Author Topic: GSG Sliders Did Well  (Read 9902 times)

Offline 3redzxs

GSG Sliders Did Well
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:58:46 PM »
In the parking lot at work someone hit my 14 hard. The side stand is bent on a 90. It went down and slid a few feet with only minor scratches on body work. Then of course they just left.
The problem is the initial hit did damage to the front end. The dealer told me today it's up to 3100.00 in parts on visual inspection. they won't have time to take it apart for a few days.
Has anyone had experience with progressive ins? This will be my first claim ever at 53 years old.

Offline booger

Re: GSG Sliders Did Well
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:04:31 PM »
I'm confused.  Your at $3100 and you think the sliders did well ???

Offline 3redzxs

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
The sliders protected the side as they should have. It's the front end, the initial hit.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:55 PM »
In the parking lot at work someone hit my 14 hard. The side stand is bent on a 90. It went down and slid a few feet with only minor scratches on body work. Then of course they just left.
The problem is the initial hit did damage to the front end. The dealer told me today it's up to 3100.00 in parts on visual inspection. they won't have time to take it apart for a few days.
Has anyone had experience with progressive ins? This will be my first claim ever at 53 years old.

:o

Any surveillance camera's near by?
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 06:37:23 PM »
I'm confused.  Your at $3100 and you think the sliders did well ???

I have to agree.  A $3100 bill sounds more like they didn't do a good enough job.

Any surveillance camera's near by?

If they do, it might still not matter.  We have cameras on all our parking lots at work, but the resolution is so low, you can't really tell a damn thing :(  People keep thinking "CSI" that you can "zoom in" on the recorded video.  Yeesh...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
Lol... Sliders protecting the front end, point of impact. :o
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 06:47:09 AM »
I filed a claim with Progressive about 10 years ago.  They were fairly new back then and I had a very young rep. She/they lowballed me on my totalled 6 month old Blackbird by about $1000. I objected, provided web based comps and after a firm discussion with a supervisor got a fair value.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »
I have to agree.  A $3100 bill sounds more like they didn't do a good enough job.

If they do, it might still not matter.  We have cameras on all our parking lots at work, but the resolution is so low, you can't really tell a damn thing :(  People keep thinking "CSI" that you can "zoom in" on the recorded video.  Yeesh...

Actually yes some parking lots have quite good cameras.  As Director of Parks where I live, I have purchased cameras for our parks that can take a picture that you can read the license plate at 250-300 feet away in total darkness.

Most local businesses here have fairly nice cameras to monitor there outside areas.

And no I don't watch CSI... However I do watch House, he rides a bike  ;)
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 07:19:30 AM »
I have purchased cameras for our parks that can take a picture that you can read the license plate at 250-300 feet away in total darkness.

Ours can, too, yet more like read a plate from 1,000 feet away.  But ONLY if there is a person behind it zooming in and moving every camera around constantly.  To get the whole lot in view (full zoom out) so you can record everything means you can't really see anything with any detail.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:19:33 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »

That sucks bad! Sorry to hear, but I am glad to hear that the GSG sliders did their job. I have em but haven't tested em out. *knocks on wood*
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gonzosc1

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
depending where you work cams may help a lot. other then shopping malls and the like, people for the most part follow routine weather they know it or not.  your driver may show up again.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »
My Beemer (1200RT) actually took a parking lot hit and run front end impact that was hard enough to bend the kickstand and tweak the front end, but I didn't discover what happened until a couple days later.

I left work and got on my bike, and it felt like it was leaning more than usual.  I didn't think anything of it and hit the freeway (60 mile trek) and halfway there I stopped on the right shoulder to help a stopped biker.  The bike leaned over so bad I almost dropped it.  I threw the bike on the center stand, found that Harley rider had help on the way, and left.  Coincidentally, I had a really bad fork seal leak that was making a mess (upper seal, paralever suspension, not the front shock).

When I got home, I could see the kickstand was bent, but there was no other apparent damage.  It wasn't dropped.  I assumed someone sat on it and put too much weight on the kickstand - BMW's have notoriously weak kickstands.  I dropped it off at the dealer and they fixed it under warranty.  Later, I noticed the right side reflector was missing off the right fork.  Then I saw scuff marks on the right side of the front fender.  The next time I went to work, I went to the spot where I was parked and sure enough, there was my reflector, smashed in to pieces.  Someone ran in to my bike, hitting it from the front, with enough force to cause it to bend the kickstand but not enough force to knock it over.  Unfortunately, the ghetto complex where our office was did not have any surveillance cameras and none of the neighboring businesses saw anything.

