Author Topic: Throttlemeister??  (Read 15952 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Throttlemeister??
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:20:09 PM »
Ok guys, give me your pro's and con's, love's and hate's about these...

I had them on my VFR and didn't care for them so much, I found them a little hard to use, but looking back on it maybe I didn't give them that much of a chance, sold the VFR about 2 month's later...

I would love to have the McCruise but the $1k price tag plus more $ for install has me thinking twice and banging my head.  :banghead:

I have "Hotgrips" so I don't really have any options for a throttle lock, go cruise, etc. etc..

Please keep posts on this thread specific to the Throttlemeister only, thanks!  :grouphug:

The plus IMO is obviously that it is lower cost then a true cruise control (I can get it for about $100 through my dealer) and that I don't need to get too creative on install and wiring etc, another plus is a fairly clean look with no additional switches mounted etc.

What else should I know??

http://throttlemeister.com/app/inventoryapp/kawasaki/inventory_view/82-0-205-1.html

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Throttlemeister??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:58:22 PM »
One other comment/question...

On the black ones they seem to all come with that goofy red stripe ring around it, anybody black sharpie this with success or do you need to pin strip black over it or paint or ??  ???

Let me know, thanks.

Taff

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
Ok guys, give me your pro's and con's, love's and hate's about these...

I had them on my VFR and didn't care for them so much, I found them a little hard to use, but looking back on it maybe I didn't give them that much of a chance, sold the VFR about 2 month's later...

I would love to have the McCruise but the $1k price tag plus more $ for install has me thinking twice and banging my head.  :banghead:

I have "Hotgrips" so I don't really have any options for a throttle lock, go cruise, etc. etc..

Please keep posts on this thread specific to the Throttlemeister only, thanks!  :grouphug:

The plus IMO is obviously that it is lower cost then a true cruise control (I can get it for about $100 through my dealer) and that I don't need to get too creative on install and wiring etc, another plus is a fairly clean look with no additional switches mounted etc.

What else should I know??

http://throttlemeister.com/app/inventoryapp/kawasaki/inventory_view/82-0-205-1.html

I have the TM installed on the Connie and FJR 1300.

Pros:
1) Cheaper than electronic cruise control as stated and easier to un-install if selling the bike
2) The weight of the TM bar ends makes for less vibration through the handle bars when riding
3) TM comes in various finishes to suit individual tastes

Cons:
1) Install on the throttle side can be longer than expected as you adjust for the correct washer/shim combination to allow correct throttle return to idle from the "locked" throttle position
2) If you setup the washer/shim combos and make it real tight when the throttle is held "locked",then ride in cooler ambient temperatures than when you setup the TM, you run the risk of not allowing the throttle to return to idle because of the expansion and contraction of the metals and sleeve etc.
3) If you do not use blue loctite then you can find yourself with a loose TM which will not lock the throttle (don't ask me how I know that)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hope this helps you.

Jon.

Taff

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
One other comment/question...

On the black ones they seem to all come with that goofy red stripe ring around it, anybody black sharpie this with success or do you need to pin strip black over it or paint or ??  ???

Let me know, thanks.

Left mine "as is".

Jon.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
Thanks Jon. Any tips on operation? When I had it on my VFR I felt like I had to reach my left hander over to set it?? Maybe I'm just a knucklehead, but I could never get the one hand operation quite down smoothly, hence why I disliked it...  ???

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
Thanks Jon. Any tips on operation? When I had it on my VFR I felt like I had to reach my left hander over to set it?? Maybe I'm just a knucklehead, but I could never get the one hand operation quite down smoothly...  ???

I got mine when I was in Millwaukee at the Harley Museum :hitfan:, they are based there. They installed it for me and gave me a tip on using it. He said to tighten the end to the point where there is a slight amount of friction, this way it allows the throttle to work normally, then when you want to put in on you just slide your hand partially holding the throttle and turning the end to tighten. Takes a bit of getting use to but works rather well. Helped on the 10 hr trek home that day! :thumbs:

I love the Mc cruise unit, probably the best out there. Cost is the factor, but then again Kawi should have put it on, would've been a lot cheaper, and would've kept their costs down due to the extra stock they would have needed. If they came out next year, would be nice if it could be retro fitted. :deadhorse:
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
I love my Throttlemeister! I added it to my Connie the second week of owning the bike. It took a little time to get use to, but it has now become a part of my normal riding routine. I use it to lock the throttle on long trips or partially engage it to take a little pressure off my wrist.

I've owned a plethora of aftermarket throttle locks, from a Caterpillar o-ring to the Breakaway. I was never satisfied with any of them as they looked goofy and took up grip real estate. The Throttlemeister looks like it's part of the bike and works perfectly.

As for the red ring, you really don't notice it. When I read your post, I actually had to go into the garage and double check. The ring on mine appears to be much thinner than those of the picture. I have the black powder coated version.

^^What C14 said...

With the throttle in it's neutral position, you engage it slightly so it puts just enough pressure on the throttle to keep it from snapping back. Then, you adjust the throttle where you want it and tighten it down. It's really very simple. Most people try engaging it while trying to hold the throttle in position; that's incorrect.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:25 AM »
Just got my TM yesterday --- the "milled look" version and will install this weekend.

