Author Topic: GSG Sliders Did Well  (Read 9933 times)

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
Re: GSG Sliders Did Well
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 01:50:00 AM »
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
I haven't heard much feedback on the GSG in a long time.  With the McEnterprise group buy quickly coming to an end, I have to made some decisions soon...

I really like the Top Block tipover protection, but they are expensive, hard to get, require fairing modification, must be removed before fairing can be removed (complicating maintenance), and the 2010+ versions are nowhere near as nice looking as the 2008/2009 ones.

I am still considering pairing the GSG with the McEnterprise small rear/bag bars.  But would that combination be as effective as the Top Block?  Has ANYONE dropped (low speed or tipover) a Concours with the GSG's installed and know if they were effective at protecting the fairings and mirrors from damage?

In addition to my analysis of the Top Guard, above, I would add that I still do not believe the Top Guard, alone, will protect the bags from a tip over (just like the GSG's won't), because the bike could rock over and smash the bags (meaning the McEnterprise small rear would still be needed).

As a final thought- the GSG's *might* be useful as a possible place to move feet to for a position change on long rides, making for an added bonus.  No?

The surest way to never drop your bike is to install some protection. That's what I did with the GSGs in front and now I'm going to be double sure by ordering the MCEs for the rear. To me, for the money, this seems to be the best combo.

I agree that with the GSGs, or the Top Blocks, only, that the bags could still take a hit. The Top Blocks look the best but are too spendy for my blood. Plus, as I said, I don't think they'll keep the bags off the ground in a real tip over.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:45 AM »
You should also check out the B&G Adventure bars.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/6763/602/

Indeed those look MUCH better than the Mc for the front, although they still have the issue of having to be removed before the fairings can be removed.  At least it looks to be "no cut".   It also looks like the protection is mostly so high that it might not prevent contact in a tip over, but it is hard to tell much of anything from the few pics.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:05:09 AM »
Progressive is fairly easy to deal with. Like any insurance company, the adjuster will probably offer you about 75% of the actual value in the hopes that you will take it. Just stick to your guns and make them pay full book value (don't expect any more or less). Also, remember that you have $3000.00 in accessory coverage...

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:58 AM »
I am still considering pairing the GSG with the McEnterprise small rear/bag bars.  But would that combination be as effective as the Top Block?  Has ANYONE dropped (low speed or tipover) a Concours with the GSG's installed and know if they were effective at protecting the fairings and mirrors from damage?

I am convinced that if my GSG's would have been installed when I dropped my bike in the parking lot,  neither the front fairings or the mirror would have been touched.  Now that they are installed, of course it won't happen again.

In addition to my analysis of the Top Guard, above, I would add that I still do not believe the Top Guard, alone, will protect the bags from a tip over (just like the GSG's won't), because the bike could rock over and smash the bags (meaning the McEnterprise small rear would still be needed).

The bags won't get "smashed" just scraped badly at the bottom.  Nothing a little sandpaper and touch up paint won't fix.

As a final thought- the GSG's *might* be useful as a possible place to move feet to for a position change on long rides, making for an added bonus.  No?

No.  They are in way too close to be a comfortable foot rest.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
That's odd, i didnt seem to have posted a message in my quote. Anyway guess what happened last night. Yep I dropped the bike in the driveway.  Damage?  None to the fairings or mirror. The mirror did contact but partially folded. The side case took some scratches but relatively minor ones. The last time I dropped the bike I didnt have them and it caused a lot more damaged.  The GSG end cap is pretty munched but big deal. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 01:05:59 PM »
That's odd, i didnt seem to have posted a message in my quote.

When quoting and editing the message, you have to pay mind to the quote start and end tags ( "[ quote ]" and "[ / quote ]" ).   Not a big whoop, I just had to search for what you said :)

guess what happened last night. Yep I dropped the bike in the driveway.

Oooh, sorry to hear that.  It is never a fun thing.  What year bike?  What happened exactly?

Damage?  None to the fairings or mirror. The mirror did contact but partially folded. The side case took some scratches but relatively minor ones.

That sounds promising but also disappointing that the mirror did contact.  So you are saying the only contact points were the GSG, the rear "bag" and the mirror?  I assume it did NOT cantilever over (pivot over the GSG) in order to make contact with the mirror, right?  Or could you tell?

The last time I dropped the bike I didnt have them and it caused a lot more damaged. 

Had you repaired the damage from the previous fall(s)?  Just wondering if there might have been other damage that was hidden by previous damage.

The GSG end cap is pretty munched but big deal.

Yeah, easily replaceable and not too expensive (looks like $60)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
When quoting and editing the message, you have to pay mind to the quote start and end tags ( "[ quote ]" and "[ / quote ]" ).   Not a big whoop, I just had to search for what you said :)

Oooh, sorry to hear that.  It is never a fun thing.  What year bike?  What happened exactly?

That sounds promising but also disappointing that the mirror did contact.  So you are saying the only contact points were the GSG, the rear "bag" and the mirror?  I assume it did NOT cantilever over (pivot over the GSG) in order to make contact with the mirror, right?  Or could you tell?

Had you repaired the damage from the previous fall(s)?  Just wondering if there might have been other damage that was hidden by previous damage.

Yeah, easily replaceable and not too expensive (looks like $60)

I'm going to have to do a slight retraction of my previous post now I've had time to go over the bike more carefully.  Damage was:

1. Minor scrapes to the front lower fairing.  Nowhere as bad as the previous drop but still there was contact.

2.  Mirror lower edge paint ground off like last time. I'm pretty sure the bike didn't cantilever over but not 100%.

3. Peg feeler broke off at the peg mount. Need a new peg if I want to fix that.

4. No apparent contact with the shifter. The last drop bent it.

5. Can't tell if it contacted the swing arm drive pivot point as it was munched last time.

Bike is a blue 2010. I still have the colorrite touch up pens from last time.  A little kerosene, fine sandpaper for the deep scratches and the touch up pens do a great job.  The "base" color is a perfect match for the black portion of the lower fairing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2012, 06:08:37 AM »
Sorry to hear about the drop T, how did you manage that?

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
Combination of a steep driveway and attempting to do a walking tight maneuver.  I lost my footing and down it went.

Offline wendel

« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Sounds to me when you factor in the cost of the GSG and the damage that still occurred, you are better off with the top block or MC bars. I remember years ago there was a group buy going on for them. I almost bought them. I would be highly disappointed if my bike received that much damage from the type of drop you had and I had crash protection installed on the bike. I plan on practicing on a marked Police Course in Ocala and do not want to worry about protecting the  bike. The body panels in front can be removed without removing the bars with a little modification to the panels that can not be seen on re-assembly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:11:52 PM by wendel »
2012 C14

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »
I concur and was hoping someone with an 08/09 would have stepped up for development of the new Canyon's by MCEnterprises but that did not work out.  Now I am in the place of deciding between looks and partial protection(GSG), less than stellar looks but great protection(bathroom bars), or an arm and a leg for the Top Blocks when I can afford them.  Looking like I may wait for MCEnterprises project being developed for the 09 model after reading these type of posts.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 01:15:24 PM »
My rear MCE bars came today. I'll get 'em installed soon and take some pics to show how, or not, the front GSGs and the rear MCEs work together.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
My rear MCE bars came today. I'll get 'em installed soon and take some pics to show how, or not, the front GSGs and the rear MCEs work together.