Author Topic: Lake Hartwell SC/Georgia  (Read 2290 times)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
Lake Hartwell SC/Georgia
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
Anyone from this area or spend any time there.  I am looking at 2 different lots to buy and was curious what people thought of the area. 

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Lake Hartwell SC/Georgia
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
It's one of the "sleeper" areas of the south. I grew up near there and live not too far away. Pick your lots with care as usual.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline lolife

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
I live in Anderson SC.  I don't live on Lake Hartwell but there's atleast a dozen boat ramps, state parks or campgrounds within a couple minutes from my house.   :D  I live about 2 miles from the nearest boat ramp.

What do you want to know specificly?  I love living in Anderson & there's no place I would move to right now but its more with being an hour from the mountains, minutes from the lake & about 3-4 hrs to the coast.   ;)

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:37 AM »
Just want to make sure it is a safe place.  Any areas to watch out for?  I was looking in Chickasaw Pointe and Foxwood Hills in Oconee county.  Also land seems pretty cheap.  The lots I am looking at aren't right on the water, but across the street from the house on the water.  They are both about 1/3 acre buildable lots for around $2000 (give or take a little).  That just seems really low for property that close to the actual water.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:22:15 PM »
Get yourself a couple of local realtors from different companies to look around for you and call the local sheriff's office when you get it narrowed down. Also, for what it's worth, if you have college age kids, consider the GA side. It's less built up and we've got a really good program for lottery funded college tuition called "HOPE." It also works for technical colleges and it's called the "HOPE Grant."
2014 C-14 Red

Offline lolife

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Really nothing to reply but I didn't want you to think I didn't care.   :)

I'm not real familiar with those areas of Oconee County or much of Oconee County either. 

I agree with Ron Dawg, call some realtors & check into other listings in the area.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Thanks to all.   And no college age kids yet.  I have  4 and a 5 year old.  This won't be a permanent residence yet.  I plan on building a small home to use for vacationing for myself and family.  I kept looking at Smith Mountain Lake in Va and Bugs Island (Kerr Lake) but they are just so expensive that I wouldn't be able to build a house for a while.  Lake Hartwell area land is affordable enough that I could buy the land and build immediately (within a year).   

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:32:22 PM »
This is a good time to look because the lake is probably down quite a bit and you should be able to see what's in front of your property on the bottom.
2014 C-14 Red