Had one on my ST1100 and never a problem in 15 years. Yes, you have to learn the little technique to turn it on, but it's a ride-saver on long hauls. None of the other alternatives appealed to me at all. I KNOW the TM will work and I really like the machined look.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:54:59 AM »
With the throttle in it's neutral position, you engage it slightly so it puts just enough pressure on the throttle to keep it from snapping back. Then, you adjust the throttle where you want it and tighten it down.

This the way I do it as well. I tried a Vista Cruise and NEP type throttle lock but both looked out of place to me on my C14. The Throttlemeister jut looks like your average barend, but serves dual purpose. For me, it works great.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Bob

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:57:50 AM »
I've had more than one throttlemiester. Never a problem with them. A very good unit. But not as good as the McCruise that I went to since. Yes the McCruise is expensive. But once you have one, you'll never want to go back to a throttle lock again. I've had two McCruise's on two bikes now. Both went on pretty much plug and play, and have had zero problems with them. I can't recomend them enough. That is if you can afford it!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 05:55:06 AM »
LOVE my TM!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 07:24:18 AM »
I didn't especially like the first Throttlemeister I had on my Valkyrie either.  In retrospect, I think I just didn't give it a chance.  I've had very good results from the one I have on my Connie.  I keep it adjusted to just before the point of friction, then use my little finger and ring finger to rotate it tight enough to hold the throttle open.

Offline COGnosticat0r

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »
  I keep it adjusted to just before the point of friction, then use my little finger and ring finger to rotate it tight enough to hold the throttle open.

That is what I do, but use my thumb and little finger to engage it.
Jerry Holland
COG 4478
2013 C14
"Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you"

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
I ponied up the few extra bucks and got the black non-milled Throttlemeister - it looks like it belongs with the bike.  Installation hint - at first I installed it without installing the friction sleeve that goes between the grip and the bar.  Don't omit that, it won't work right.  Prying up the grip to wedge the sleeve under it really isn't a big deal, just use a flat blade screwdriver.

It works, it does as advertised, but it's no replacement for an actual cruise control.  I find that I use it far less often than I used the factory cruise control on my 1200RT, which was a great setup by the way.  Still, it's better than nothing and it works fine on a long flat slab.  I would still get it over the other available types of throttle locks.

Offline comet

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
ZG-- you have several of the farkles I'd love to add to my C14... (Heated Corbins being top of the list)..

Here are my impressions of the Throttlemeister, having had mine for over three years on my '08:

Easy to set once you get used to it: face it, a throttle lock isn't meant for in-town use. Setting it takes some deliberate motion, but using palm and little finger to set it while holding throttle with thumb and forefinger really isn't all that difficult. As others have suggested, the friction point can be preset where it won't take a lot of fiddling to get to a lock position.

Temperature makes a difference: Your heated grips may present an issue, so be prepared to reshim it until it works. I originally installed mine in winter and ended up having to shim it out some. The lock WILL make up for temp variations by virtue of it's long "throw"-- but dialing it in will make a huge difference on ease of use.

Having had "lever style" throttle locks (like the breakaway) on prior bikes, the ThrottleMeister was a hassle at first. But now I'm that used to it, I find this throttle lock to be an excellent solution for throttle hand fatigue on long distance rides. Setting the friction to where the unit just locks the throttle makes it easy to correct speed on minor grades as well.

It's a well built piece which looks like it's part of the bike. While it isn't as good as a full on electronic cruise control- it is a great alternative for those who (like me) only use it for a few minutes rest on a long ride.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:14:13 PM »
I ponied up the few extra bucks and got the black non-milled Throttlemeister - it looks like it belongs with the bike. 

That's the same colored one I'm considering MT. Did you do anything to yours to cover up or remove the red stripe?? My bike is all black, no red on it, so I'm thinking that goofy stripe might stand out visually in a negative way...

Offline pjl52

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:09 PM »
I bought the Kaoko unit, very easy to use on the go and took all of 5 minutes to instal.

http://www.kaoko.com/default.aspx

Peter

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »

That's the same colored one I'm considering MT. Did you do anything to yours to cover up or remove the red stripe?? My bike is all black, no red on it, so I'm thinking that goofy stripe might stand out visually in a negative way...

No I didn't, but it's just painted on so you could probably scrape it out easy enough with a small round tool if you wanted.  It stands out a lot more in the photos than it does installed on the bike so I'm not even going to bother.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 06:20:48 PM »
+1 TM
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline Restless

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 11:07:50 AM »
The "milled look" version and YES, you have to learn the little technique to turn it on, but it's a ride-saver on long hauls. None of the other alternatives appealed to me at all. I KNOW the TM will work and I really like the machined look.

+ 1 on the milled look version and most appealing alternative (looks great on my blue '10) .  For my money and until Kawi wakes up and installs electronic cruise as OEM, the TM rocks!  Takes a little getting used to but it does work great on the long runs!
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"