Author Topic: What is the best thing to do when group riding and getting pulled over by police  (Read 9412 times)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
So I go riding with a sport group and the topic came up today about getting pulled over by the police...  Is it best to let the guy in the rear of the group pull over by himself and "take one for the team" or are you better off if the whole group pulls over?

Offline ZG

• Arena
You should set this up as a poll Phoenix, interesting topic....

I would say it depends on the group I'm riding with.

Offline Bosgarage57

I'd say it depends on where you are in the group :)  In all seriousness, I'd just call and ask a LEO.  I'd assume it depends on whom the officer is/ what the charges are.  If it was me I'd rather pull over than be seen on the 11 o clock news with 11 state troopers after me waiting for me to run out of gas........

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
This is a tough call. And the reason for the stop is also a question. I called my SIL, a Sherrif, and a riding buddy also a Sheriff. 
Both said the same thing, the number of riders would determine if it was even worth stopping the group.
 My  buddy is an on the road officer, and he has had a few instances that he was so far away from base, and assistance, he just followed and all slowed down. Another instance was a group of HD riders not going to fast, but to slow for the State Rt.
That group was 30 + strong. In that case he ran his lights alongside, motioning for the group to speed up.
This is a very good question, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
...  Is it best to let the guy in the rear of the group pull over by himself and "take one for the team" or are you better off if the whole group pulls over?

Having been there... Everyone pull over at once, do a Chinese fire drill, run around the bikes, everyone pull license and registration, hand them all to the officer, speak in a different language (French is good). Helps if everyone is dressed in the same gear too ;)

FWIW, we were all tagged for doing 45 in a 45.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline ZG

• Arena
Having been there... Everyone pull over at once, do a Chinese fire drill, run around the bikes, everyone pull license and registration, hand them all to the officer, speak in a different language (French is good). Helps if everyone is dressed in the same gear too ;)

Rick

:rotflmao:    :thumbs:

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
Me and a buddy had this happen to us (group of 2), where a WSP officer was coming towards us with RADAR on, across a median, with my buddy in the lead.  He saw the cop and slowed down quick, but I was still passing a car, so I passed him as the cop car went by going the other way.  We were both on blue bikes, and the cop pulled him over because he was closest (and in the rear).  I slowed down but kept riding, so the cop pulled back out and came after me.  Then my buddy pulled in behind him, and he motioned for him to come around front.

I figure if they want you to pull over, they will let you know.  Maybe a LEO will chime in with additional feedback.

Given that two motorcycles in staggered formation provide different targets of different distance, with similar RADAR profiles, I've never felt it's reliable to use in that scenario.  He didn't write us up, since he couldn't prove which one of us was speeding, and the fact that we confused him when I took the lead.  Plus there were other cars behind us, one which I thought was coming up fast.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline booger

This is a tough call. And the reason for the stop is also a question. I called my SIL, a Sherrif, and a riding buddy also a Sheriff. 
Both said the same thing, the number of riders would determine if it was even worth stopping the group.
 My  buddy is an on the road officer, and he has had a few instances that he was so far away from base, and assistance, he just followed and all slowed down. Another instance was a group of HD riders not going to fast, but to slow for the State Rt.
That group was 30 + strong. In that case he ran his lights alongside, motioning for the group to speed up.
This is a very good question, it will be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Ride safe all.
Greg

It's not a tough call at all.  If he has his lights on, you pull over.  No matter how many are in the troup.  You simply pull over and let the officer decipher how he is going to handle it.

