Author Topic: 28th Bomb Wing wins the Fairchild Trophy  (Read 1422 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
28th Bomb Wing wins the Fairchild Trophy
« on: November 16, 2011, 05:09:21 AM »
As a member of the 28th Wing Association this brings tears of joy to my eyes.... and was especially poignant as my dad was a crew chief there in the early 50s.

28th BW garners top bomb wing honors by Tech. Sgt. Nathan Gallahan, 28th BW Public Affairs

11/15/2011 ELLSWORTH AIR FORCE BASE, S.D. (AFNS) -- After proving to be the top bomb wing in the U.S. Air Force, the 28th Bomb Wing here will bring home the Stanley Cup of trophies in the bomber community -- the Fairchild Trophy.
The announcement was made during the Global Strike Command's Global Strike Challenge competition award ceremony at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., Nov. 9.

Airmen from Ellsworth AFB competed for months in bomber operations, weapons loading, and security forces competitions. The scores from all the competing Air Force wings were then tallied. When the dust settled, the 28th Bomb Wing was named the best bomb wing in the Air Force. "This win is the result of the consistent training and dedication of Ellsworth Airmen in operations, maintenance, and mission support," said Col. Mark Weatherington, the 28th Bomb Wing commander. "I applaud the enthusiasm and effort by all the competitors and consider it a great honor to bring home the Fairchild Trophy. The long-range strike capabilities tested in the challenge remain vital to our nation's defense."

The Global Strike Challenge pits bomber, intercontinental ballistic missile, and security forces teams from across the Air Force community against one another to foster espirt de corps through competition and teamwork.

Competitors and leaders recognize outstanding performances during the competition and understand clearly how this helps to improve combat capabilities while providing valuable crosstalk on lessons learned, according to officials.

Along with the Fairchild Trophy, 28th Maintenance Group crew chiefs will bring home the "Best Bomber Crew Chief Team" award.

The last time the 28th BW won the Fairchild Trophy was in 1989. The trophy, which was originally donated by the Hughes Aircraft Corporation, is named for Gen. Muir S. Fairchild, the former U.S. Air Force Vice Chief of Staff, and has been awarded at every bomb competition since 1951.

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.