Author Topic: TPMS warning reset  (Read 19424 times)

Offline So Cal Joe

TPMS warning reset
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »
I had the front tire presser sensor replaced a few months back, To day I got the LOW BATTERY SENSOR F message. No problem, I headed to the dealer, about 10 miles and the message went away and all was normal and when I cycled through to the tire pressure screen it showed 42 F and 42 R. O.K. so it was just a fluke. Turned around and headed back on my ride,  then a few miles down the road the warning came on again. O.K. I turned around and headed to the dealer again, but this time I took a picture of the LOW BATTERY message, before I got to the dealer it went away again. I showed the service guy the picture and he said he would me a new unit.
So does it recycle itself back to normal after a while? I though it would keep flashing LOW BATTERY. Once when it did it I pushed both buttons to cancel the warning flashing and the red light came on like it is suppose to, after a short time it went off also. Is this normal? Is it like an alarm that resets itself after so long?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: TPMS warning reset
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:22:11 PM »
What was the outside temp?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
I had the front tire presser sensor replaced a few months back, To day I got the LOW BATTERY SENSOR F message. No problem, I headed to the dealer, about 10 miles and the message went away and all was normal and when I cycled through to the tire pressure screen it showed 42 F and 42 R. O.K. so it was just a fluke. Turned around and headed back on my ride,  then a few miles down the road the warning came on again. O.K. I turned around and headed to the dealer again, but this time I took a picture of the LOW BATTERY message, before I got to the dealer it went away again. I showed the service guy the picture and he said he would me a new unit.
So does it recycle itself back to normal after a while? I though it would keep flashing LOW BATTERY. Once when it did it I pushed both buttons to cancel the warning flashing and the red light came on like it is suppose to, after a short time it went off also. Is this normal? Is it like an alarm that resets itself after so long?
It is normal. There is nothing wrong with the battery voltage but something wrong with how the low battery message is triggered. Mine did that for 4 years but now have finally stopped, probably because the batteries are now finally getting old and tired after 60,000 miles.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
What was the outside temp?
The outside temp was about 70 so it wasn't that. When I was in Colorado a few weeks back i got the LOW BATTERY message from the rear unit when I started off in the morning but that went away in a few miles.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 06:14:29 PM »
It is normal. There is nothing wrong with the battery voltage but something wrong with how the low battery message is triggered. Mine did that for 4 years but now have finally stopped, probably because the batteries are now finally getting old and tired after 60,000 miles.
They are going to change the sending unit, if it still happens after that then I will have it back at the shop again. It's not normal to act that way. I only have just under 12,000 miles and it never acted like that before. I don't think I would put up with it. If it is something with the way the message is triggered they will have to figure that out, I'm not riding it with that message flashing in my face.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 08:11:34 PM »
I aggree it is not appropriate for the units to give false low battery warnings in cool or cold weather but it was very common, if not the norm for the 08 and 09s. I can't say about the later models, supposedly the units have been updated but I have not seem any claims that the issue has been resolved. I did not get the warnings durning my first winter but they were constant during winter 2, 3 and 4. None so far this fall and I have ridden in sub 40 weather.

Google passivation layer for more info. Consider a 5 dollar coin battery lasting 5 plus years  of daily use. I think that is pretty good. They should have made the battery user replaceable but then they probably don't consider tires user replaceable.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
I aggree it is not appropriate for the units to give false low battery warnings in cool or cold weather but it was very common, if not the norm for the 08 and 09s. I can't say about the later models, supposedly the units have been updated but I have not seem any claims that the issue has been resolved. I did not get the warnings durning my first winter but they were constant during winter 2, 3 and 4. None so far this fall and I have ridden in sub 40 weather.

Google passivation layer for more info. Consider a 5 dollar coin battery lasting 5 plus years  of daily use. I think that is pretty good. They should have made the battery user replaceable but then they probably don't consider tires user replaceable.

