Author Topic: Corbin Trunk and Phils Modification  (Read 14655 times)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Corbin Trunk and Phils Modification
« on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
I recently purchased a used Corbin Trunk and sold my Givi E55.  The E55 was an outstanding trunk and if the Corbin had a quick release I would have used the Givi for local use and the Corbin for trips.  First things first, the Corbin is LARGE.  It does have lines to match the bike and the color is pretty close.  It has integrated brake and running lights which is a plus.  The backrest is very nice and it can hold a good amount of items.  I chose to make a change from the Givi E55 because I am setting my bike up for touring purposes and the backrest was a requirement.  I have installed items such as a V-Stream, Mayer Saddle, Passenger Boards, Highway pegs, and a few other items to make longer trips more comfortable.  I appreciate the sport aspect of the bike but I cannot afford to get caught enjoying it if you know what I mean.     

When I initially installed the Corbin it did not fit the bike and my wife.  The backrest was angled too far backwards and the trunk itself was too far back.  The backrest height was ok but I wanted it to be just a little higher.  The body lines that Corbin took the time to integrate did not correspond with the same angle of the saddlebags and I noticed it right away.  The trunk drooped in the rear and stuck out way to far.  Also the rear factory brake light was hard to see due to the trunks length and proximity to the tail light.  The Corbin bolts directly to the rear rails and does not use a rack.  I know these are small things but I suspect some of you guys are like me.  I contacted Phil who IMO is the resident expert here on the rack area and fabrication.  After about a month of collaboration he came up with a great solution for all of my issues with trial and error applications.  The changes in appearance may take a second look to catch, but as with things like risers and other mods a small difference in measurements here or there can make all the difference in comfort.  In addition the trunk now has a little front to rear adjustment if needed to find the perfect location thanks to Phil.   

Although the trunk is very large I felt more comfortable loading much more weight into the Givi E55.  The Corbin is a heavy trunk without adding a lot of weight.  I will now load lighter things in the trunk and place the heavier things in the side bags.  Moving the trunk forward puts more weight on the bike itself instead of hanging off the rear, which hopefully reduces stress on both the trunk and the factory rails.  I think Corbin could have done a much better job with fabrication and design.  If it was made just a little more smaller with less length and had a quick release option it would be 10X the trunk it is.  I hope this helps anyone interested in the Corbin Trunk as I found very little info on the web.  Here are some photos of the materials and the trunk with before and after shots.   

Before, notice the body lines and location of the trunk in relation to the bike and passenger:

After

Backrest angle and height before:

After
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:13:27 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Corbin Trunk and Phils Modification
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »
Pictures of Phils great fabrication:

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:08:02 AM »
Additional photos

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:02:56 AM by 556ALPHA »

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:49 AM »
Last Photos

Before

After

Before

After
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:58:31 PM by 556ALPHA »

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
Thanks Alpha! Well done Phil!
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Phil, I'm not saying yes just yet, but will you be able to make a set of these for me too?
I have a bid in for a used Corbin, and I may need these at a later date.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

MGvalerio

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:34 AM »
 556ALPHA  :)
 il passeggero dove si regge ora con le mani,..dalle foto  sembra che dai maniglioni non sia più possibile ora ???

MGvalerio. :)

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 12:15:53 PM »
556ALPHA  :)
 il passeggero dove si regge ora con le mani,..dalle foto  sembra che dai maniglioni non sia più possibile ora ???

MGvalerio. :)

where a passenger stands now with his hands, .. from the pictures it seems that the panic is no longer possible now
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »
My passenger doesn't use these as grab handles.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:00:28 PM »
They are still accessible, the box only came forward a little more than 1.25 inches.  You can see the room for the hands in this photo

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 02:46:05 PM »
What is the deal with the knobs on the side cases?
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 03:10:51 PM »
I used bottle tops with JB Weld and made keys that stay in the bags unless there are valuables inside and I am away from the bike in public. 

Offline jqram35

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 03:13:30 PM »
Plastic 20 oz? Like the idea..
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »
As funny as it may sound I went down the sauce aisle until I found something I liked both as a condiment and as a texture/color match.  I cannot remember what I used but there were a ton of choices. 

Offline jqram35

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 03:49:58 PM »
Worcestershire sauce lol
Jeff

Offline scgoan

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
Phil, I'm not saying yes just yet, but will you be able to make a set of these for me too?

+1 Phil could you give us a quote? I agree Corbin needs to make a few changes in their trunk. However, first and foremost they need to work on the quality control. The paint job on my trunk is cracking all over the place. It has the worst paint job that I have ever seen.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
If you guys want to add photos of your bike with the Corbin mounted I think that would be valuable so please feel free to post them..  Thanks.

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
Beautiful kit.  The Corbin trunk really looks great in Candy Red.  I've gotta to hand it to Corbin.  They are not afraid to step out of the norm to create something remarkable, knowing not everybody is going to like it.

I do like the fore-n-aft adjustability with the adapter mounts.  Very nicely machined pieces.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

MGvalerio

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
They are still accessible, the box only came forward a little more than 1.25 inches.  You can see the room for the hands in this photo

OK,...veramente bella la tua GTR e molto comoda ora. ;DOK, your GTR ... really nice and very comfortable now

Offline Cuda

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
I bought a Corbin seat and was looking at those trunks but they sit soooo far back ???
I called Corbin and asked why don't they make something in between and they said to keep checking because they are working on a Concours 14 in their shop, she said they are working on Cop bike storage trunks  right now and who knows what might come out ? I never plan on having a passenger so I might get a Cop trunk ?
Has anyone taken that BIG TRUNK and put it where the rear seat is??????
I guess you would have to have a rear hinge so you could still get at the side storage.
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver