Author Topic: Bike puking antifreeze  (Read 11696 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Re: Bike puking antifreeze
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »
Sorry - been busy with work and so did not get time to look at the bike. I can see coolant in the reservoir/overflow tank. It is just below the low level. I did ride the bike quite a number of times after this issue and I did not encounter any heating issue. Temperature gauge always looks normal. At idle, temperature will climb until fan kicks in and will settle at middle or 3/4 (depending on how cold it is outside and how long I let it idle). While riding, it will settle mid or 1/4 depending on again how fast I am riding, how cold outside, etc.
I think I will have the cooling system checked out very soon here.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 04:42:51 AM »
Define puke: I would say a pint or two. It gushed out of the tube for about 30 sec or so.
 Coolant has not been flushed.
I want to also note that we were at a high elevation (bluff at Perremarquette, Grafton, IL). Not sure if that makes a difference.
I am a bit confused with the overflow tank. Is the tank/reservoir that you can see antifreeze level? Or is it the small plastic bottle tucked away under the bike?

High elevations in Illinois?     :rotflmao:

Your 2008 has never had the coolant changed/flushed?     :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 04:45:55 AM »
:goodpost:

And if you do all that, for god-sake, replace all the coolant too!  It is time.  Just makes sense.

And some people need to change out the brake/clutch fluids in their bikes too.    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 05:40:22 AM »
And some people need to change out the brake/clutch fluids in their bikes too.    ;)

Oh, I know I should have expected that.  And you are right.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline overthehill

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »
I had that on a 2011.  It would not puke until the engine was pretty hot.  Turned out the hoses were reversed.
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 05:34:29 AM »
Which hoses were reversed?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline overthehill

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »
not sure.  it was a new LEO bike.  it happened during an PO Basic Motor School.  I took it to the dealer and had to ride it hard in the lot to get it hot enough.  They took it in to the shop and advised that the coolant hoses were reversed.  I can call and ask them if it is necessary.
1987 Connie gone
2003 Goldwing (yikes, no lean angle) gone
1999 Connie gone
2008 Connie

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 03:42:26 PM »
Nah....just wondering.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 10:06:25 PM »
That'll be the pair of small hoses at the filler neck.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
That'll be the pair of small hoses at the filler neck.

interesting, knowing the multiple hoses on the C14...   one is the overflow, located above the pressure cap, the other is a bleeder/purge hose coming from the thermostat housing on the "hot" side, into the radiator below the pressure cap's seal...

not sure.  it was a new LEO bike.  it happened during an PO Basic Motor School.  I took it to the dealer and had to ride it hard in the lot to get it hot enough.  They took it in to the shop and advised that the coolant hoses were reversed.  I can call and ask them if it is necessary.

with the explanation I gave above, I would think it took quite a bit to get the bike up to "hot" as essentially the pressure cap was not sealing the system anymore, and the radiator was constantly venting to the overflow tank, with the hose being higher than the actual coolant level in the radiator. In that scenario, temps would remain cool, and the system was never really "pressurized", nor was the coolant bled from the thermo housing going anywhere, because it was sealed between the pressure seal, and outer cap seal of the cap.
Those hoses are different sized, i'm surprised there wasn't a major leak when the larger bleeder hose, was installed on the smaller overflow tube at the filler neck.

This system also has an additional hose that is a bleeder/purge line running from the waterpump, up to the thermostat housing also, this is on the "cold" side, or return side of flow. The whole system does provide a much better sealed system, and reduces any chances of cavitation requiring extensive air purging when all is working correctly.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
It has been a while that I reported back on this issue. I have not driven the bike long distance lately (life and such) and been having too much fun on my ducati scrambler around town. However, now that it is HOT over in mid west, I took the bike for a longish spin and it puked again. This time I took off all the body work and let the bike idle until one but last bar on the temp indicator. Observation:
1. The hose puking is the one on top of the overflow reservoir
2. The antifreeze was bubbling up crazy (like boiling)
3. THE FANS DID NOT COME ON !!!
4. The first/top hose on the radiator filler neck goes to the big hose behind the engine (I am guessing thermostat housing). This seems contrary to what Man of Blues is saying below. The second/bottom hose from the neck goes to overflow reservoir.

So are my hoses reversed? Or my thermostat stuck shut?

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
More updates.....

1. I went ahead and reversed the hoses. The top most hose from the filler neck now goes to overflow reservoir. The bottom hose goes to thermostat housing.

2. I found out where my missing GPS mount went. It was jammed up against the second fan, which subsequently blew the fuse. Replaced fuse, fished out the mount, and now the fans are turning

Just need someone to confirm that the hoses does need to be reversed (meaning the topmost hose goes to overflow and the bottom hose goes to thermostat housing - again, taking about the two small hoses from the filler neck).
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
On the radiator, the top hose goes to the bottom of the overflow tank. The lower hose goes to the thermostat housing.

Sounds like you found your problem, with the stuck fan and blown fuse. Hopefully the GPS mount did not do any damage to the radiator.

Best of luck going forward.

Brian

More updates.....

1. I went ahead and reversed the hoses. The top most hose from the filler neck now goes to overflow reservoir. The bottom hose goes to thermostat housing.

2. I found out where my missing GPS mount went. It was jammed up against the second fan, which subsequently blew the fuse. Replaced fuse, fished out the mount, and now the fans are turning

Just need someone to confirm that the hoses does need to be reversed (meaning the topmost hose goes to overflow and the bottom hose goes to thermostat housing - again, taking about the two small hoses from the filler neck).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 09:14:39 PM »
I am guessing the dealership in Springfield, IL where I bought my bike reversed the hoses. I was not happy when I got the bike back after my valve adjustment - they lost a bunch of body screws and the panels were not aligned right.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14