Author Topic: H4 LED Fitment  (Read 20036 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: H4 LED Fitment
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
It took a long time, but I got the HID kit out and both LED bulbs in.  I did have a ride tonight, but mostly urban which is not the best for testing.  Might be several weeks before a rural night ride.  Light output is certainly lower and bluer.  For some reason, the cutoff is sharp on the right and kicked up some on the left... very confused so more fiddling needed.

So far, I think I probably made a mistake removing the HID kit (which is pretty much a permanent removal now) but it is livable.  The kit was aging- some of the wires had cuts in it, the high/low beams were wobbly and those cables were always coming unplugged, the igniter in the cowl would never stay mounted and was moving around, etc.  So I am trying to tell myself I had to remove it, anyway.

Lots of photos taken, but too tired now to do the 1+ hour worth of work editing, labeling, posting, etc.  Perhaps tomorrow.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 05:43:43 AM »
If you get 5 what? 

On these bulbs, the scale is 1 to 13, "7" is a zero degree tilt.  I measured by eye, and "8" does appear to be a bit more tilt than a standard halogen bulb tilt.  There is no way I can really measure this stuff.  I might settle on 7.5 or something.  Not sure yet.

I meant 7 lol
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 06:04:46 AM »
I meant 7 lol

Do you remember what number it is set to right now?  In your photo it was "8", but I don't know if you changed it.  I am fairly certain I have the scale backwards for some reason (and will edit the other post).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »
Do you remember what number it is set to right now?  In your photo it was "8", but I don't know if you changed it.  I am fairly certain I have the scale backwards for some reason (and will edit the other post).

I have it at 8 as per my original pics

Looking at it from the front I have 1 on the Left at the 9 oclock position sweeping clockwise through to 13 in the 3 oclock position
--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2017, 06:40:52 AM »
It took a long time, but I got the HID kit out and both LED bulbs in.  I did have a ride tonight, but mostly urban which is not the best for testing.  Might be several weeks before a rural night ride.  Light output is certainly lower and bluer.  For some reason, the cutoff is sharp on the right and kicked up some on the left... very confused so more fiddling needed.

So far, I think I probably made a mistake removing the HID kit (which is pretty much a permanent removal now) but it is livable.  The kit was aging- some of the wires had cuts in it, the high/low beams were wobbly and those cables were always coming unplugged, the igniter in the cowl would never stay mounted and was moving around, etc.  So I am trying to tell myself I had to remove it, anyway.

Lots of photos taken, but too tired now to do the 1+ hour worth of work editing, labeling, posting, etc.  Perhaps tomorrow.

Sounds like you've done a lot of work and spent a lot of time on this Max? Well done!

Maybe you should spend some of that time flushing out the ancient brake/clutch fluids in your bike instead eh?     :stirpot:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2017, 07:41:33 AM »
Sounds like you've done a lot of work and spent a lot of time on this Max? Well done!

Maybe you should spend some of that time flushing out the ancient brake/clutch fluids in your bike instead eh?     :stirpot:

H e certainly has :)

But as the OP of this thread I'll stand by my original thoughts.

These particular LEDS are (based on the MK1 Human eyeball) better than the OEM halogen and IMHO represent good bang for the buck and for ease of fitment although if you don't like a slight blue tinge then you're sort of stuck (unless anyone starts producing lower colour temp ones)

Yes I agree HIDs are "brighter" however previous experience with HIDs direct in reflector based headlights has not been good although I do admit I havent tried them on the GTR.

IMHO HIDs are very good if used in a proper projector setup , anything else and its a case of YMMV
--

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
I certainly appreciate what you've brought to this forum!   :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
IMHO HIDs are very good if used in a proper projector setup , anything else and its a case of YMMV

It is apparent I will never really be happy with anything less [than projectors].  I am spoiled by the G37, and have been for many years now.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 07:58:43 AM »
I have it at 8 as per my original pics

Looking at it from the front I have 1 on the Left at the 9 oclock position sweeping clockwise through to 13 in the 3 oclock position

Yep, I screwed it up somehow.  Already edited the previous post and will have to take them out and fix it. Will move it to "6" or "6.5".  Thanks.

Too much time.  I wish I was happier with the results.