That's exactly how it started on my 2010.  Cool mornings it would come and go.  It go progressively worse over a few months.  I finally had it replaced and the problem was fixed.  BTW, because mine came and went a lot, I also took pictures of my dash with the message and the miles showing.  That made it easy for me to get the dealer to replace it under warranty.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:58:42 AM »
Thanks for the replies. If it was a cold morning I probably would not thought anything of it but it was in the 70's so I figured there was something wrong. I'll let you know how the new one works. Now I'm thinking about having the front tire replaced at the same time, if they won't charge me labor. I have 8,000 miles on it but it's not close to the wear bars, probably have 4 or 5000 more miles to go.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »
There was something about running the air pressure over 50# then back to 42 and that resets it.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 01:06:22 PM »
Perhaps the wheel was colder than that from overnight temperatures? What you are describing is usually attributed to low temperatures, starting in the low 60's or 50's F. The situation changes when the sensor warms up a bit. Those are the temperatures the sensor is soaked to, not the outside temperature though, so first thing in the morning the sensors may be quite a bit colder than the ambient temperature.

Brian

The outside temp was about 70 so it wasn't that. When I was in Colorado a few weeks back i got the LOW BATTERY message from the rear unit when I started off in the morning but that went away in a few miles.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
Mine are both now doing it "all the time" so I just called the dealer. They say bring it in and leave it.........I say why? We need to see it occur then order parts, then perform the install. I say......just order the damn sensors, this is a common problem on this bike.....they say no can do and Kawi has to approve it. I say.......Kawi better approve or no more buying a Kawi for me. So now I have to ride it in and let them see it, then they will contact Kawi and hopefully they will approve. I then need to schedule appt for the repair, and it is getting cold here in OHIO. Maybe I will just wait until Spring, I have a warranty until July. What a pain in the ass!!!!!!!! ::)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »
Take a picture.  It will last longer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »
My TPM sensors are doing the same thing as yours are Pokey.

I snapped a couple of pics with the cell and e-mailed them to my dealer's tech. He told me that the pics weren't necessary, he'd take my word for it. He wanted to know when I wanted him to change out the sensors. I told him that since there's only maybe another 4 weeks of riding season left here that I would just bring in my bike sometime in the spring. He said cool, just let him know when to order the sensors.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Well, your problem is really with your dealer so this might or might not help- Take a photo of the sensor warning with a current (or reasonably current) newspaper in the photo. Sort of like a hostage photo.  ;)  Seriously, it really does show the fault and proves that it is happening and should be enough as long as your dealer is reasonable. If they are not reasonable then there is no fix for that that I have found yet. Dropping the bike off is the usual way to deal with warranty issues but it really is not necessary in this case IMO as it is a well known problem and easy to document.

Brian

Mine are both now doing it "all the time" so I just called the dealer. They say bring it in and leave it.........I say why? We need to see it occur then order parts, then perform the install. I say......just order the damn sensors, this is a common problem on this bike.....they say no can do and Kawi has to approve it. I say.......Kawi better approve or no more buying a Kawi for me. So now I have to ride it in and let them see it, then they will contact Kawi and hopefully they will approve. I then need to schedule appt for the repair, and it is getting cold here in OHIO. Maybe I will just wait until Spring, I have a warranty until July. What a pain in the ass!!!!!!!! ::)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
I will take a picture, can't hurt things I reckon.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »
I told mine it was doing it, they replaced it. The End.

Offline R Nelson

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 01:09:02 PM »
Mine did the warning thing for a long time and finally did go out in the front tire.  I'll get the battery replaced when it's time to change the tires.  When this originally started my dealer said the same thing.  "Bring it in and leave it so we can ride it until we see this happen."  Yeah right.
My Current Rides:
2008 Kawasaki Concours
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
2006 Ford F150 SCAB, 5.4L

Offline Metal

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:43:37 PM »
I got the same exact message on my display this morning. It was a little troubling considering I just bought the bike a month and half ago. More annoying is the message wouldn't go away despite my best efforts to cycle thru the normal screens. I pulled over at a 7-11 to see if my tires were indeed low. They were not so I hopped back on the bike and headed towards the 101 fwy. When I looked down at the screen again, the error was gone. It was 32 degrees (believe it or not in SoCal) at 6 a.m. so I just figured the issue was caused by frigid the temps. I fully expect it to manifest at some point. Thanks for the suggestion on taking a pic. I'm going to do that and show the shop so they see that it's happening with less than 1000 miles on the bike.

I had the front tire presser sensor replaced a few months back, To day I got the LOW BATTERY SENSOR F message.

Offline gpete

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
I've seen that too, but only when its below 35. Maybe they didn't expect people to ride when it was that cold.
2012 Arabian Red

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
It gets worse as the units age....  I'm getting issues at 50F now...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.