Offline Vic Salisbury

Everyone should pull over, the LE may be responding to another situation.
If LE was going after the group (or someone in it) they will then determine how they will handle it, wait for back up, loudspeaker verbal instructions, etc. If they would be uncomfortable with potentially pulling a group of motorcyclists over, they would  figure that out ahead of time, or, they just may need everyone out of the way so they can respond to some other emergency further down the road.
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673
'97 Concours "Grinch"
Sarasota, FL

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"

Rick

I like this idea......(I know that may surprise some of you)  but unless someone was being stupidly speeding or num-braining it....I'm not much on speeding tickets under 10 over the limit...
too many tickets for speeding written where they are either,
1) traps
2) just written because someone is from out of state
3) Quotas (which are real)
4) just because some over zealous cop want to flaunt his/her authority
5)because they were targeting bikes, red cars, etc....(it does happen)

Oh, by the way,  getting pulled over and being Deaf does have an advantage....just "speak" in ASL and the cops will just let you go.....don't ask me how I know.
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Now that is just good thinking Rick. You forgot to add: don't do anything that could rile up the LEO while running around and speaking in tongues.

Brian

Rick
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

I guess that would work for most everyone, deaf or not. Of course the risk for a non ASL 'speaking' person would be that that particular LEO did know sign language and that the person being stopped said something really stupid / naughty / challenging to the officer unwittingly. Or even wittingly- my experience is that LEO's often have poor senses of humor.

The only ASL sign I know is for cream (really) but I bet there is one for handcuffs, prison, 25 to life, etc.

Brian

<snip>

Oh, by the way,  getting pulled over and being Deaf does have an advantage....just "speak" in ASL and the cops will just let you go.....don't ask me how I know.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Well I know how to say "I love you" in ASL (long story that unfortunately did not end with me getting laid that particular night). Would that work? Probably more useful than Brian's "may I have more cream" ASL.

Offline shreveportSS

Rules say when emergency vehicles approach with lights on, pull to the right and allow them to proceed. They will let you know what happens next.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline B.D.F.

Nope, the sign I know is just 'cream', not may I have more cream. You could use it in 100's of different ways like "Is that stain on your trousers from cream?" if you knew the signs for "Is that stain on your trousers from" already. Just as an example.

If your "I love you" didn’t' work on that guy that night I would assume it wouldn't work on a LEO either.....

;D

Boy did this thread ever derail, huh?

Brian

Well I know how to say "I love you" in ASL (long story that unfortunately did not end with me getting laid that particular night). Would that work? Probably more useful than Brian's "may I have more cream" ASL.

Offline wildwilly

"Move right for sirens and lights!"  The LEO will pull over the rider he wants.  All others stay the heck out of it - "Nothing to see here, keep moving!"

Offline nosaint7

It's not a tough call at all.  If he has his lights on, you pull over.  No matter how many are in the troup.  You simply pull over and let the officer decipher how he is going to handle it.

+1

Most recent example:  Mixed group of V-twin cruisers, sport bikes and me on the Connie.  Local LEO hit the lights - we all pulled over.  LEO got on the loudspeaker and in very explicit terms told all of us "EXCEPT the guy on the black sport bike" to "roll at least a quarter mile down the road".  LEO gave the guy he kept back a warning about "required windshield/eye protection".
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline snarf

• Arena
+1

Most recent example:  Mixed group of V-twin cruisers, sport bikes and me on the Connie.  Local LEO hit the lights - we all pulled over.  LEO got on the loudspeaker and in very explicit terms told all of us "EXCEPT the guy on the black sport bike" to "roll at least a quarter mile down the road".  LEO gave the guy he kept back a warning about "required windshield/eye protection".
I presume that warning must mean that you are required to have one or the other?
I wonder how some of our cut down shields would measure up in the LEO's eyes
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Mister Tee

"Move right for sirens and lights!"  The LEO will pull over the rider he wants.  All others stay the heck out of it - "Nothing to see here, keep moving!"

That exactly.  I'm not stopping unless it's clear I'm being singled out.  I'll phone my buddies later after the stop.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE

If your "I love you" didn’t' work on that guy that night I would assume it wouldn't work on a LEO either.....

;D

Boy did this thread ever derail, huh?

Brian

It would depend on the LEO. And she was a very nice-looking brunette. Think I missed an opportunity there . . .