Author Topic: What is the best thing to do when group riding and getting pulled over by police  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
One guy should take off like a bat out of hell, flip off the cop, and shout out some obscenities and the word "gun."   ;)   :stirpot:

Shouting 'Allah Akbar' might get a better result...
 ;D
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline anycleavers

There are a few A-holes and crooks that do my job just as there are A-holes and crooks that do your job.

Very good point, I've honestly never thought of it from that perspective.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Strawboss

I used to see this quite a bit down south in the past, not sure if they do it anymore. The police would have 4 or 5 police cars cars lined up in the median, they'd snare a car in a group, a brave/stupid cop would walk out into the road as a group of cars approached, naturally, all would move over/slow way down, and he would very dramatically point at a group to stop, so, many stopped, and....many didn't, guess who got citations? It was silly and really dangerous. They never went after the cars that did not stop, and whole rows of 5-10 cars would be lined up getting citations. I move over for emergency vehicles and stop when I'm told to, but a vague pointing and gesture to a whole group to pull over after clocking one car in a group smacked of income generation. I have not seen this in about 10 years or so. 
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
I used to see this quite a bit down south in the past, not sure if they do it anymore. The police would have 4 or 5 police cars cars lined up in the median, they'd snare a car in a group, a brave/stupid cop would walk out into the road as a group of cars approached, naturally, all would move over/slow way down, and he would very dramatically point at a group to stop, so, many stopped, and....many didn't, guess who got citations? It was silly and really dangerous. They never went after the cars that did not stop, and whole rows of 5-10 cars would be lined up getting citations. I move over for emergency vehicles and stop when I'm told to, but a vague pointing and gesture to a whole group to pull over after clocking one car in a group smacked of income generation. I have not seen this in about 10 years or so.

Yes I have seen this too....and almost stopped at one in Tenessee one time....I kept going...
and this ladies and gentlemen is called a speed   "TRAP"

Thanks for the post Strawboss
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Strawboss

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate or not to post that, I didn't want to pile on and inflame any emotions. Heck, I'm out there too, and the highway is THE MOST dangerous place to be for an emergency vehicle, even though I think its the most SAFE place to be in a moving car. When I am enroute I actually turn my lights off until just before getting on scene because most all drivers just don't know what to do when an emergency vehicle approaches them, and, I can't blame them as we are going almost the same speed as them on the highway and most times its just not practical or safe for many cars to try to pull over into 1 lane going 65mph. Sorry if I strayed here. To answer the question, when a police car is directly in back of me, I will pull over, but only if it is in back of me, simple.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline CRocker

• Arena
As it was once explained to me by a LEO:  "We can't catch 'em all...but, I caught you this time."

Groups don't get a "Group Ticket" to split among themselves.

Each vehicle on the road has a different:

Operator
License Plate
Insurance Card
VIN

And they would each get an individual ticket...

So, with that being said, there are no groups...there are many individual operators...if a LEO is directly behind me with lights on...I will pull over.  That's the law.

BTW...as several on this forum can attest to...I ride/drive like an old man (in the speed context, not the wobbling)...so, it's not much of an issue for me.   ;)
'02 C-10

Offline RiderRich

Yes I have seen this too....and almost stopped at one in Tenessee one time....I kept going...
and this ladies and gentlemen is called a speed   "TRAP"

Thanks for the post Strawboss

Yep, seen ths many times over the years!
2005 Concours