Sargent
20 (18.7%)
Kawi gel
4 (3.7%)
Russell
17 (15.9%)
ZX14 seat
1 (0.9%)
other (please name it and I'll add it to the poll)
6 (5.6%)
Baldwin
13 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Author Topic: What's the best seat for the C14??  (Read 34231 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
What's the best seat for the C14??
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »
I bought my new 09 last fall, since then I'm on my 3rd seat...  :) :nuts:

My many seats are somewhat the result of being short, but please comment and vote for what ever is important to you and what you have or had...

I love the one I have now but I see this question pop up often on here, maybe this will help folks.

For me, I obviously started out with the stock seat... here's the day I brought her home from the dealer.

I'm a short guy (29" inseam), so I knew just bringing her home that I needed a low cut seat. I went back to the dealer the next day and bought this Sargent "low cut", it was in stock and readily available to use...  ;D

On the same day I purchased the Sargent low cut I also placed my order for a "low cut" (deep dish & nose job) heated Corbin with passenger backrest (4 to 6 week lead time or something like that)...

I bought the Sargent to use for a month knowing full well that I would sell it when my Corbin arrived. I sold it on this forum for $100 less when my Corbin arrived, $100 well spent IMO. Again, I'm a short guy and the stock seat was just too high to use while waiting on my Corbin...

The short time I used the Sargent I really liked it, but I really wanted the Corbin with removable passenger backrest for mama and daughter.

I'm very pleased with my Corbin, great seat all around for me and either my wife or daughter on the back, the heat option is great IMO!  :thumbs:

So what you got or what's your opinion??

Offline metzgerf16

Re: What's the best seat for the C14??
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:45 PM »
I voted Sargent because that's what I have, but I can't make a valid comparison to any seat other than stock.  I like the Sargent so far.  I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and vary in weight between 180-190lbs.  I think the Sargent is a good combination of comfort, looks, and sport (ability to shift your weight for cornering).  I'm about to take my first road trip on the C14 this coming weekend, so my opinion could change.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
I'm about to take my first road trip on the C14 this coming weekend, so my opinion could change.

I left the option to change your vote open on the poll Metz...  ;)

As you can tell by my post, I'm on my 3rd seat in 6 months...  :loco:   ;D

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:44 PM »
Well I hope that is not the case for me.  I told myself that I'm done buying farkles for a while lol.  Even if this seat kicks my butt on the trip, I'll probably stick with it for a while because it's doing the job for all the rides in my area.  Maybe further down the road I'll make a trip to Hollister, CA and have a seat tailored to fit me.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Bob

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 03:26:38 AM »
I voted for Corbin because you asked what we used. But the truth be told. This thread really won't answer the question. Because there really is no true way to answer which is best. Everybody is different. Some like Sargent, some like Corbin, etc. Everybody is different. So their opinions will be also.
 Then you throw in the fact that probably nobody has tried every one of these seats. So nobody is truly qualified to even make the judgement of just their opinion on all the seats!  :D
 I think you should just change the title to "what did you wind up using on your bike!"  8)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:25:52 AM »
I voted for Corbin because you asked what we used. But the truth be told. This thread really won't answer the question. Because there really is no true way to answer which is best. Everybody is different. Some like Sargent, some like Corbin, etc. Everybody is different. So their opinions will be also.
 Then you throw in the fact that probably nobody has tried every one of these seats. So nobody is truly qualified to even make the judgement of just their opinion on all the seats!  :D
 I think you should just change the title to "what did you wind up using on your bike!"  8)

+1 BINGO    Most people can't possibly compare except to the stock seat.  And even if they do, it doesn't really mean anything.  Me from other thread:

