Author Topic: New Guy on the Forum  (Read 3007 times)

Offline WiConnie

New Guy on the Forum
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Hey guys….newbie here.
Germantown, Wisconsin.
Just took delivery of a 97 dark green Concours with 14K on it. All records, adult owners.  Original owner bought the bike then got married. Every couple of years he would bring the bike out, take it in for service, ride it a few days and put it away. He then sold it to his brother who put about 10K then bought a Harley. So here I am with a really clean, bone stock Concours. Paid $2700.00 for it and think I got a pretty square deal. I’ve got 2 daughters in college (cha ching) so I can’t make any grand plans for mods and will try to live with it as it is.

I got into motorcycles back in the early 80s with a Honda CB750F Super Sport. Rode the wheels off it then sold it and life moved on. A few years ago I bought an early 80s POS Honda CX500, fixed it up and sold it. Then did the same for 7-8 more of them. Finally purchased a 1983 CB1100F Super Sport that needed a lot of love and did a complete restore. Engine overhaul, forks, brakes, carbs, nothing went untouched. There is a wonderful bunch of guys over on the Super Sport site that I would not have been able to pull off the rebuild if not for them. I sold it this spring to pay for a summer semester for one of my daughters.

One of my CB buddies bought a Connie a couple of months ago…I rode it last week along with his ST1100. Honestly, I really liked them both but the Kawasaki fit my budget plus the low miles and being in very good shape helped with the decision.  (So did selling the boat and a project CB750F that I had picked up cheap and got running nice.  :))

I’ve been trolling here and on the COG site and have gotten a pretty good idea of what to expect from these bikes. From my first ride this morning I can tell you that I have the “Buzz” in the bars and what I think is a little bit of carb problem as it has a little hesitation as I accelerate from a dead stop. WFO is just fine but I do feel a little uh uh uh uh as I roll away in first gear, and, if I give it a little kick in the rear at freeway speeds. Otherwise everything is as it should be I guess.  I can take apart CV (Honda) carbs in my sleep so if a liberal dose or 2 (or 7) of Sea Foam doesn’t help I suppose I’ll have to put them on the bench unless any of you have some other ideas.

I see by a number of posts that the petcock can be a bit of a problem on these machines….any tips on how to keep it working correctly would be appreciated. I had a friend hydro-lock his CBX and ruin the engine, it only took a touch of the starter button so I know this can be a real problem/disaster and would like to forgo the situation.

I would like to add a cruise/throttle lock of some sort as soon as I can and work to deaden the buzz without breaking the bank. Tips or links appreciated.
If any of you would like to give me a “Top Ten” list for any of the systems on the bike I sure would appreciate it.

My new ride.
New to me 97
Germantown, WI

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: New Guy on the Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »
Well all you need is some Green Bay Yellow, and you have a Packers bike.
Welcome to the jungle, we got what you need.
If you've been loitering, then you know how smart this site is. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.
Ride safe, and ATGATT please.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
Welcome!

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:05:27 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
Welcome to Gogdom! Ride it up to this event and you can talk connies with us.......http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=142632&mo=9&tDate={d%20%272011-09-25%27}
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »
The best way to handle that situation, I believe, is to have the carbs modified with overflow tubes. If you are going to take them apart to clean them then do it then. If you weren't going to take them apart then you could do a manual petcock swap. Myself, I would rather keep things working normally so overflow tubes for me. I just haven't taken mine apart yet.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »
Welcome. Great looking bike and definitely the best color!
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:04:45 PM »
Carb overflow tubes.
Pingel manual fuel valve anyway.
A nice Givi trunk box.
Tip-over bars.
Good tires.
Stick coils.
A Fenda Extenda for the front fender.
A tank bra to save your paint.
Headlight and/or taillight modulators.
Aux driving lights and taillights.
Side cowl lights to replace reflectors.
7th gear mod, cam reset gears, etc., from http://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home
Heated grips

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
With the carbbies being a bit dodgey, definitely do the overflow tubes. 100% protection against hydrolock.

Oh, and welcome, from an ex Minnesnowtan, and Packer Backer.

Go Pack.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
I do feel a little uh uh uh uh

I have not done the overflow tubes. I just pray when I start it. So far so good.

But to help the Uh uh uh,,,, get Steves 2 minute Jett Kit and add it when you go thru the carbs.
Will really help the low end responce....

Throttle locks work fine. Not as good as a cruise control,,, but gine. Whenyour ready we can tell you 100 different ways to install them.

Welcome to the group! Get involved in a ride or 2 and you'll really like the people....

Sorry to hear the sad news aboout the colour of your bike..     Everyone here knows that Red is the fastest Color!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
Well, fastest after Silverdammit  ;)