Indeed.  But I understand electronics very well and know little about brakes... and doing the the brakes wrong can kill me.  I am still waiting on my friend to help.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
If you are still needing help when it gets warmer, I'll come down and give you a hand...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
I certainly appreciate what you've brought to this forum!   :thumbs:

thanks, I think ;)
--

Offline Conrad

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
snip...

Indeed.  But I understand electronics very well and know little about brakes... and doing the the brakes wrong can kill me.  I am still waiting on my friend to help.

Not doing the brakes at all can also be bad for your health.

Really Max, flushing the F&R brakes is not difficult or involved at all. Once you do it you'll wonder why you put it off. The clutch on the other hand can be very easy or a major pain, no in-between.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
Thanks for the pointers and offers.  I might even take Jim up on it (I need to do both clutch and brakes).

Back to the bulbs.... here are the photos.    The first is a comparison between the Philips Xtreme Vision H4 (which also has a blue tint on the bulb glass for low beams) and the A&R HID kit.  The second set is between the G6 LED and the HID.  Of particular interest is the difference between low and high beam illumination on the LED (evenly fills the entire reflector) and the HID (which barely fills the bottom for some reason).

Also, the color difference is huge.  The tinted H4 looks quite yellow compared to the HID.  It is the reverse when you compare the LED to the HID.

Please note that the beam pattern is wrong, since I had the bulbs adjusted accidentally for left hand drive and will need to fix that.  I noted as such on the photos.  I also did not have time to properly aim/align the two headlights to each other (up/down).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
continued...

UPDATE: The photos were BEFORE I moved it to "8" which is neutral for a correct, straight cutoff with no stray light.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:57:46 PM by maxtog »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
Great- it is good to see (no pun intended) this amount of progress 'cause the initial stab at H4 retrofit LEDs was downright horrible. The cut- off line on this new type does look good.

Agreed about HIDs in reflectors being very hit or miss. I tried a set of H7s in a set of Ford reflectors and they were frankly unusable; the light did not really have any discernible pattern at all, which means no cut- off line. Absolutely atrocious. The H4 bi- xenon HID setup in a C-14 reflector is actually surprisingly good and quite similar to the original lamp's pattern, including a sharp cut- off.

Still, it is good to see improvements to forward lighting in general. The one thing I fear riding, especially at night, are 'forest rats' (deer) and better lighting, especially off the sides of the road, is a big benefit in spotting a glowing eyeball before that thing decided to jump into the center of my lane.

Brian

<snip>

These particular LEDS are (based on the MK1 Human eyeball) better than the OEM halogen and IMHO represent good bang for the buck and for ease of fitment although if you don't like a slight blue tinge then you're sort of stuck (unless anyone starts producing lower colour temp ones)

Yes I agree HIDs are "brighter" however previous experience with HIDs direct in reflector based headlights has not been good although I do admit I havent tried them on the GTR.

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
Thanks for the pointers and offers.  I might even take Jim up on it (I need to do both clutch and brakes).

I work for beer and steaks..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
I work for beer and steaks..

Hmm... well, I don't eat meat and I don't drink alcohol.  Would you work for chocolate?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2017, 04:52:06 PM »
Wow, that would free up a LOT of my days!

Brian

Hmm... well, I don't eat meat and I don't drink alcohol.  Would you work for chocolate?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2017, 05:48:11 PM »
No longer have to get up before dawn to go hunting and brewing?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
No, not those things but thinking about various form of grain alcohol, buying and transporting said alcohol, consuming the alcohol and then waiting for the effects of said alcohol to wear off. Similar thing with the meat except even more choices (I do not drink many different kinds of liquor or spirits while I do consume many different types of meat (Boys!)). Plus there is the whole how to prepare / serve / garnish said meats. If all the time I spend thinking about and actually procuring and consuming these products could be used on other things, why I might just live forever! Which begs the question: Do vegans really live longer or does it just seem longer?    :rotflmao:

But actually, as a group, non- alcohol consuming humans do not only live longer, they live healthier. Add to that that vegans who are also teetotalers actually outlive  teetotalers by a fair margin, again as a group. There are plenty of sub- groups of people around to compare the results and I am a believer.

The true horror is living well and longer only to have one's retinas burned out by those evil folk who use the wrong bulb in the wrong housing.... oh, the huge manatees.

Brian

No longer have to get up before dawn to go hunting and brewing?