MHO the quality of both Sargent and Corbin are high- perhaps equal.  They also have similar and/or identical features.  You can tell from pictures what they "look" like and make that determination ahead of time.  You can pick certain features.  You can know the exact price.  But as for what they FEEL like compared to what you want- that is a user preference that is hard for anyone to define in any way that would be terribly helpful.  Even just sitting on one in a showroom somewhere is not the same as RIDING the bike with it.  And even RIDING the bike a few times with it is not the same as USING it for many times (and on different days, different temps, different weather, different distances, and in different clothing).  And even THEN, you still can't know what you MIGHT be missing with some other brand or model.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:53 AM »
I'm on a leather Baldwin saddle, cut low, narrow at the front sides and with a neutral (level) bias. It's pretty firm, so I've put on an Alaskan Sheepskin cover, and the combination is pretty comfortable. I still need to get off it for a break every 100 miles or so, but that's probably more a function of having old, creaking bones. My previous bike was a cruiser and despite the forward controls and big honkin' travel seat, I still needed a break on that too.

On long trips, I'll often wear bicyclists padded undershorts - if that's not TMI - which help the comfort level and adds some protection for the boys during quick stops.

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
i will be keeping an eye on this theread as the seat purchase will be coming in the near future.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:54 AM »
Even though I'm pretty happy with my Spencer mod, I'd love a chance to try every one of those seat options free for a day.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:17:25 AM »
'10 EOM stock seat rocks.

especially compared to other bike seats I've owned, a few examples of them with their mad seats. That 600RR in the last pic i was doing 1000 mile 2-day weekends like it was nothing.  Discovered i need a C14 for luggage space 2-up  :o

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:23:14 AM »
I voted Sargent because that's what I have, but I can't make a valid comparison to any seat other than stock.  I like the Sargent so far.  I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam, and vary in weight between 180-190lbs.  I think the Sargent is a good combination of comfort, looks, and sport (ability to shift your weight for cornering).  I'm about to take my first road trip on the C14 this coming weekend, so my opinion could change.

Are you my identical twin?  I look forward to hearing your thoughts after a road trip.  Also, not to get off topic, but did you add risers or anything else?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
Steve,

It's a good think you post some decent pictures. (And I don't mean the bikes!)  Because you really don't have a clue. "OEM seat Rocks"     :rotflmao:   

Only messing with ya!

'10 EOM stock seat rocks.

especially compared to other bike seats I've owned, a few examples of them with their mad seats. That 600RR in the last pic i was doing 1000 mile 2-day weekends like it was nothing.  Discovered i need a C14 for luggage space 2-up  :o

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:32:10 AM »
I have a Corbin for my local riding, but my Russell gets thrown on for anything leaving town.  Nothing, as far as comfort, compares to that Russell  :hail:  It sits you up a bit, so the local riding with stop and go's is a bit taxing, the reason for the Corbin.

I like the Corbin alot... but after 800 miles, I want my Russell  :o
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:09:25 AM »
I have a Baldwin and it is the best of the 4 I have had.
Stock, killed me getting home from the dealer (75 miles)
Sargent low, better than stock 09 but hard as a rock
Stock 2010 seat, better than the 09, I know they are suppose to be the same but the 10 is much better
Baldwin Just got back from 6 days of riding and I think this is the best so far.
Still want to try a Corbin or a Russell.
This is my Baldwin seat

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:48 AM »
Baldwin......................now add it to the poll please!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
Baldwin......................now add it to the poll please!!!!! :thumbs:

Done for ya Pokey...  ;)

Offline tomkioti

• Live life like you stole it.
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »
I went from the stock to the sargent and am very pleased with it. I'd like to try a low seat sometime though as I am vertically challenged. I am used to just having the balls of my feet on the ground when I stop.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:20 AM »
And what's best with/for pillion??
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
I voted for Russel but I've only just sat on one. It's more of a hope thing because I just bought one and scheduled to be delivered on Friday. I do have the Spencer mod but it is difficult for me to say it is better then stock since I only put about 1000 miles on the stock seat and can't remember what that was like. I'll come back to this thread after a long trip scheduled the end of June to mid July and talk about the Russel.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
I voted but since I've only sat on two seats (stocker and low gel) I'm not much of a judge. The gel got my vote.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn