aint no good curvy roads in Obama land!!!!! :doublepuke: Cruisers..........yuck!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
There aint no good curvy roads in Obama land!!!!! :doublepuke: Cruisers..........yuck!

We make do with what we have.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

That was what I thought until I rode some pretty fun roads.  It was good enough for me to scrape some more of my peg feeler (I only have one left) off.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 12:18:09 PM »

And you're wrong again.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 12:25:33 PM »
"He saw my post decal and cut me a break and wrote me for 75 in a 55."

The a$$hole should stopped you just to say thanks for your service!

I consider my self very fortunate only getting a $120 ticket instead of being arrested for "reckless" driving.  I was over double the limit so he had every right to slap the "bracelets" on me and haul me in.  I took the risk and got caught, I could have ran since I was over a half mile ahead but I knew that I needed to pull over and not take any more chances.

Offline yoman

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
I consider my self very fortunate only getting a $120 ticket instead of being arrested for "reckless" driving.  I was over double the limit so he had every right to slap the "bracelets" on me and haul me in.  I took the risk and got caught, I could have ran since I was over a half mile ahead but I knew that I needed to pull over and not take any more chances.

It's hard to out run a two way radio.

So anyway, thanks for your service.
2002 Semi-naked Connie