Author Topic: Will this winter EVER end???  (Read 42225 times)

Offline DeansZG

Re: Will this winter EVER end???
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »

Got some more throttle therapy on the sled through the neighborhood today.. ;D....after clearing the walk & driveway w/ the snoblower.  Good thing I decided to keep the beater sled instead of getting rid of it. Keeps cabin fever at bay just enough, 'til I can get the bike out.
 As much as I like riding the bike, a quick blast on the sled gets the juices flowing too. If I was lucky enough to hit the lotto, besides a place in the Appalachians, I'd buy a place in the sno-belt just off the snowmobile trail network. Something about riding through the sno-laden trees that's hard to describe to those in the sun / humidity-belt.
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
Weather here was great, about sun down I had to find a place to take a break and eat. OK Sebring Fl had a nice lake.

Rib eye at the tiki hut with live band, perfect.

Now I'm camping here at Lake Okeechobee. The Connie will stay parked in this exact spot all night tonight  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 05:42:40 AM »
7-9 inches forecast here in the Mid-Atlantic.  We're in the heaviest snow band...  Snowing heavily at the moment.   Thank goodness it's more of the powder variety.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
That's my snow! It was supposed to pass over HERE!  :-)

Looks like the storm swept to the south. How are you folks set up to deal with that amount of snow- cities and towns have enough plows? Plenty of sanding trucks? Or is that enough to really put a dent in your week? Northern Virginia gets snow pretty regularly, doesn't it?

Brian

7-9 inches forecast here in the Mid-Atlantic.  We're in the heaviest snow band...  Snowing heavily at the moment.   Thank goodness it's more of the powder variety.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2014, 06:43:45 AM »
Virginia is about middle of the road for snow removal I think.  We haven't had a lot of snow the past several years or so.   Western NoVa gets more than the area around DC.  I'm east of Fredericksburg and it really depends on how the snow tracks.  We've had more snow this winter than we've had in quite a few years.  I predicted this, of course, with the moist weather we've had lately and the Polar Vortexes coming down this way so much this year.  At least I'm getting to use the snow blower more. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
when I was living in Hanover (moved 12/11) I have to say the Richmond area was not prepared at all to deal with 2" or more of snow....
When we got a big storm like in 2010 (17" overnight) it shut everything down....

Whenever there was a prediction of 2" they began shutting down schools days in advance, and bread & milk were scarce.... Ohio is actually getting like that now.... heheheh

we never got the "foot" the scarecasters predicted for yesterday.... missed us totally... I won't even fire up the snowblower for less than 3" now a days.... ;)

these are from an Ohio overnight snowfall in 2001, before we moved to Va.
I bought a snow blower that day, and sold it when we moved in May....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
I drink way too much when the weather is crap, of course I probably drink too much when the weather is nice too!  :rotflmao:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »
I'll drink to that!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
I'll drink to that!

You'll drink to anything Sparky...  ;) ;D :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 04:32:28 AM »
I drink way too much when the weather is crap, of course I probably drink too much when the weather is nice too!  :rotflmao:

It's all relative...

Expedia.ca #EscapeWinter Sale — Snowman
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2014, 06:31:34 AM »

You'll drink to anything Sparky...  ;) ;D :chugbeer:

True enough.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2014, 12:45:14 AM »
We have your warmer weather here by the Great Salt Pond (Lake).  5th Warmest February on record, and daytime temps in the 50s and 60s.  Finally getting a decent snowpack finally this year as well near the G.S.L..  Last year a good chunk of the snow we did get was in the valleys, not in the mountains like it is supposed to be, so we had water shortage issues.  Other areas of the state are hurting more for snowpack this year though (some still 50% or less).

So thank you for taking the arctic air off of our hands in February/most of the winter!  It was nice!
 ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2014, 04:48:21 AM »
20f here at the moment and snowing like crazy! I wanna ride!!!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 05:07:02 AM »
Just came in from blowing another 4 to 5 inches of snow. Give up on riding the bike until about mid June by the looks of it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2014, 05:40:24 AM »
Snow here also...uggggh!
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
You guys are killing me! I want it to snow HERE! I want to test blow (easy boys!) with my new and improved, all spiffed- up snowblower and it will not precipitate at all here! Am I doing the snow dance incorrectly? Do I have to take the batteries out of my fobs? They are teasing me with 6" to 12" by the end of next week but I am afraid the forecast will change like it did last time we expected snow.

You guys have all the fun!

Brian

Just came in from blowing another 4 to 5 inches of snow. Give up on riding the bike until about mid June by the looks of it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:07 PM »
25F and sunny today, worked outside all day without a coat, in the sun it was warm, nice. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Son of Pappy

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »
We are catching up on our rain the last few weeks.  Lake is only down 18"s, but both ponds are at full effect.  My soil is more clayish than anything and the constant heavy rain is playing havoc with the place, rode the GS down to the lake (recovering our goose nest as the dock finally gave up the ghost), felt like I was on snow again.  11 days and I am off to AZ and UT for 2 weeks of DS riding.  Wanna bet it rains while I am there?

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo2/SFCMAIN/Cyclops%20Long%20Range%20Extreme%20Install%20on%202010%20F800GS/CBM_0623.jpg

Lights should help me through the damp stuff.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
I've been in South FL for meetings all week, been in the 80's and AC crankin'  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2014, 10:49:22 PM »
I think we've seen the last of the below zero temps, 2 below Sunday night a record for March 2nd, although its not in stone, we may see more.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50