Author Topic: Corbin drivers seat question  (Read 4624 times)

Offline 4cedars

Corbin drivers seat question
« on: February 14, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
I emailed Corbin with a question regarding their 2 pc. seat.

I told them I am wanting to move my fuel cell forward and down off the rack and was thinking their drivers seat section would be a great option for me rather than cut my seat down or get a second seat and have it cut down, Spencerized and  recovered. I did not know how it was secured in place or if it needed the passenger section to lock it in place. This was my only concern; how it secured to the bike.

The response I received baffled the h... out of me. They were not sure if the tank would work and asked if it were possible to bring the bike to them in California.  :banghead: WTF!

The tank working or not is my concern, and I am in IL, h... no I cant bring the bike to you in CA  :o

I should have just asked the group here.

Anybody out there have a Corbin 2 pc. that can answer my question. Can I use the drivers section only and how is it secured to the bike?

Thanks, John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline rush2112

• Arena
Re: Corbin drivers seat question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 06:14:38 PM »
Good excuse for a roadtrip!!  ;D
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Hi John,

The driver's seat can be mounted securely independant of the pillion seat (has to be to work with the Smugglers Trunk).  The seat comes with a bracket with two longer screws that mount to the bike just in front of the fuse box that is in front of the toolbox.

If I remember I'll take a picture for you tonight.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:27 PM »
Hi John,

The driver's seat can be mounted securely independant of the pillion seat (has to be to work with the Smugglers Trunk).  The seat comes with a bracket with two longer screws that mount to the bike just in front of the fuse box that is in front of the toolbox.

If I remember I'll take a picture for you tonight.

+1... I agree.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
The front seat will latch in place on its own, but it will not be secured by the key lock. The key lock only locks the passenger seat, which in turn covers the latch that holds the front seat in place. If you're tank covered the back of the driver seat in the same manner that the rear seat does, then you're probably in good shape.

I took a quick photo of the front seat installed, with the rear seat removed. There is a "mark" across the back of the front seat showing how far the rear seat extends over it. You can see the spring-loaded latch that secures the front seat.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »
Perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it, John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »
but it will not be secured by the key lock. The key lock only locks the passenger seat, which in turn covers the latch that holds the front seat in place. If you're tank covered the back of the driver seat in the same manner that the rear seat does, then you're probably in good shape.
Ahh yes, poor choice of words on my part - by securely I meant will not fly off if you are setup for solo :D
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:40:39 AM »
Just thought I would add some bigger pictures for you showing where the Corbin bracket hooks up.  You likely can't use those bolts under the bracket as a mounting point for your cell if that's what you were planning.
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »
Glenn, I plan to use the allen headed bolts on each side of the tool box to mount my forward tank brackets.

In looking at the room I have available to me I should be able to put the tank in a location so I am able to mount a back pad to the tank.

Thanks for the detailed photos of the bracket and latch. That looks like the direction I am going right now.

I think a Tanji style tank with the Corbin drivers seat would be a unbeatable combo

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:13:12 PM »
EDIT: SEAT SOLD!
I have a plain jane stock height Corbin (driver's) with hardware sitting in my shed if you are interested in it. Top one in the photo.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:04:37 PM by shreveportSS »
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline stratochile

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:14:25 PM »
corbin is the worst company i have ever dealt with!

Offline blackmax

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:16:14 AM »
If the seat doesn't sell please contact me.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 07:28:33 AM »
Just thought I would add some bigger pictures for you showing where the Corbin bracket hooks up.  You likely can't use those bolts under the bracket as a mounting point for your cell if that's what you were planning.
I have a Corbin seat (purchased from a seller on here) with no bracket. I never use just the front seat so it's no big deal, but I am going to see if I can get just the bracket from Corbin. If you use both front and back together, the seats are both secure, but that would make it even more-so.

Thanks for the great pictures of it since I have never seen it before.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline jonathan

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 09:16:13 AM »
I have a Corbin seat (purchased from a seller on here) with no bracket. I never use just the front seat so it's no big deal, but I am going to see if I can get just the bracket from Corbin. If you use both front and back together, the seats are both secure, but that would make it even more-so.

Thanks for the great pictures of it since I have never seen it before.

I don't see how a 2 part seat could be secure when only the rearmost part is secured to the bike. I have a Corbin and a Smuggler (with the bracket) and I don't see how you could have ridden the bike without that bracket securing the rider's seat, because it doesn't lock in to anything else.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »
I don't see how a 2 part seat could be secure when only the rearmost part is secured to the bike. I have a Corbin and a Smuggler (with the bracket) and I don't see how you could have ridden the bike without that bracket securing the rider's seat, because it doesn't lock in to anything else.

When I get home today, I will see if I can pull up enough to move the front seat. I have never noticed any shifting at all while riding and it seems to be secure.

I am still going to see if I can order the bracket from Corbin. I did e-mail them a while back and never got a response, so I will call them now.
Scott
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 12:11:00 AM »
I called Corbin in Hollister and was told they don't sell the bracket on it's own but I could order it through a dealer. WTF? Stupid, but whatever. I will go to the dealer in my city and talk to them when I get a chance.

I did grab the seat and try to lift and while it's not easy to move, you can see the two seats lift and if you were to pull hard enough, you might be able to remove the front and leave the back hanging onto the back post. Obviously I am not going to do that and it is safe for normal riding without the bracket (I have already gone 4k miles without the bracket), but I will order it anyway.
Scott