That (#$#$ fork seal leak was hella annoying until it was fixed.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:18:07 PM »

3red,
thanks for the feedback on the GSG sliders. Any update about your ensurance's reaction?

As a (funny) anecdote, some years ago I had my bike parked on a corner, just before the intersection, on the right side. A big truck came wanting to turn right and knocked my bike. I was inside a building at the time, and when I came out I only found my bike on the floor, but it had a post it on it. It said:

"Dear Sir,
I'm very sorry I knocked your bike. Here is my insurance data... yalla, yalla, yalla.
Best Regards,
Mr. XX.

PS: don't worry, my truck doesn't have a scratch.
:rotflmao:

I was lucky that he was a very stand up guy and only made an honest mistake. His ensurance actually got my bike like new without much hassle.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:17:21 AM by martin_14 »
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline redbarber

• Arena
  • '09 ABS (wife on '08 Can-AM Spyder follows)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 05:26:19 AM »
... when I came out I only found my bike on the floor, but it had a post it on it. It said:

"Dear Sir,
I'm very sorry I knocked your bike. Here is my insurance data... yalla, yalla, yalla.
Best Regards,
Mr. XX.

PS: don't worry, my track doesn't have a scratch.
:rotflmao:

I was lucky that he was a very stand up guy and only made an honest mistake. His ensurance actually got my bike like new without much hassle.  :)

With my luck, the note would read more like this:
" Dear Sir, I'm very sorry I knocked your bike.  All the witnesses probably think I'm leaving you my contact and insurance information on this note, so they won't bother to record my license plate info.  Well, unfortunately for you, I'm not.  Good luck."
If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.  Humor is all around you, make it your quest to find all of it!

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
My bike got backed into at work, it moved it 12 inches... I noticed it as soon as I walked up to it.  We have cameras everywhere, and I was able to figure out who did it when I had Security pull the footage.  There wasn't any damage, but I wasn't happy she didn't leave a note, even though she got out and looked at the bike and her car.

The word got around... went to 3rd floor Executives, came down to her department... her Manager... Supervisor... she got in trouble... I was called by Supervisor and Manager, both apologized for her neglegence.

It doesn't take much for those $$$ to add up for damage done... labor and parts. 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:04:17 AM »
I wonder how much a top case adds to visibility to help prevent these parking lot mishaps?

I sometimes think bikes should come with small tubes welded to the frame front and rear
that accept parking flags, or better yet a banner stretched from front to rear (mesh of course).
Sort of like diving flags that scuba divers use. They could have
a white silhouette of a motorcycle instead of a diagonal bar, or just lettering that says
"Hey! I'm parked here."

More crap I can dream up that will never get made, just like that auto lowering seat that
activates below 5 mph.  ::)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
don't forget that neat Minigun for those pesky trafic jams...  :cannon:
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:59 AM »
I wonder how much a top case adds to visibility to help prevent these parking lot mishaps?

I sometimes think bikes should come with small tubes welded to the frame front and rear
that accept parking flags, or better yet a banner stretched from front to rear (mesh of course).
Sort of like diving flags that scuba divers use. They could have
a white silhouette of a motorcycle instead of a diagonal bar, or just lettering that says
"Hey! I'm parked here."

More crap I can dream up that will never get made, just like that auto lowering seat that
activates below 5 mph.  ::)

don't forget that neat Minigun for those pesky trafic jams...  :cannon:

And that trunk monkey.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 12:15:05 PM »
I haver a RED 09 with a top case and a rack on it... RED t-shirt on the windscreen to stop dash branding... still got backed into!!!  :o BDC's will always be BDC's...  ::)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
I haven't heard much feedback on the GSG in a long time.  With the McEnterprise group buy quickly coming to an end, I have to made some decisions soon...

I really like the Top Block tipover protection, but they are expensive, hard to get, require fairing modification, must be removed before fairing can be removed (complicating maintenance), and the 2010+ versions are nowhere near as nice looking as the 2008/2009 ones.

I am still considering pairing the GSG with the McEnterprise small rear/bag bars.  But would that combination be as effective as the Top Block?  Has ANYONE dropped (low speed or tipover) a Concours with the GSG's installed and know if they were effective at protecting the fairings and mirrors from damage?

In addition to my analysis of the Top Guard, above, I would add that I still do not believe the Top Guard, alone, will protect the bags from a tip over (just like the GSG's won't), because the bike could rock over and smash the bags (meaning the McEnterprise small rear would still be needed).

As a final thought- the GSG's *might* be useful as a possible place to move feet to for a position change on long rides, making for an added bonus.  No?