Author Topic: Shoei Qwest helmet  (Read 1252 times)

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
Shoei Qwest helmet
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Not sure where this should go, so mods please move if necessary.

Any opinions on the Shoei Qwest helmet?  It's one of the few that is marketed as being designed for sport touring, and I'm looking at getting one.  The biggest selling point is that it's reportedly much quieter.  I've got a Scorpion EXO-400 at the moment, which fits great and has been a good helmet, but it's pretty noisy.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline ugocon

Re: Shoei Qwest helmet
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
I have it!  :D
Black...

Great quality, light and pretty quiet.
There's a position of the visor that leaves just a small space for better ventilation, if you want... and of course it's much more noisy!
But if you keep the visor in the close position it's silent.
In winter if you keep it closed you get lot of fog on the visor, though...
 :-\
But I like this helmet very much!!  ;) :)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline EmptyG

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:03:20 PM »
I bought one about 2 weeks ago now.  I had been using an inexpensive modular that was very loud.  I then purchased a Bell Revolver which was still loud, but bearable.  I finally bit the bullet and bought the Qwest since I figured I'd spend that much trying "cheaper" helmets and then buying a Shoei anyway.

It's not completely quiet, but, it's better then the modulars I was wearing.  I don't have another full face helmet to compare it against directly, but, it's as quiet as my old RF700 that I used to use on my old ZX10 (up till about 3 years ago).

I can now commute without ear plugs at highway speeds without ringing ears when I stop.  I normally wear plugs, but, now I don't immediately stop and put them in when I realize I forgot them :-)

Venting - on a 60 degree day, I can open the top vent and I get a nice cold spot on the scalp. the chin vent, behind the fairing, doesn't seem to do much.  Haven't had any warmer weather yet for more info.

Nice aside - I had stopped at the local dealer several times looking at helmets and trying on for size.  That day he said - take it for a ride, you like it, buy it.  At the same price I had been seeing it for mail order.  That attitude pretty much had it sold before I even got on the bike.

Seeya

Mark

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
I had a similar experience with Sloans in Murfreesboro (great store btw). I asked the salesman a few questions and he offered 100 off if I wanted it that day.  There was no way I was going to get the wardens approval so I had to decline, but they've won my business multiple times over for their service and friendly attitudes.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:34:54 PM »
Love mine!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Had mine (in bright yellow!) for two weeks now. Love it too so far. Was wearing a Symax II, till I took my speed triple on a long ride -- helmet lift made the day much less fun than it should have been.
The above being said about the Qwest, motorcyclegear has an incredible deal on Joe Rocket RKT-201 helmets, made by HJC. My blue one arrived yesterday -- astounding for $77
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/joe_rocket/joe_rocket_rkt201_gothic_motorcycle_helmet.html
Made in Korea, not China. Not as good as the Japanese Shoei perhaps, but very nice none the less.